Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaintedBlack_7
    • Sep 2010

I don't wear them everyday therefore i don't spend alot of money on them but:

Seiko
    Seiko (vintage that belonged to my dad )
    Vintage Hamilton 18k gold plated
    Couple citizens
    and an orient

i used to , but as a young guy with a watch worth more than $50 ou stand out in a bad way

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

I hate watches. They're so overbranded and recognizable, plus so stereotypically male... I just use my cellphone.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• gnow
        • Jun 2010

Don't most of the discussed items in this forum fall under that category as well? Also, unless your talking about societal influences, I don't see how its stereotypically male; almost every watch brand markets 2 versions, male and female, if not unisex.

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
        I hate watches. They're so overbranded and recognizable, plus so stereotypically male... I just use my cellphone.

Comment

• syed
          • Sep 2010

Got given this for free so I can't really complain, it looks pretty cool. Outer ring is the minutes, inner ring is the hour. Shame about the brand name though

I really like Uniform Wares, they are super clean. Oh and Muji watches are really nice, my brother swears by them. I prefer clean cut watches, but I always have a problem with straps because my wrists are sooo small.
          "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Squeek
            • Jun 2009

Did you try searching for a thread titled "Watches?"

Comment

• gnow
              • Jun 2010

Not sure how I missed that! I actually did searched it before creating this thread. Well, mods feel free to combine this thread, since the earlier thread's contribution is mostly by guys anyway.

Originally posted by Squeek View Post
              Did you try searching for a thread titled "Watches?"

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

i had an old original casio digital watch that i had worn for the past 8 years, but realized 2 things:

it looked ridiculous
                i looked at it way to often

so now i go watchless.

eventually i'd like to pick up something nice, but i don't know if i appreciate fine movements enough to drop serious cash on something, but I also can't see spending $$$ on a cheap quartz movement just for the design, although I've always liked these Ole Mathiesen watches:

Comment

• michael_kard
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by gnow View Post
                  Don't most of the discussed items in this forum fall under that category as well?
                  No. Have you seen that many logos/brand names on pieces of clothing?
                  Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by t-bone View Post

eventually i'd like to pick up something nice, but i don't know if i appreciate fine movements enough to drop serious cash on something, but I also can't see spending $$$ on a cheap quartz movement just for the design,
                    good/high end quartz watches are more accurate than high end mechanical movements, so i wouldn't exactly go and write off all quartz watches like that.
                    There is a reason why the design spread like wildfire after the Japanese company, seiko invented it in the late 70's. I enjoy mechanical/automatic movements, but i also have a few quartz watches.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                      No. Have you seen that many logos/brand names on pieces of clothing?
                      What are you talking about? most watches only have one visible branding when worn, that is on the face, most people don't get close enough to read it anyways. It's like saying I HATE ALL CLOTHING BECAUSE IT HAS LABELS DEPICTING THE BRAND STITCHED ON THE INSIDE OF THEM. I think you're unfairly writing off a great accessory for some unfounded reason, Watches are also great when pulling out your iphone to check the time is deemed inappropriate, talking to a potential client or something they might assume you are writing off what they are saying, or assume you are reading and email or text and take it as a sign of disrespect.

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

Pardon my ignorance, I hadn't thought of your second point - makes sense. But I still think the one visible branding most watches have on their dial is a bit over the top for me (even if it's very common), since it's such an obvious indication of value.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                          • Jan 2010

I haven't worn a watch in several years but lately I've been thinking about getting one again. PaintedBlack brings up a good point. I hate it when people pull out their phones during a discussion.

I almost bought a Japser Morrison's r5.5 when I was in Vienna this past summer but the Automatic version wasn't in the store yet. I still don't know what version I like the best, but I like the mechanics of automatic watches.

automatic

minimal

chronograph

I also really like the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin

and this

If I had an extra 30K lying around and nothing else to spend it on I'd get this A. Lange & Söhne in platinum.

THE HOUSE OF DIS
                          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                            • Sep 2010

^nice selection. My all tiem dream watch would the this one from the ralph Lauren collection, i know he is hated here, but this $15,000 rose gold plated piaget sourced movement watch is stunning in every detail.

Comment

• quiet noise
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

Comment

• gnow
                                • Jun 2010

^ wow, if those are yours, I would love to see your collection.

thehouseofdis, excellent selection. JLC is probably one of my favorite brands for its price range.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎