• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hommedeguerre View Post
    Which?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• shdws
      • Sep 2011

Out of curiosity, why not the 17-40L, less distortion. $200 dollars cheaper. + prime 50 F1.4? ($300)

Or maybe 24-70L f2.8....roughly 300 dollars more?

Good thing about those is if you ever go to full frame body you won't have to struggle selling off the 17-55 as it doesn't hold it's resale value as well as the other two L series.

Or just stick to primes, it's the best way to go really, cheap(er) and cheerful.

The 85mm 1.4 is a beast hommedeguerre, nice bang for buck.
      Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• magic
        • Feb 2009

Faust- Its a perfect overall lens and really good with low lighting. Love mine;)
        Focusing on object details

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by shdws View Post
          Out of curiosity, why not the 17-40L, less distortion. $200 dollars cheaper. + prime 50 F1.4? ($300)

Or maybe 24-70L f2.8....roughly 300 dollars more?

Good thing about those is if you ever go to full frame body you won't have to struggle selling off the 17-55 as it doesn't hold it's resale value as well as the other two L series.

Or just stick to primes, it's the best way to go really, cheap(er) and cheerful.

The 85mm 1.4 is a beast hommedeguerre, nice bang for buck.
          Because I am not an expert and I just ask lowrey, aka "photo god" and do as he commands.

I am not planning to become a photographer - I just want an overall good enough lens so I can take decent photos for sz-mag.com and for Diane Pernet.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

I can answer since I told him to buy it

both are great lenses but the f2.8+IS is a big advantage for indoor / low light use, compared to f4 on the 17-40. build quality on the 17-40 is better, but in terms of image quality I'd say they are actually pretty close.

re: the 24-70, 24 is a bit narrow on a cropped sensor for all around use.

Or just stick to primes, it's the best way to go really, cheap(er) and cheerful
            When buying second hand, I'd say the difference is pretty marginal as long as its a good and at least somewhat popular lens, the 17-55 shouldn't be difficult to offload.

The full frame compatibility is true and a good point, but knowing Faust's needs and use for the camera, I imagine he will stick to cropped sensors much like I have even though I shoot semi-professionally. I still use my 550D a lot even though I have a 5D. proof can be found in the latest SZ issue ;)

as for primes, it depends on preference and use. I like my 35mm and 50mm's, but 98% of the time I go for the zoom. if you want all around performance (inside vs outside, objects/people vs scenes/landscape), especially without having to switch constantly, its hard to argue against a good zoom lens.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

chu been kunk'd
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                • Jun 2009

endersgame: Let's keep it in PM. We had plans to meet Thursday, you said you needed to reschedule. Never heard from you. If you have problems with me not related to recent purchases, please PM me.
                Le 21ème

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

Cute lenses boys!

Just picked up for relatively cheap the Hasselblad 100mm f3.5 cfi for the studio. Loving it so far.

HDG > your Nikon set up is insane man! The bokeh on that 85 is creamy!

Faust > I shot with that lens for years and loved it! It is a little noisey at low light. What body do you have for it?

Here's my street set up:

A >next time I'm in the city we'll shoot!
                  Originally posted by Shucks
                  it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

how i feel with all the camera talk

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• en0rm
                      • May 2010

got this lovely FW12 Forme D'expression high neck jacket. its made of quite a heavy but soft wool linen mix fabric, which feels great. it has slash pockets at the sides, as well as two inside. its Slightly longer than a standard jacket which i really like, as im 6'4.
                      i couldnt be more pleased with it...fits me perfect, considering it was an online buy

(sorry for bad pic)

Comment

• shdws
                        • Sep 2011

I see, I understand then, buying second hand, yea definitely 17-55 is a good choice, "hands" down. I've had and used the 17-55 as well actually on a cropped body for a short time. I found that once I sold it and bought primes instead I just got better pictures (well to my eyes) comparatively. From memory though the f2.8 may not be fast enough if it is a lot of indoor work, unless there is artificial lights involved.

The 17-55 is perfect for travel as well imo.

Steppp backkkk Hasselblad. Anyway no more derailing from me.
                        Last edited by shdws; 12-12-2012, 06:59 AM.
                        Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• shah
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by shdws View Post

though i use old skool glass manual focus which makes fit pics a bit tricky heh

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

satisfaction.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

wadap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!brap brap!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Mar 2009

Very nice coat, Rider.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡