No announcement yet.

cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you want them to really shrink i think you need to tumble dry them while they're wet. don't forget turning them inside out and watching them every once in a while.

Comment

• cavity.
      • May 2009

Thanks, I'll try washing/drying them tonight.

Comment

• Bring The Noise
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sphoxx View Post
        I just hot soaked my calfskin rider's for about an hour then tossed it in the dryer on HOT (wanted some shrinkage) along with some towels for padding. As mr. Nouveau can attest, the result: no damage, no color loss, no change in leather texture and a much improved fit. I didn't use any detergent or anything, just hot water and a bit of churning.
        bump
        im scared to do this to my julius

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

don't do that to the Julius, the jackets from prior to SS09 aren't a washed leather...

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BrettChaotix View Post
            I bought a RO shirt on SuFu and the dumbass managed to ship it while it was still wet.... a week later it arrives from Italy covered in mold

see pics/story here http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...&postcount=474

I washed it 4 times in a row and it still smelled like ass. I turned it inside out and washed it 4 more times and most of the smell is now gone, along with the mold stains.

I'm filing a paypal claim but any other guesses on how to get the funk out in the meantime?
            ummm. tragic. if something arrived moldy in the mail, i would throw it out. i'm sorry. why wash something 8 times? what's the logic. i hope you got your money back.
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Bring The Noise
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dji View Post
              don't do that to the Julius, the jackets from prior to SS09 aren't a washed leather...
              damn okay
              its aw08

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Has anyone ever tried this with lame shirts?

I find that though they dry quite a bit more slowly, it makes for a better fit once dry.. Plus I like the absurd image one is presented with upon entering the guest room.

Myself, I like to soak basics in the sink with scalding hot water, then twist them, stretch the water out, wring them, then shape them like so on individual towels. It's a bit of a ritual for me.
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

I would imagine them ending up a bit more stretched out than normal, no? at least when the creases formed by the twisting start evening out.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

Well of course they do end up slightly more stretched, but for a while, they at least wrap around the torso, creating a more fluid but form-fitting shape. I suppose I ought to try both ways and compare.. Not really anything worth writing down observations over, of course. The hot water is key. Any reason why using very hot water and wringing while twisting would be too harsh on the textiles?
                    Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• delirium
                      • Sep 2008

beau
                      interesting idea for the twists. sounds fine.

here's a guide by therapysessions on washing leather if anyone is still contemplating it.

Comment

• Alarm
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                        Well of course they do end up slightly more stretched, but for a while, they at least wrap around the torso, creating a more fluid but form-fitting shape. I suppose I ought to try both ways and compare.. Not really anything worth writing down observations over, of course. The hot water is key. Any reason why using very hot water and wringing while twisting would be too harsh on the textiles?
                        It should be fine, if anything the color might simply dull a little. But in a lot of shirts this would look good (like plain black cotton drkshdw tees).

As far as washing leather goes, I'd say it would only add to the charm/"washed" look. Only thing i'd worry about is ruining the "coating" of leather (making it crack or something of the sort).
                        Originally posted by Trebre
                        Poell Pain is good for body&soul...

Comment

• moomoocowsly
                          • Mar 2009

I have a small question, how long does it usually take to air-dry clothing flat on a towel after handwashing? I ask because I washed a rick double layer last night and it's still wet today, I know obviously a double-layer is going to dry slower than usual, but I think I underestimated the time needed.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

well it dries longer on a towel, the water doesn't evaporate as easily as there are less surfaces in contact with air, same as if you have wet clothing bunched up instead of laid open. quickest way to dry it would probably be on a hanger, hanging freely somewhere dry.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• moomoocowsly
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                              well it dries longer on a towel, the water doesn't evaporate as easily as there are less surfaces in contact with air, same as if you have wet clothing bunched up instead of laid open. quickest way to dry it would probably be on a hanger, hanging freely somewhere dry.
                              Well now I feel like an idiot. I thought hanging it to dry would stretch it?

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

it might stretch a bit if its really wet and thus heavy.

one thing I do with hand washed garments is roll them inside a towel and apply pressure, this gets all the excess water out without having to squeeze and twist, and speeds up the drying.

but with RO tees, I just throw them in the dryer at a low temp and gentle cycle. the cotton ones at least don't seem to shrink much, it actually reshapes them.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎