X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex1017
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Well, you guys are Zen. I judge the shit out of everyone when I'm walking down the street.
    It's not that I don't judge as much as I assess. Everyone in life has different interests. I suppose clothing is a big part of first impressions which (in our cases) openly displays our interests in a public setting. My assessment thing is yes that man/woman may be poorly dressed, but he/she may be working everyday to be able to buy a new part for their car (or invest in whatever he/she is passionate about) and I can respect that. Sorry to veer off topic!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

No, it's very true. There is a big difference between judging and simply noticing. I was a bit flip there.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LOVE
        • Dec 2007

banjee yoga-punk mixed with the Rick Owens grailed page

Comment

• Blacknight
          • May 2013

I for one have always had the tendency to buy two of each item that I really love, for reasons probably related to the ridiculous sense of paranoia that comes with ownership and the lingering fear that my pants might someday spontaneously burst into flames, though I'm finally getting over this shitty habit, and have made an honest effort to minimize my wardrobe (and personal possessions) altogether.

After cultivating an interest in Buddhism over the years, and making my move to China three years ago, my taste in garments has completely flipped as well. I find that I've (almost without realizing) been strongly affected by the influence of Chinese designers such as Ziggy Chen, along with several other much lesser-known local brands out here that are doing really interesting things, and have adopted more of a Paul Harnden-esque/Neo monk aesthetic paired with the uniform Guidi and Werkstatt, and have really loved the accessibility of and movement of new local designer works here, thus pushing me farther away from my previous adoration of houses like BBS, Rick, etc.

Interesting to see how we all change over time!

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
            • Sep 2015

I lost a ton of weight since 2012. Used to weigh 330, now I'm down to 214ish and I'm 6'3.75 (so close). After much rumination as I was buying new clothing, I just stuck with a uniform. Usually, it's just a cut-off shirt/tank, pods (Savage or regular), and Ramones/Ramone boots/all-black Geos - the former two items are all black as well. I have some DNAs, Nasreddins, and Detroits I go to as well - which are also all black. I avoid branding/patterns like the plague. However, this CCP shirt might be an exception as the faded, jagged, stripes remind me of veins. I don't mind texturing.

My wardrobe, that I care about, is just black and white. If I like something enough (and can afford to), I will buy multiple; I also try to buy things that I won't regret in a decade down the line. I don't do very well with choices. I'm an extremely indecisive person, unfortunately. Whether I'm out at a restaurant, in a store, online shopping, anything you can think of that involves choice - I take my sweet time and don't really realize how much goes by before I make up my mind.

I live in Texas (...) so layering is pretty much out of the question for 3/4 of the year. I get stares, glares, inquiries and (shockingly) compliments about my clothing - this is a state where Southern Marsh, Polo Ralph Lauren and gaudy 90s sweaters/t-shirts are the MO. I know the uniform I described above is probably considered boring here, but the thought of "peacocking" seems like it would be draining. When it is colder, I'll break out a waxed black Exploder, a midnight blue Raf Simons coat and happily, come winter, a black Carpe Diem Lab coat I just copped and my black DNA pants/Detroits. I get hot extremely easily, so if it's cold enough, I'll wear a black long-sleeve - Zam's Echadh has usually been my go to. My high body temperature is also the reason cut-offs/tanks are my preferred top of choice.

I feel like I'm comfortable with my wardrobe. I'm living the cliche of a jaded college student in regards to this. I see myself buying formal wear for the working world, but other than that I feel like I've scaled the summit. I have built quite the wardrobe at this point. I feel satiated.

Am I sick of fashion? No. Every time I question "why am I buying these clothes?" I start to remember why I love it when I see a beautiful piece, or collection. I remember all the work I put in to lose the weight in order to wear the clothes I like. I remember that clothing can be art and an extension of yourself. I love to help friends and family out with clothing when they ask for advice. I feel like my peer group, and family, has started to care about fashion more because of me so I guess that's something? I don't dress the way I do for compliments, and I don't even expect people to like it. If my peer group wants to explore the realms of fashion outside of J. Crew because I was the catalyst, that's cool. If people just think I look weird and dismiss me purely because of my dress, that's okay too.

... That was a lot of rambling.
            who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ Nice Must take balls to wear that in Texas. The societal/peer pressure to conform is an enormous force.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
                ... That was a lot of rambling.

beautifully written.
                welcome to the forums
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Thank you Faust and Zam!

It's rather unfortunate I have the taste I do in a place like Texas. I've been asked if I'm queer many a time. These people need some culture.

Comment

• Shifts
                    • Jul 2013

A Dream of Blue, is it a Windy & Carl reference by any chance?

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                      • Sep 2015

Good catch. Probably my second favorite album of theirs, with the first being We Will Always Be.

Comment

• Shifts
                        • Jul 2013

Same here, at least somewhere up at the very top together with Consciousness and Drawing of Sound for me. I have the vinyl somewhere, should dig it out again.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                          • Sep 2015

I really love all their work. It's a shame Windy & Carl won't be performing live anymore, but they will continue to release new material. Carl's solo debut, Tomorrow, is very solid if you haven't checked that out already.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Thank you Faust and Zam!

It's rather unfortunate I have the taste I do in a place like Texas. I've been asked if I'm queer many a time. These people need some culture.
                            welcome to the "queer by way of fashion club"
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                              • Sep 2015

It appears I'm in good company.

Comment

• Blacknight
                                • May 2013

I live in Texas (...) .
                                Congrats on the weight loss, and my deepest sympathies, man. I used to live in boonfuck nowhere Georgia for a while, which I'm willing to bet is just slightly less lacking in culture than anywhere in Texas. With or without a girlfriend, I was called queer by complete strangers so many times due to my manner of dress that at the end of my time there I almost started to consider that I might just be, hahaha.

Turns out i'm not!

Anyway whatever your motivation for staying fit and accomplishing your weight goals is, be it niche designer clothes or whatever else. Good on you~

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎