Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seventh
    • Dec 2006

Heheh, maybe... I am lousy with arguments and definitions.

Thinking about this and our concurrent discussion on the VB thread. I buy certain designers because I like the aesthetic world that they are creating and want to support them as much as I can. I am willing to pay more that the realistic cost of materials/labor, so that they can comfortably continue to make new work.

This is sorta what I meant about cultural contributions being more than luxury. Clothing can have an emotional/intellectual resonance, and can change how you perceive or navigate through the world. The definition of luxury doesn't seem to take this element into account. But I am out of my depth (and out of coffee) to explain much further.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Hey man, I'm with you, but that does not change history or dictionary definitions :-)

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

"Luxury" comes from latin word luxus, "grown askew", and then "grown in excess".
      Same etymology as for "luxuriant" (luxury is excessively expensive) and "lust" (luxury is something unnecessary for "askew" people). Moral and logical meanings gather.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
        "Luxury" comes from latin word luxus, "grown askew", and then "grown in excess".
        Same etymology as for "luxuriant" (luxury is excessively expensive) and "lust" (luxury is something unnecessary for "askew" people). Moral and logical meanings gather.
        Like the dark force. Tam-tam-tam, tam-ta-tam, tam-ta-tam

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Seventh, I could not agree with you more!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Seventh, I could not agree with you more!
            +1.
            Seventh, you've summed up what I have been explaining to a female friend who buys H&M and cannot understand what I spent for my clothes. I've never mentioned any prices, but my friends can imagine that it is way above what they are ready to pay.
            I am with Faust concerning the word "luxury". I don't even like the world fashion because it is too interchangeable. Quality, design and sometimes the attitude / philosophy of a brand are what makes me spend my money.
            Last edited by DRRRK; 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
              Let's be honest, and quite brutal : niche luxury goods are luxury goods.

You can't shift from "luxury" to "quality", since luxury goods can be of a poor quality (design or fabric wise), but this is what the industry would like you to be convinced of. It's only a psychological alibi to justify the amazingly high prices that can not be justified otherwise.

This is luxury : something so expensive (and for no objective reason), that one have to develop as many theories as there are human minds to justify the price paid, in a way (objective : "quality") or another (sujective : "moment of indulgence", "individual dreams", "good feeling").

Luxury is the price you have to pay to get the possibility of fantazising your own impulse to buy.
              While I don't disagree with this (I hate discussions of good value, as if the object in itself could hold much value without me looking at it) the term "luxury houses" is something that carries a meaning. They're the ones who consolidated and expanded in the 90s and produce mainly accessories. Hermès is the quintessential luxury house, Gucci being the perfect 90s example.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• theaddict
                • Apr 2008

Luxury goods:

CCP 08 object dyed cotton coat (thanks P)

CCP SS06 yellow overlock suit (thanks bc)

Is the toe discussion over? ;)

Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• bestial
                  • Jun 2008

ccp-roll, you will look fantastic in these I'm sure! did you actually get a fedex package from the us to berlin in 3-4 days?

was it the OD coat you (pnod) had sitting in your closet waiting to be worn, or was this a post (in the CCP-thread) I dreamt about?

Comment

• theaddict
                    • Apr 2008

yeah if there would not have been the weekend in between it would have been 4 days...crazy fast...and it also went over Paris...I wonder if that is better to not get hit by customs...
                    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• bestial
                      • Jun 2008

that's crazy fast! I have some hopes for my A-package then! My fedex-shit always goes through Paris, don't know why.

Looking forward to see you in the steez.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Just got two Charvet silk/cashmere scarves as a gift.

Note: Charvet is a fine example of a venerable and renowned luxury and bespoke house. Roughly the men's equivalent of what Hermès means for women.
                        Last edited by Fuuma; 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Charvet makes amazing shirts and accessories. The problem is you get very little for your money with the shirts unless you do grand-mesure. Once you do that, it is brilliant though. And the room of fabric ... I am still in awe.

Pinoy, you have to tell me what you decided on in the end!
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MoFiya
                            • Sep 2007

...finally. New leather new luck.
                            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                              Charvet makes amazing shirts and accessories. The problem is you get very little for your money with the shirts unless you do grand-mesure. Once you do that, it is brilliant though. And the room of fabric ... I am still in awe.

Pinoy, you have to tell me what you decided on in the end!
                              Hmm, you NEVER get "good value" with Charvet but that's not the point. Petite mesure can be good if you fit their patterns well and same for their RTW stuff. You can buy pretty balling pajamas too.

Comment

• jamesd
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                                Just got two Charvet silk/cashmere scarves as a gift.

Note: Charvet is a fine example of a venerable and renowned luxury and bespoke house. Roughly the men's equivalent of what Hermès means for women.

Nice. How substantial are the scarves? They make beautiful stuff but I've destroyed two ties without doing very much, they're so delicate.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎