• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
    ^ Good response. I see your good strivings mixed with some reactions I don't agree with.
    I applaud your self knowledge and wish you well in your efforts.
    And that's high praise from the zen dog!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

Or the god of nez if you're dyslexic, always good to have a god on your side.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

finally nailed My Style Philosophy. skip to 1:07.

ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

bump for new members.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tonecrush
            • Jul 2013

How about those of us with very limited budgets? I know with myself I'm quite limited with what pieces are available to me due to many factors including budget but also location and size. It's difficult to maintain a very specific style philosophy like this, but for me I greatly appreciate what I have been able to include in my wardrobe and am moderately happy with the it.

Not having funds most of the time has done nothing to dampen my passion for the clothes, designers and the community. For me my philosophy starts and ends with this passion. I may not have many outfits, the best style or a good body but fashion has done so much for my life. I think the best way to describe my philosophy is that I do not use my wardrobe against others, just to give me good feelings inside and in turn exert that onto others.

So my question is does everyone have a philosophy or did you find you could not develop one until you could afford it (as in own enough pieces to express it)? Or is budget not that relevant?

I try to buy only things I am in love with and obviously it doesn't always work as expected, but I don't think I expected anything in the first place. I can't try anything on because there isn't any boutiques in my state, so that definitely takes my trigger pulling confidence down a lot.
            "Never seen someone treat such a piece of crap excuse for a boot with so much care, and precision."

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

If you're on a budget, try to buy things that are both consistent with the aesthetic direction you want to go in and also elevate what you currently have. Avoid buying things that require more things. Accept or even appreciate imperfection in your wardrobe. Appreciate your "lesser" pieces too, it's not worth turning your back on who you have been or who you are for who you want to be. Try to achieve more with less. I think these are good values to have regardless, come to think of it.
              Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• tonecrush
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                If you're on a budget, try to buy things that are both consistent with the aesthetic direction you want to go in and also elevate what you currently have.
                This is exactly why for now I gave up Rick sneakers, really want to go in a more serious direction, less "street".
                "Never seen someone treat such a piece of crap excuse for a boot with so much care, and precision."

Comment

• NOHSAD
                  • Nov 2014

Style feels and looks natural; not forced or copy/paste. When it comes to the money aspect, expensive doesn't means style and vice versa (a flaw I see too much on a daily basis ...
                  "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

This is good advice. Having a style philosophy can actually help you save money because it narrows down your choices and helps you buy smarter. Know what you want and don't be swayed by what's on sale or new in season (easier said than done, I know I'm guilty of this from time to time).

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                    If you're on a budget, try to buy things that are both consistent with the aesthetic direction you want to go in and also elevate what you currently have. Avoid buying things that require more things. Accept or even appreciate imperfection in your wardrobe. Appreciate your "lesser" pieces too, it's not worth turning your back on who you have been or who you are for who you want to be. Try to achieve more with less. I think these are good values to have regardless, come to think of it.
                    music

Comment

• tonecrush
                      • Jul 2013

No I'm in Perth FMC, I used to shop at Zekka the owner may be known to some members I'm not sure. That place has been closed for 2 years and it was the best thing the city ever had. I think even if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't just buy every piece of ma+ or Rick just because I can, but I would definitely wish to own maybe a couple really expensive items. I liked walking out of a store with 1 thing at a time, I didn't feel like I need to buy an entire out in one go and that is probably going to lead to appearing to have bad taste.

Over on SF I have been accused of having lots of money and no taste

Comment

• Lex1017
                        • Jul 2015

My philosophy is like what you like. Stylistically and Originality wise. If you like some crazy colourful statement piece, and you love to wear it who am I to tell you you're lame. Clothing is supposed to make you feel good. Maybe that same person thinks that I look like a fuck face in my all black attire. Same goes for originality. If you would rather go play soccer in your chucks than seek out the coolest most exclusive pair of footwear fuck ya do it. I joined this board because of my interest in fashion and clothing, but when I'm walking down the street I am judging no one. I guess my whole point comes down to confidence. If it's your thing, and you make it work, "do you". (I hate that term)

Comment

• UnderDictation
                          • Jun 2014

The more particular my taste in clothing and fashion becomes, the less judgemental I am of other people's tastes and choices. I've come from someone completely devoid of any interest in fashion, and fairly critical towards the choices of others, to basically the opposite.

Some of that comes from the fact that I feel more empathic when wearing stuff that's probably considered unusual, and the associated feeling of vulnerability.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Well, you guys are Zen. I judge the shit out of everyone when I'm walking down the street.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                              • Apr 2011

True, it's never personal but the library is often open.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

You guys live someplace where there are people worth judging, though. Whereas in suburbia, cultural relevance is apparently irrelevant. Also, everyone is fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎