X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
    Albert, the japanese noodle shop is on Gipsstrasse corner Auguststrasse in Mitte. Its right beside to the Cuchi, which is the pan-asia stylish restaurant with soso food but nice looking crowd...i definitely prefer the noodle house.

Wow, i gotta check out your recommendation, although its pretty far outside if its in Wilmersdorf...but handrolled noodles is something i am craving for as i am craving for CCPoodle...

damn, right by Cuchi? I don't know how I missed it then :( although I lived on the west side my girlfriend and I spent most of our time in Mitte/A-platz area as our friends all lived there. She was attending TU so we wanted to live close to make biking a possibility.

I may be wrong about calling Tian-Fu's location Wilmersdorf... I had to dig up the location via a googlemap again haha. it's right by the Berliner Str Ubahn stop though I believe so you don't have to walk too far! It certainly is a bit of a trek from the east side but it's delicious and very cheap eats and great for a lazy saturday/sunday afternoon. I'm quite certain the noodle pulling chef works there every. single. day. He makes it look effortless but there's absolute pride in each bowl that he makes.

We had a talk about the noodles before as I used to order them to-go etc. When I would call in for his stir fried noodle dishes he'd remind me not to be late since the noodles were so delicate that they should always be eaten as soon as possible after being cooked. He dislikes (and may not even allow) the noodle soups to be purchased to-go because the noodles won't be right after that much traveling.

Gotta love it :)

yet another reason (along with the ramen joint you posted) to go back to Berlin at some point!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by new_dawn_fades
      does that tshirt look a lot like pnods avantindietro?
      maybe its just me

everyone wants to be dark and hermetic these days
      sort of but not as cool.
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• theaddict
        • Apr 2008

hit me up when you are around and we shall have a noodle overkill session...

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        damn, right by Cuchi? I don't know how I missed it then :( although I lived on the west side my girlfriend and I spent most of our time in Mitte/A-platz area as our friends all lived there. She was attending TU so we wanted to live close to make biking a possibility.

I may be wrong about calling Tian-Fu's location Wilmersdorf... I had to dig up the location via a googlemap again haha. it's right by the Berliner Str Ubahn stop though I believe so you don't have to walk too far! It certainly is a bit of a trek from the east side but it's delicious and very cheap eats and great for a lazy saturday/sunday afternoon. I'm quite certain the noodle pulling chef works there every. single. day. He makes it look effortless but there's absolute pride in each bowl that he makes.

We had a talk about the noodles before as I used to order them to-go etc. When I would call in for his stir fried noodle dishes he'd remind me not to be late since the noodles were so delicate that they should always be eaten as soon as possible after being cooked. He dislikes (and may not even allow) the noodle soups to be purchased to-go because the noodles won't be right after that much traveling.

Gotta love it :)

yet another reason (along with the ramen joint you posted) to go back to Berlin at some point!
        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

< ndf pulling cards australian fashion edition >
          nice, good to see some insider scoop on how things really are down under.

things here are somewhat the same, you have really horrible seasonal sheep like movements in local labels with high street prices on really wacky shit like suit w/ matching shorts over leggings + "brogues" ... really garbage stuff, you can tell just by looking at the creative directors and "buyers" for these stores and labels but then again they are not charging or positioning themselves in the manner of an original design house
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• dji
            • Feb 2008

Also, I think its a bit too early to call Lui Hon or fred gray great. Hon hasnt shown his second collection and freid gray is yet to cross the five year mark. The latter has more business potential if it is worth any mention.
            if Lui gets picked up by helmut lang there may not be a second collection...

Comment

• editevening
              • Nov 2008

Its not a question of fair or unfair really. Face it.. it is an industry that has been surviving on knocking off genuine euro and japanese talent.

- The people want to have access to cheaper versions of euro designers. Import costs make overseas designers too expensive for majority of the population- especially the young fashion concious market.

Hence we have CoN-doing fugly HOBO_POVERA for clubkids, Ksubi blatantly ripping off old Bernard W and Jeremy Scott(to the point that even Jeremy collaborated)..and after picking up RAF by Raf theve even knocked off some of that stuff the sly bastards.How do I know?- its all to be seen at the store!

Zambesi-carefully studies their margiela and Vandervorst stock. Nom*D does the same albeit with RO, MMM, Undercover and the now defunct N(N), Claude Maus does their homework at Assin(now their damir doma stock) and so on and so forth.

Now, theyre all appealing to the target customer of a euro designer but at a more affordable price, which to the unassuming customer who has no real clue about the true source of these ideas- is fucking cool. Now thats what one calls smart business..and I will not deny the fact that aussie/nz labels have done well for themselves here.
              But where they fail is quality input.

They charge exorbitant prices for something that is poorly made or with poor fabrics or pattern construction, but offer the same look as their euro counterparts albeit ill fitting most of the time.

Also, I think its a bit too early to call Lui Hon or fred gray great. Hon hasnt shown his second collection and freid gray is yet to cross the five year mark. The latter has more business potential if it is worth any mention.
              well said!
              #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

ndf lays the smackdown
                Thanks, V. This is why I don't even bother to follow the majority of Australian designers. A single glance at the pieces in person is enough to turn me off with their poor fabrics and construction.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Haha, last year they still had (and still may have) copies at the Aoyama flagship.
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• jcotteri
                  • Jun 2008

lets be honest here, no one really ares about Ksubi nor it's incarnations. That said, i think it is still great what Gareth is doing. He is creating a stepping stone for many young Australians and others around the world. Now i have never likes ksubi (never worn let alone owned a piece of clothing) and i have never got the appeal either.

Yes i totally understand you're HOBO_POVERA for clubkids, thats totally correct. Many of the pieces do fall under that persona, amongst others of course. I am still to see what piece is similar to CDIEM though which what i originally asked. If you show me i will of course gladly accept it, but to be honest i don't think that's what Gareth amongst others is going for?

I personally hold little faith in the Australian fashion industry (bar a few designers), but there are labels doing good things. Albeit some are awkward copies or are sharing similar aesthetic. Most designers do this in one way or another, but lets not get into that. I think Beatpoet and CON and Claudemaus are doing positive things and i will continue to show them my support until i find problems with their clothing be it fabric, construction, fit or thievery.

edit: as for Zambesi, i have no thoughts nor care about that store, NOM *D well they are not Australian. Correct me if i am wrong..

I will say you raised some great points but i don't think all things should be dismissed so easily.
                  Last edited by jcotteri; 05-19-2009, 09:28 AM. Reason: +more
                  WTB: This

Comment

• jcotteri
                    • Jun 2008

i am not an expert in Carpe, i have seen a small but fair amount. I can't see or think of what piece you are talking about but how does Gareth study CARPE in Atelier? What year did he move to NYC? Wasn't it LA? He started CON in 2006.. did he study Carpe pre 2006? When i see con i see more N(N), RO, UC, AD .. some pieces are quite androgynous but i don't see carpe please help me?

lastly, as for Gareth, i think he is a great Jewelery designer.. that's about it
                    WTB: This

Comment

• Catfood
                      • Oct 2008

10 backgrounds that make Donatella look less tan

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

For pnidz. A year ago I'd put it in good finds, but with recession, this goes into WTF.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yea? I'll take it for $100
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

How about I simply bitchslap him?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              How about I simply bitchslap him?
                              I rarely get to insult both Jews and the Japanese in the same paragraph, this guy is an expert.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Silk
                                • Jan 2009

I'm sure you all heard about Sarah Palins' spending spree when she was running with John McCain. Check out this piece of this article I saw today that talks about how they are trying to bust her in court.

"The purchases included $75,062 worth at Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis; $49,425 at Saks Fifth Avenue; $9,447 at Macy's; and $789 at the luxury retailer Barneys New York. Goods were also bought for Palin family members, such as $4,902 spent at upscale men's store Atelier and $92 at Pacifier, a Minneapolis baby boutique."

Damn, wonder if this was for her husband or maybe her son?? I wonder if anyone can dig up a picture of the person wearing said Atelier gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎