Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

Decided it's unwise for me to wear the Rick uniform. So a new style rule for myself is never to wear more than 1 'extreme' or recognizable piece (Rick or otherwise) per outfit, unless I'm just lounging around the house or someplace where it doesn't matter. I guess this is me getting old and giving into practicality, normcore, and selling out. But that's fine, I don't have anything to prove to anyone, and I'm finding there's nothing really worth rebelling against anymore.
    Last edited by DudleyGray; 09-28-2015, 10:57 AM.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Besides, it's plain elegant.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

I have a similar philosophy with Rick stuff in particular -- his more say "advanced" pieces are beautiful but I am not interested in clothes that wear me. I've recently divested myself of all the voluminous, impractical pieces I wore by InAisce and Obscur and switched over entirely to Zam Barrett, Lumen Et Umbra, CCP and Sruli Recht.

Almost everything I wear has some utilitarian bent. I value build quality and durability above all and am most fascinated with pieces whose brilliance isn't immediately apparent -- I am a huge fetishist for discovery. I equally value houses that produce their pieces as ethically as possible by hand and cultivate a lifestyle brand that takes care of their workers.

Because of this, the pieces I wear often represent my politics to me but do not telegraph them to others. I am most interested in wearing pieces that evoke a truer me rather than selecting the more powerful / symbolic wearable sculptures people like Rick put out -- they often seem to have an agenda separate from my own. For me clothes are part of the endless process of Becoming, and I am always shifting underneath.
        Last edited by Arkady; 09-28-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

Don't get me wrong, the more extreme side of Rick resonates strongly with me. When I'm wearing that stuff, being an individual doesn't even matter. When it looks and feels like that, I don't care if it's wearing me or if I look like a fashion victim. It's a really decadent, selfish, and petty pleasure, and it feels like the only look that does justice to my inner weirdness.

But I don't live in a vacuum, there's no practical benefit to looking like a loon when I'm too old and content to be telling the world who I am.

Faust, elegance is a good word. In the US, it's undervalued and connotates femininity, but everyone could benefit from it.

Comment

• RHR
            • Sep 2015

Hey all! Here are a few thoughts and ramblings.

Up to a few months ago, I did not have any style philosophy at all, and with a disjointed wardrobe and no sense of what goes well together other than black and tan/khaki/camel/whatever the name these days is, I would just dress. No thought put into it.

I started googling and got to Reddit's MaleFashionAdvice. Started reading and tried to make something similar to their recommended wardrobe, which, I noticed, didn't resonate with me.

As I was now more aware of what I was wearing, I noticed I always ended up wearing the same stuff and began to pay attention to what exactly I was wearing, as well as reasons behind it. I felt the best in a subdued color palette and my most commonly worn garment turned out to be a black t-shirt.

It was on MFA that I first heard of the term goth ninja. While I am still far, far away from being one, that's exactly what I strive to be. Stealthy, dark, subdued, hidden. That's what black as a color can provide me with.

Simultaneously, a lot of continuous and constant introspection revealed I actually felt the need to disconnect, to be someone people wouldn't focus their attention to in the first place. A nondescript, if you will. An outcast. Hidden from the mainstream, or a part of it in the exact opposite way of everyone else. That's what I've been my entire life, and, frankly, see no issue with.

I also despise consumerism, capitalism and planned obsolescence, and realizing I am furthering the cause by playing exactly by the rules imposed externally was a big moment for me. For example, seeing my closet full of clothes I had worn barely once hurt. Moreso when I factored in the lack of quality and quirky, seasonal design. And most of all when I figured there was no cohesion in there.

These days, my style philosophy is largely different, and defined for the most part. I know I want clothes I can wear, LOVE and LIVE IN until they are torn apart. I know I want them in black (and/or generally achromatic). I have taken steps to a better wardrobe as well, with some clothes donated and other passed to family members, some new ones bought and others being made to measure, respecting the local artisanship and skill, slowly building to a small but effective wardrobe.

So here I am. And that's it. In a nutshell.

Comment

• trentk
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Blacknight View Post
              along with several other much lesser-known local brands out here that are doing really interesting things
              very curious which brands you have in mind

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
              Faust, elegance is a good word. In the US, it's undervalued and connotates femininity, but everyone could benefit from it.
              mathematicians use the term elegance all the time, meaning: beautifully/profoundly efficient/simple*

*max information packed into the minimum amount of communication, in a way that doesn't sacrifice ease of retrievability/unpacking
              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Don't get me wrong, the more extreme side of Rick resonates strongly with me. When I'm wearing that stuff, being an individual doesn't even matter. When it looks and feels like that, I don't care if it's wearing me or if I look like a fashion victim. It's a really decadent, selfish, and petty pleasure, and it feels like the only look that does justice to my inner weirdness.

But I don't live in a vacuum, there's no practical benefit to looking like a loon when I'm too old and content to be telling the world who I am.

Hell will freeze over before Americans embrace elegance.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                  I have a similar philosophy with Rick stuff in particular -- his more say "advanced" pieces are beautiful but I am not interested in clothes that wear me. I've recently divested myself of all the voluminous, impractical pieces I wore by InAisce and Obscur and switched over entirely to Zam Barrett, Lumen Et Umbra, CCP and Sruli Recht.
                  I definitely understand this. I was initially worried about that with Rick stuff (which I own 20+ pieces of), but people I know, or who see me often, associate me with him and his clothing, rather than him overshadowing me completely; I guess you could say that about all the dark clothing I own. Then again, the craziest item I have of his is an Exploder. The rest are singlets, t-shirts/long sleeves, pants and Pods. When people don't see me wearing that stuff for whatever reason, they get shocked. As stupid and soulless as it sounds, the dark, tattered, (many times androgynous) aesthetic has become a part of my "brand."
                  who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Blacknight
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                    very curious which brands you have in mind
                    Check out my recent "Rough guide to buying on Taobao" thread. Bottom of the list~

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Hell will freeze over before Americans embrace elegance.
                      Elegance requires restraint, which I've been historically bad at, and restraint doesn't play well with consumerism, so yeah.

Comment

• sunny
                        • Dec 2012

I work in sports and wear sportswear most of the time. Felt bored to wear sportswear years ago. Then I tried to change my style and bought many different SZ brands (RO, Julius, Boris.....).

What's a shame! I emptied my saving but most of them are not my taste. Some of them are never worn (3 pairs of RO geobasket are waiting to go out of my wardrobe) . Now I prefer wearing classic and comfy, relaxing style.....perhaps CdG homme plus or ED.

Comment

• Lex1017
                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by sunny View Post
                          I work in sports and wear sportswear most of the time. Felt bored to wear sportswear years ago. Then I tried to change my style and bought many different SZ brands (RO, Julius, Boris.....).

What's a shame! I emptied my saving but most of them are not my taste. Some of them are never worn (3 pairs of RO geobasket are waiting to go out of my wardrobe) . Now I prefer wearing classic and comfy, relaxing style.....perhaps CdG homme plus or ED.
                          You shouldn't buy things because you are attempting to enter a culture or "fit right in". You should buy it because you genuinely like it, the education comes later. Luckily you can make some money back, especially if its lightly worn

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Elegance requires restraint, which I've been historically bad at, and restraint doesn't play well with consumerism, so yeah.
                            It's not really that. America is a country founded by the Puritans. The Puritans had the Book and reviled anything that was even remotely aesthetic as decadent and sinful. They jettisoned aesthetics as merely another excess of the Catholic Church. Anti-aestheticism, just like anti-intellectualism, is in this country's blood.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sunny
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
                              You shouldn't buy things because you are attempting to enter a culture or "fit right in". You should buy it because you genuinely like it, the education comes later. Luckily you can make some money back, especially if its lightly worn

Indeed! I stopped buying things except I really love it. Also, I lacked restraint to the sales.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                It's not really that. America is a country founded by the Puritans. The Puritans had the Book and reviled anything that was even remotely aesthetic as decadent and sinful. They jettisoned aesthetics as merely another excess of the Catholic Church. Anti-aestheticism, just like anti-intellectualism, is in this country's blood.
                                Anti-aestheticism, I can see as a puritanical American thing, but not anti-intellectualism, I think that's always been everywhere. Dumb people hate smart people, and there's no shortage of dumb people.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎