X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • resolution653
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
    If you like Copal, you'd also like Heeley Sel Marin and Profumum Roma - Aqua di Sale (particularly if you can find the rare oil based version of Aqua di Sale).
    Sel Marin is nice. I also am a big of fan of the Iris from Aedes, as well as Heeley. We share similar taste. If you get around to sampling the Project Renegades, let me know your thoughts.

1805 Was real weird for me. At first I was intrigued but as I get more familiar, couldn't help but associate it with a "beef jerky / smoked meat" scent. Has been mentioned in regards to Patchouli 24, which I do like.. But here, with the "sea spray, blood, lime" This is where it is getting funky/gamey.

The one int he collection, something "noir" Does a great job at recreating the scent of an old book. Cracking open the stiff cover, ruff paper, binding adhesive.

Recently tried the Fig/fruit one from Liquides Imaginares. Definitely a bottle for me.

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by resolution653 View Post
      Recently tried the Fig/fruit one from Liquides Imaginares. Definitely a bottle for me.
      This one turned out to be a big let down for me, which smelled only like a toned down, more bland version of Shiseido Feminité du Bois. Not bad smelling or nothing, but I was hoping for something groundbreaking.

Comment

• zen dog
        • Jan 2014

darkbydesign, did you mean body oil version of Aqua di Sale- Olio Corpo?
        Lucky Scents has that (out of stock now)

am seconding or thirding Sel Marin

have sent for 1805, I guess I'll have to see whether I smell like a battle or convenience store, just reaffirms my thoughts on personal interpretations of scents and why I am often more comfortable to apply a scent with a slightly heavy hand when I know I'm going to be mostly alone- applied on each wrist, driving, hands on the steering wheel, air conditioning vents aimed at me- perfect

Comment

• agentred
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by zen dog View Post

have sent for 1805, I guess I'll have to see whether I smell like a battle or convenience store, just reaffirms my thoughts on personal interpretations of scents and why I am often more comfortable to apply a scent with a slightly heavy hand when I know I'm going to be mostly alone- applied on each wrist, driving, hands on the steering wheel, air conditioning vents aimed at me- perfect
          Nice, I think you're gonna dig it!! Didn't pick up the smoked meat smell but I do like beef jerky so maybe I'm missing out.

On a food related note, has anybody tried Black Pepper by CDG? Tried doing a search but it just gave a bunch of results for CDG Black. It sounds pretty intriguing, woody and spicy.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Sel Marin is nice. I also am a big of fan of the Iris from Aedes, as well as Heeley. We share similar taste. If you get around to sampling the Project Renegades, let me know your thoughts.

1805 Was real weird for me. At first I was intrigued but as I get more familiar, couldn't help but associate it with a "beef jerky / smoked meat" scent. Has been mentioned in regards to Patchouli 24, which I do like.. But here, with the "sea spray, blood, lime" This is where it is getting funky/gamey.

The one int he collection, something "noir" Does a great job at recreating the scent of an old book. Cracking open the stiff cover, ruff paper, binding adhesive.

1805's smoke scent greatly resembles the smell of a wood smoke stove, though yes, most tend to think of smoked meats.

My roommate has been wearing this scent for the past year or so and I've come to love it - not on myself, but for someone wanting to project masculinity it hits the nail right on the head. Being a former mountain man, each one of the components are very nostalgic to me.
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• resolution653
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
              ...more bland version of Shiseido Feminité du Bois. Not bad smelling or nothing, but I was hoping for something groundbreaking.
              This Shiseido you speak of, I assume it is the same formula used for the Lutens'... as it shares the same name ? Overdue for another sample buy, will put it in the cart. Thanks for the tip. I agree with your take on the Liquides, only difference is I was hoping for an easy to wear, "nice" scent I wouldn't have to think twice about.

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              1805's smoke scent greatly resembles the smell of a wood smoke stove, though yes, most tend to think of smoked meats.

My roommate has been wearing this scent for the past year or so and I've come to love it - not on myself, but for someone wanting to project masculinity it hits the nail right on the head. Being a former mountain man, each one of the components are very nostalgic to me.
              Good to hear the response to 1805 is varied. Many personal variables when it comes to scent and how we connect it to things, like you mention, "being a former mountain man" wood stove, nostalgia.

In fact that is one of the main deciding factors for me when it comes to fragrance. Got a couple 90s cheapies for that reason.

Comment

• Shifts
                • Jul 2013

This Shiseido you speak of, I assume it is the same formula used for the Lutens'... as it shares the same name ? Overdue for another sample buy, will put it in the cart. Thanks for the tip. I agree with your take on the Liquides, only difference is I was hoping for an easy to wear, "nice" scent I wouldn't have to think twice about.
                Quite similar, but the one under Lutens name has been reformulated and wears more thin than the original (which also came as perfume at the time). He was also the one responsible for Shiseido's and I think that was his first commerical fragrance.

Comment

• resolution653
                  • Nov 2013

Cool, nice bit of info. I really want to try the original formula now for many reasons.

Worth mentioning his art direction at Shiseido.

Comment

• magic
                    • Feb 2009

Thanks for those who replied guys
                    Focusing on object details

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by agentred View Post
                      On a food related note, has anybody tried Black Pepper by CDG? Tried doing a search but it just gave a bunch of results for CDG Black. It sounds pretty intriguing, woody and spicy.
                      Interested in this as well, sounds very interesting!

Comment

• Verdandi
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                        Quite similar, but the one under Lutens name has been reformulated and wears more thin than the original (which also came as perfume at the time). He was also the one responsible for Shiseido's and I think that was his first commerical fragrance.

His first commercial fragrance was Nombre Noir. But it was rather short lived and to be honest, I never understood all the fuzz about it. I am a total Lutens fangirl, so I own it but I prefer Rose de Nuit by miles.

Fdb perfume, however, is the stuff my dreams are made out of.
                        lavender menace

Comment

• Shifts
                          • Jul 2013

Thanks for the correction! I knew about Nombre Noir also being made under his direction, but not that it was before Feminité du Bois.

I have the original EdP of Feminité du Bois, and also the perfume stylo + Mist Emulsion Body Veil which smells divine.

Never had chance to try Nombre Noir though. It is interesting to see that his now common typeface surfaced already on that bottle.

Comment

• raden92
                            • Jul 2016

Tom Ford Amber Absolute and David Beckham Eau de Toilette Natural Spray :)

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Thoughts on the Tom Ford "Plum Japonais"? A friend got it and I quite liked it, maybe can someone recommend me something similar? Shifts, Verdandi?
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Verdandi
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                                Thoughts on the Tom Ford "Plum Japonais"? A friend got it and I quite liked it, maybe can someone recommend me something similar? Shifts, Verdandi?
                                Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens. Plum Japonais is kind of a louder version of FdB with more sillage. I prefer fragrances that stay closer to the skin so I am not too fond of most Tom Ford's. But it's a matter of preference.

Serge has a whole line of perfumes which are a spin of from the original FdB: Bois Oriental, Bois et musc, Bois de violette and Bois et fruits. They all have the same base which a different ingredient amped up for each.
                                lavender menace

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎