• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

yep, that's the one.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• the breaks
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
      that looks like a nice shirt, but $770 is a lot to pay for any basic linen shirt.
      Put it next to Amadei's $1300 short sleeve one and it will look like the bargain of a lifetime.
      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Orochian
        • Sep 2006

I suppose I should've tried them on before jumping to conclusion about their quality, but honestly seeing and touching them in person didn't impress me enough to want to try them on. I understand your sales volume vs cost rationale, but I think it's worth considering other designers who've managed to strike an agreeable balance between exlusivity and affordability, like Stephan Schneider and one of Doma's mentors, Dirk Schonberger (before he closed his own label to work for Joop). Both of them offer(ed) great quality at reasonable prices.

Matt, I think the comparison done by said local magazine was entirely based on Doma's much-talked-about internship with Raf. Unfortunately that is level at which the local fashion press functions, and that's all they could focus on. Sometimes I really think our city's consumers are ironically a lot more sophisticated than those whose line of work is supposedly to disseminate fashion knowledge and insight.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
          Put it next to Amadei's $1300 short sleeve one and it will look like the bargain of a lifetime.
          These aren't exactly the figures I am thinking in these days...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• misterpale
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mass View Post
            i think he means hkd... so around 800usd, which is entirely reasonable.
            i saw this pant in berlin at darklands recently.it wasn´t in a range of 6300$ - definitly not!

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I tried on a DD shirt at Atelier that they just received, and there was a torn overlock seam. Ooops... The shirt was $770, much more than virtually every Ann D. shirt.
              That strikes me as insane and offensive really. I mean, if a shirt has some seriously unusual characteristics, ok, charge whatever, but for a basic shirt, go MTM from CEGO for $200, bespoke from Freddie Vandecasteele for like $350-400, or whatever. 800 for a linen shirt that doesn't appear very unique seem batshit fucking insane to me.

EDIT: Got a pair of Y's pants off the ebays for a pittance, hopefully DHC shipped my 14th addiction coat, and I think I'm spent for the month.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Catfood
                • Oct 2008

Regarding the Damir Doma pricing I think the shops are the ones eating up most of profits on the high prices you guys are seeing. The prices at Mads Nørgaard in Copenhagen where significantly lower when I was there about a week ago.

If I remember correctly the superlong hood was 2500 DKK ( about 455$). The trousers where 1500 (274$), the longsleeve tees 1100 DKK (201$) and the single button blazer was 3400 DKK (621$). All in all I'd say the pricing is quite reasonable, shame their buy was so small.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Are you serious, catfood? That's including VAT?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• docintheory
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                    That strikes me as insane and offensive really. I mean, if a shirt has some seriously unusual characteristics, ok, charge whatever, but for a basic shirt, go MTM from CEGO for $200, bespoke from Freddie Vandecasteele for like $350-400, or whatever. 800 for a linen shirt that doesn't appear very unique seem batshit fucking insane to me.

EDIT: Got a pair of Y's pants off the ebays for a pittance, hopefully DHC shipped my 14th addiction coat, and I think I'm spent for the month.
                    I really want to see the 14th addiction coat when you get it - which one did you get? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one in a month or two...

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Charleston-01
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Orochian View Post
                        Sometimes I really think our city's consumers are ironically a lot more sophisticated than those whose line of work is supposedly to disseminate fashion knowledge and insight.
                        You know, this is a subject I think about quite often...your statement is a point of view I would like to agree with, however, when week in week out (i browse East Touch and Milk pretty much every week at Circle K) the magazines continue to spread knowledge regarding clothing (especially on the high fashion level) in a spoon feeding to a toddler manner, and then seeing how the average local fashionista approaches their style through observing people on the streets in those high profile areas like Central, TST, CWB...I think the market may not be as clued in as what you mentioned, which probably exists as a demographic in HK, but is probably in the most rarefied stratus.

Even a hardcore fashion fan like Wyman Wong, who I would not be surprised if he is a lurker on these boards, writes in a manner that suggests the reader is not too clued in and has to be educated step by step...

Come to think of it, I am not really a fan of any fashion magazine, i find most of them to be pretty shallow and don't match the depth of discussion that can be found on the boards...to me their purpose is mostly photography and probably some articles on culture, lifestyle and "the scene." But Hong Kong does not even have a magazine on the level of "V Man" or "Another Man"
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

yep, that's the one.
                          i had to return mine (the same )in tokyo as the seams were torn in 4 places. also just had a jacket pop a seam. stuff is poorly made this season, or the materials too fragile.
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

I tried on a DD shirt at Atelier that they just received, and there was a torn overlock seam. Ooops... The shirt was $770, much more than virtually every Ann D. shirt.
                            i think thats the wrong price. i think its 700. in japan it was 600.
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ironman
                              • Apr 2008

regarding quality/seams, i have a pair of the damir doma layered shorts and the holes where the drawstrings come out of are getting immensely large. the fabric is falling apart and i'm gonna have to somehow protect the unfinished edge with like an eyelet or something

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                                i think thats the wrong price. i think its 700. in japan it was 600.
                                you might be right. sorry to hear about your trouble with quality.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎