Men's Fragrances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jan 2011

Jubilation xxv is the only one that's really bowled me over out of that range . I recently bought a large decant of Dia Man and it is pretty rank. Then again, I am not a fan of 'powdery' scents.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Dia Man is the most wearable of the men's line, like a refined, upscale version of Cartier's Declaration. Jubilation XXV is beautiful, but the drydown lacks a little something. I wish he had laid off some of the synthetics that make it last forever.

Most of the line is excellent, but not high on my to-purchase list because of the price. I have Dia Man, and bought & gave away Gold because of the over-the-top-ness of it.

The ladies Memoire (in the black bottle) is worth trying if you haven't.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Jan 2011

Maybe it's the strength of it that I have a hard time with. It's one of those 'instant headache' scents for me, unfortuantely.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Which, Dia? I find it really subtle, but yes, sometimes any given scent can strike a chord that doesn't sit well.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Jan 2011

Yeah, Dia. It's probably the baby powder note that is the deal-breaker for me.

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

i just smelled the new dries van noten x fm and its interesting . its spicy verrrrrrrry heavy on the saffron , the sandalwood does smell good and its there and noticeable but that fuckin saffron , goddam lil too much for me . the girl told me this perfumes supposed to be ugly pretty on purpose and acknowledged that its a difficult one to appreciate at 1st , similar to how ppl either love or hate musc rav . i didnt spray much on me but thankfully the sillage doesnt blast like a fuckin trumpet , so far its staying close to the skin and even after some rubbed off from walkin around in my coat i can still smell it a bit . the 2 ppl with me had divided opinions . one girl is very familiar with high end perfumes and said she "just likes it " , the other whos not so familiar said its " kinda nice but honestly i dont think i like it " . theres some weird stuff goin on here , its sandalwoody and spicy and somewhat sweet but its also kinda green vegetal root , maybe iris ? i feel like it kinda evolved in waves and i wonder if that was on purpose to sorta emulate a designers progression / evolution over time . if that was the case i think the effect is kinda cool but idk if id have noticed it if i wasnt alrdy aware that this was a collab w/ a designer

rite now w/ only 2 sprays i think it fits rite along w/ fm's stuff , its a grown up perfume if that makes sense . cant say i like it enough to buy a bottle but im definately interested in gettin a 10ml spray of it just to add to my collection if they make those availabl

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

interesting, thanks for the update.

I happen to love saffron, so I'm hoping it's as heavy as you say. Sandalwood is whatever. I'm guessing you're correct on the iris, now that it's cheaper, it makes everything smells expensive (see Chanel's exclusive line).

Malle has a great concept, great perfumers, packaging, prestige, etc., but honestly, only 1 has moved me enough to pull out my wallet (Fleur de Cassie). Almost all of them are a solid 4/5, but I wish he'd let his perfumers go a littler crazy and produce some real masterpieces. Of course, many would argue these points with me, but his line is not unlike Amouage's. All the elements are there, but still mostly missing that *spark*.

Comment

• jogu
                  • Jun 2009

one of the 1st things i thought of after i smelled all that goddam saffron was " dane will probably like this shit " cos i remembered u mentioning you like saffron troub . i also think the exact same way bout malles perfumes , theres less than a handful that i liked enough to buy even tho i appreciate the others but the ones i did buy i LOVE , im still kinda obsessed w/ portrait , even on days i dont wear it i kinda crave the smell of it

Comment

• unwashed
                    • Dec 2008

If you like saffron, have you tried Black Saffron by Byredo? I kinda liked it, but was more interested in Pulp. I just discovered these when I was checking out perfumes at Colette.

I ended up with three new bottles last weekend. Was in need for serious amounts, was living off samples for months now :)
                    Bought my new favorite: Granville from Dior and restocked my Bois d'Argent (need this in my life forever). And also trying CdG Vettiveru.
                    Grailed link

Comment

• Castor
                      • Nov 2009

FM I find easy to love. I own Vetiver Extroardinaire, Musc Ravageur, L'Eau d'Hiver and Carnal Flower. LdH was my first niche fragrance purchase. Fleur de Cassie or Portrait are sure to be purchased soon.
                      Originally posted by DRRRK
                      The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Thanks for the review, jogu! Like Dane, your review actually turns me on to the potential of the scent. I love saffron as well and similarly the only part of the description that makes me want to shy away is the sandalwood.

The green, rooty, saffron all sounds obscure enough for me and I am now kinda anxious to try something I otherwise wasn't excited about.

How did you get the sample?

Comment

• wurm
                          • Nov 2010

just wanted to say thanks to the people that recommended cdg vettiveru to me. i wavered ordering it for a bit but i just got it and it's soooo good. will definitely look forward to using it. already prefer it to chanel allure homme sport and l'eau d'issey (among others).

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

i have a question, i've like tom ford's tuscan leather lately. what else on the market would smell similar (i.e. like leather) ? also what is the general opinion on "whiskey" colognes?

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Knize Ten is the first thing that comes to mind for leather.

Comment

• wilbur
                                • Nov 2011

Dane, I see you mentioned not wanting deodorant to overpower your perfume earlier in the thread. I'm curious as to what deodorant you use, scented or not.

I don't like using the deodorant counterparts that many perfumes have, mostly because they don't contain aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly, which is the antiperspirant ingredient.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎