Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nictan
    • Jul 2009

need some help here. we dont have any good perfume stores in singapore, at least not that i know of, so i cant get to test any of the stuff in person. and the shipping for most samples online add up to too much.

so basically, my current go-to fragrance is Wonderwood by CDG. im looking for something less 'natural' smelling to add variety depending on my mood.

not exactly sure how to put it into words, but something less 'natural' and more industrial(?) and mechanic. not even sure if theres anything like that out there, but just something in mind.

i was kinda excited when i heard about Amazingreen with the gunpowder and smoke element but was greatly disappointed when i tested it in paris last month.

any recommendations?

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

But you do!

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• nictan
        • Jul 2009

damn i dont even know! lol will check them out soon

thanks!

anyway, still the question remains. anything to recommend?

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Sorry, forgot that part. From the options available to you:

-Le Labo Patchouli 24 (doesn't smell like patchouli...more like smoke)
          -Histoires des Parfums Petroleum
          -Etat Libre d'Orange Rien
          -Miller Harris L'Air de Rien
          -CDG Odeur 71
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• nictan
            • Jul 2009

thanks dane. will take note of those :)

Comment

• coccodrillo
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
              Do report back on the Lutens.
              La fille de Berlin - on my skin Lipstick Roses older more worldly + sophiscated sister. Spicey rose - green. The green is peppery as well as fruity similar to berry in mure et musc. Powdery undertones on paper and skin after spritzing.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

^ doh, just sent you a pm asking for description when you already posted one. :-/

Anyway, sounds interesting. Lipstick Rose is pretty darned girly...would you say that applies here? I worry about the fruity notes.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                  • Nov 2009

The fruit to me is not feminine - it hugs the muskiness - like the "mure" in mure et musc - if this makes any sense? Fille is gender neutral to me - the same way Sycomore + Bois des Iles are.

I prefer scents that apparently are thought of as masculine - even though I'm a girl !

Comment

• flag
                    • Feb 2013

what are some good beginner fragrances?

Comment

• coccodrillo
                      • Nov 2009

^^A fair assumption would be niche fragrances as opposed to run of the mill dept store fragrances - or even something special for a novice who hasn't worn fragrance per se - not that hard a concept or question to grasp

A starting off point would be to think of what flowers and herbs you like the scent of and choose a fragrance given this info - like lavender, citrus(lemon, orange or lime), roses, iris, etc.

Or have you smelled something you like on others - if you know what the names of those fragrances are - it might be easier to help you choose?

If available where you live - L'artisan Parfumeur is a great line to try with a variety of things from fresh, leafy green to floral to spicy.

Also - a site with a variety of great things to sample is http://www.luckyscent.com.

Comment

• Castor
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by flag View Post
                        what are some good beginner fragrances?
                        Go to Sephora or a department store and just try whatever. Guerlain and Chanel should be at the top of your list for sampling and they are easy to find.
                        Originally posted by DRRRK
                        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

Just got home from snagging some:

Serge Lutens - La Myrrhe and I love it! Some how slept on this until now. It's fantastic and I'm stoked about the scent.

Also picked up probably my 5th bottle of Heeley Menthe Fresche. That stuff is so light and yummy and I wear it way too much.

Comment

• several_girls
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                            Just got home from snagging some:

Serge Lutens - La Myrrhe and I love it! Some how slept on this until now. It's fantastic and I'm stoked about the scent.
                            La Myrrhe is peerless! Nice choice. This and some others from Lutens I've only been able to appreciate in retrospect, after sampling more broadly and being able to mentally compare with other kinds of fragrances. This relates to asking for a "beginner fragrance," I think that's a legit question.

flag from personal experience I'd recommend the Comme des Garcons line. The fragrances are unusual, but many are easy to get your head around. Avignon, for example, is something I always recall when trying out an incense scent. Another example: Wonderwood is a very straightforward way to familiarize yourself with woody compositions. IMHO.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                              • Sep 2010

^^That's a really good perspective. I completely agree that it's nearly impossible to appreciate the vast sea of fragrances out there without first testing dozens or even hundreds. I actually only started getting Serge Lutens scents recently for exactly the same reason you suggest, yet I'm finding that particularly the Jar packaged scents find me curious and wanting more.

I completely agree that for gateway lines which are almost immediately a hit for anyone, try CdG Red Series and CdG Incense Series. To this day, both sets are often my go-to fragrances for bottles < $100. Red series in particular is likely my all time favorite line.

BTW-has anyone seen what they did with the Frederic Malle packaging? I liked the old packaging better. I was at Barney's and noticed and didn't even realize it was FM-EdP and thought "Oh, that's Odd. I thought that was an EdP line fragrance" and then I realized that was FM-EdP with all the loud packaging. haha

Comment

• Castor
                                • Nov 2009

I'm trying to figure out the Amouage line. Gold and Gold Man are over the top, but stunning, maybe unwearable. Jubilation XXV is beautiful. They are all sort of overwhelming. I need time.
                                Originally posted by DRRRK
                                The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎