Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coccodrillo
    • Nov 2009

Dane - tried samples of the CDG incense series - and am surprised to find that the best on my skin are Jaisalmer + Quarzate.

You are so right about me being attracted to iris - I never realized that so many things I like are permeated with it.

Given your insight - can you point me in the direction of an amazing patchouli(patchouli heavy blend/melange): I have tried and like Montale's Patchouli Leaves and PG Intrigant Patchouli. Have grown to like when dabbed - SL's Borneo 1834 and am pondering retrying Coromondel and sampling Santa Maria Novella's Patchouli.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Sounds like yiuve tried most of the best Patchouli heavy stuff, but maybe give Dior's Patchouli Imperiale a shot. Another downmarket fav would be Lolita Lempicka. L'Artisan also makes a really interesting rendition.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• coccodrillo
        • Nov 2009

Thanks Dane. Tell me - any thoughts on an amazing sandalwood? Have just spritzed Lorenzo Villoresi's Sandalo -and am looking for something different than my Bois des Iles....

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Most are terrible and have nothing to do with sandalwood. Lutyens makes a few that are decent, but not really sandalwood. Sycomore has a nice sandalwood note if you're okay with vetiver stealing most of the show.

Otherwise sandalwood scents are rare. India's restrictions on harvesting have changed the perfume market completely.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• coccodrillo
            • Nov 2009

Have Sycomore - love it in warm weather. I agree that since there's no more Mysore - I don't know what is even worth trying. That said - LV Sandalo has a creamy quality that is very close to Mysore essential oil I have and am trying to replace.

Comment

• coccodrillo
              • Nov 2009

Dane - your mention of SL Iris Silver Mist motivated a resniff of my wax samples - and have fallen for Iris Silver Mist and for De Profundis. The latter being an incense with just the right amount of florals to keep it from being bone dry.

Add to this how dabbing Borneo 1834 has completely changed the way I perceive it - I think I can tick patchouli - off the list.

Do you prefer spraying or dabbing scents from Serge Lutens?

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

I'm a sprayer, which is annoying with bell jars obviously. I buy little atomizers. Dabbing just doesn't give the full effect unless you really pour it on.

ISM is absolutely essential in every perfume lovers wardrobe, even if, like me, you never wear it. You need something to remind you how a bottle of liquid can evoke such emotion.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                  • Nov 2009

My impression from the wax sample is: Clarity + Serenity in a bottle.

My favorite SA at the Jardin du Palais Royal store says that Serge Lutens doesn't like atomizer (but makes them available for those who do) and feels that dabbing makes the "ritual" more personal - thus making the perfume more personal.

There are quite a few bottles that have gone unpurchased because I was overwhelmed by the cloud of "funk" in which I found my self enveloped.

She also said that Filles de Berlin is the perfect modern rose. Peppery and spicey gorgeousness- she is in love - and this is from a non-rose lover. She's been wearing it not stop this month and is sending a sample. .

Apparently it's exclusive to this store until March. Have you sniffed it yet?

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

I have not. Looking forward to trying it though. I'll probably just buy it blind.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                      • Nov 2009

I think your brave! If you're interested - I can send you more info when the sample comes.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                        • Nov 2009

Forgot to ask what your thoughts are on Maison Francis Kurkdjian Paris?

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Do report back on the Lutens.

Kurkdjian is a brilliant perfumer that seems to excel under the right directive, but his own line, like Marc Buxton's, lacks something.

Comment

• Castor
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            Do report back on the Lutens.

Kurkdjian is a brilliant perfumer that seems to excel under the right directive, but his own line, like Marc Buxton's, lacks something.
                            Agree. I can't wait to try the new Lutens (going to buy it or Portrait of a Lady from FM) for a new Rose to compete with Pasteum Rose.

Totally disappointed with both Buxton and Kurkdjian's new lines and I love their work in general.
                            Originally posted by DRRRK
                            The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                              • Nov 2009

Dane - you set it oooofffff! Can't get MC Hammer's Can't touch this out of my head.

That said - perhaps it will become a kind of Pavlovian signal that will pop up preventing me from too much random sampling

Comment

• jogu
                                • Jun 2009

dries van noten x frederic malle

wonder who else hes gonna be working with .
                                i think im gonna bite the bullet and finally order the fleur mecanique

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎