X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ochre
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    marc1975 - whoa, i know there's probably a bunch of ppl on here who do what you do, but doesn't that make you feel a bit schizoid? personally i'd never be able to spend 5 days a week in a completely opposite environment and style to what i do in my free time. i don't think i could pull it off even. true colors (black lol) would shine thru...
    There's something nice about having a balance and not being a completely one dimensional person stylistically (not saying you are). I think that goes for anything, way beyond fashion though. And that's not to say marc's work clothes can't be informed aesthetically by his other clothes/sensibilities.

Comment

• MikeN
      • Nov 2007

marc1975 - whoa, i know there's probably a bunch of ppl on here who do what you do, but doesn't that make you feel a bit schizoid? personally i'd never be able to spend 5 days a week in a completely opposite environment and style to what i do in my free time. i don't think i could pull it off even. true colors (black lol) would shine thru...
      I think a good percentage of SZ users do this. Not me of course, but a lot!

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

was just such a contrast between those churches and the medges. not saying it's wrong, but personally i couldn't be comfortable at both ends of such a very wide spectrum. my repertoire is more ltd., for better or worse...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

What about paying rent and shit.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

paying rent? i do that. as long as it doesn't interfer with my next recent purchase. lol.

Comment

• marc1975
              • Dec 2010

personally i'd never be able to spend 5 days a week in a completely opposite environment and style ...
              To be honest, I am not an all-black person in my leisure time. I combine Rick Owens heels with e.g. blue jeans and a black turtleneck sweater, because I want to have the same level of flexibility in dressing as women have nowadays. I am glad that fashion has evolved quite a lot in the recent years, and that there are much more style options available. I don't want to limit myself to only black, just because the designer happens to have a certain morbid view on life (I saw the picture of RO shooting himself in the head on the invoice envelope ). I am in awe of some all-black outfits (e.g. the Gareth Pugh one I am sewing right now), but I also enjoy other colors, and fine tailoring and shoes when being at work, so I don't see these things as being mutually exclusive.

The black/gray outfits that I often see on SZ have something to them that I like. I am just starting out putting together complete "Rick Owens"-like outfits, so I am still lacking some basic parts, like a long black or gray sweater, or black trousers that are not simply jeans. It's probably SZ's fault that I am starting to even consider this ALL-black mode, which wasn't the case before I read SZ (same thing with the wedges... I didn't like them at first, but the longer I saw them, the more I liked them...).
              I am not (yet) able to put together a black/gray outfit that SZ readers would probably consider very stylish, but I am working on it.

no offense but this was probably the worst coat from f/w ro you could have gotten. i want a full coat for 3k
              No offense taken
              You are right - I really asked myself whether I want to spend that kind of money for a sort of "coat" which isn't really a full coat.
              Then again, I do have lots of jackets and coats. When I say lots, it means 17 jackets and coats I do already own (not counting those in my basement, which I have lost track of), though they are from brands like Burberry (2), Tiger of Sweden (1), Peuterey (6), Boss (3), Barbour (1), Cinque (1), Lagerfeld (2) or self made (1).

The reason why I bought this (quite impractical) coat is, because I liked the overall look of the outfit that was shown on the runway:

I often buy complete outfits that I like. I already have similar boots at home (in black), I now do own the coat (also in black), I looked at the pants in the RO boutique and decided that I don't like them (they have a dropped crotch, which is really not my style; I rather wear a skirt than a dropped crotch-pant), so I am still looking for a long sweater like that on the picture and either trousers or a skirt (which I can also sew by myself).

I am probably going to order the following sweater and pants from the Russian designer Sosnovksa, if I manage to understand how "webmoney" (the Russian version of PayPal, without any credit card acceptance) works...

At least the sweater should look good combined with the RO coat and boots, so the only missing piece would be either a skirt or different pants. This would be the first outfit where really everything fits together well.

So true. I worked at an ad agency before, where I didn't need any suits. I could have worn RO outfits all day long, but didn't have any money to afford them. After paying rent and other important items, there wasn't any money left to either spend or save. That's also why I quit working there.
              Apart from the money: Although I don't like to wear suits ALL week long, I do like that people are not allowed to wear e.g. their stained jogging outfit to work (as happened quite often with "creative" people in the ad agency...).

Cheers,
              Marc

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

coolio. just to be clear - i wasn't criticizing, more like curious. thx for taking time to explain. i could even partly envy that type of happy-go-lucky approach in a way. i'm more strict in editing, but it boils down to personality i think.

ps. just to confirm our different tastes, over the past week i've been eyeing those cashmere shorts from the picture you just posted - the only item you didn't like in that look, is the one i like best...
                Last edited by Shucks; 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: strictness in editing

Comment

• marc1975
                  • Dec 2010

just to be clear - i wasn't criticizing, more like curious.
                  Didn't consider it to be a critique .
                  I like the variety of users that are at SZ, that we do have an interest in fashion that we share, and that there is a place to exchange thoughts about this. At least for me, it's currently the only place I can talk about men's wedges, coats that aren't really a coat and other things that don't make sense for the average Joe without being flamed for. I like this forum

Cheers,
                  Marc

Comment

• poniello
                    • Jan 2011

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

it's july again...

Comment

• Phantom
                        • Mar 2011

Pair of RO combat boots, finally! :)

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post

http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Are you about to enter the convent?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post

excuse me, wait, what? you think urban accomodation is cheap here? are you fucking kidding me? to get a secure tenure rental apartment you have to pay tons of money on the black market or que up for several years. or you have to buy an apartment - and they don't come cheap, and neither are the interest rates anymore...

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                                • Sep 2009

oops...sorry shucks...I know it's not easy. I guess I was just thinking of my friend in Stockholm who's apartment is twice as big mine and pays significantly less than I do here in San Francisco. And yes she has a first hand contract and didn't get it on the blackmarket. But I know that doesn't usually happen. sorry

edit: I'm not trying to make generalizations about anyone's life in scandinavia. But I can romanticize it all I want, of course it's easy to complain about where you live but try living somewhere else first...
                                http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎