• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
    I'm looking into getting a pair of leather boots so I'm bringing this thread back up from the dead! I've skim read most of the thread for info but I just got one question left, maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I've got extremely flat feet which requires me to put orthotics into my shoes. Generally, my wide feet stretch out the shoes I wear and make them look ugly because it flattens the shape out. Leather boots as I've gathered mold to your foot, so I was wondering if there was any particular leather (or label) that I needed to aim for that is more resistant to losing its shape. Or is this not really a problem? Does anybody else with flat feet have an issue?
    I've got flat feet but I don't seem to have your problem. Leather boots don't exactly mold to your foot unless it's a softer leather and/or with a tight fit (Guidis backzips come to mind and also Avantindetro, so they don't fit your criteria). Boots that are goodyear welted have a layer of cork in between the insole and outsole, which does eventually mold to your foot without any noticeable exterior cosmetic change.

My C.Diems are blake stitched, but the leather (reversed calf) is thick and sturdy enough to hold it's shape after years of constant wear. As a trade-off the soles are relatively hard and not the most comfortable, but nothing an extra insole can't fix. I'm also breaking in a pair of reverse horse laceups. Pain is love. A good test is to try to press down on the toebox between your thumb and index finger, if you can't they will probably keep their shape.
    Last edited by Avantster; 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

^^^ Oh cheers for all the advice man. I was planning on trying some guidis and ma+ tomorrow to have a feel, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks :)

Yeah my feet are flat AND wide, so all of my smaller shoes...like tennis sneakers just flatten out. Only ones thus far that have kept their shape are my rick dunks, but even then I haven't worn those that much. Have a sad case where my formal shoes have folding in the leather at the foot opening :(

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

Wow, you mean from stretching when your foot goes into the shoe?

Let us know how you go. Note the hardness really depends on the leather used, thickness and treatment. Leather will eventually break in and get softer, some just much faster than others. If you can get your hands on them try on some Poell for fun and experience some next level hardness.
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• kuugaia
          • Feb 2010

Yeah it stretches the shoe because of my foot shape. So it looks fine for the first 5 or so wears, but then it just flattens out and goes...crap. It'd be easier if I just showed you pics of my formal shoes. Originally they hugged my foot all the way around, now there's a fold in the leather and i can fit an entire finger inside :(

The pics make the fold look better than it actually is

Comment

• Castor
            • Nov 2009

Need some advice on basic leather hi top sneakers. Been thinking Ann D. and RO, but want something more basic as well, just for casual kicking around. Any thoughts? Are Common Projects totally lame?
            Originally posted by DRRRK
            The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Who?
              • Aug 2007

I wear Common Projects as causal sneakers. I like them more than the Ann D sneakers but they are too different from the RO trainers make a comparison. Common Projects are over priced but easy to find on sale or on the forums for relatively cheap.
              WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• asho
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                Yeah it stretches the shoe because of my foot shape. So it looks fine for the first 5 or so wears, but then it just flattens out and goes...crap. It'd be easier if I just showed you pics of my formal shoes. Originally they hugged my foot all the way around, now there's a fold in the leather and i can fit an entire finger inside :(

The pics make the fold look better than it actually is
                you need to steer clear of oxfords, monk strap and loafer styles in favour of derbys. All other shoes have an inferior fit which you'll find hard to adjust to your foot.

Comment

• diamonds
                  • Dec 2006

that happens to me too when i wear wholecut shoes that don't really fit right. i find that if i put an insole in that raises my arch and heel a substantial amount it'll reduce the billowing effect caused by my flat and wide feet

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                    Need some advice on basic leather hi top sneakers. Been thinking Ann D. and RO, but want something more basic as well, just for casual kicking around. Any thoughts? Are Common Projects totally lame?
                    Get the Anns, I feel they look the most authentic of those few when grimy.

Kuugia, there's really not much you can do about that over-fold, I also have horrid blobbish feet and it happens to me, too, even in thick ass cordovan boots. I agree with Diamonds, though, orthotic insoles will work wonders if you have enough space in your shoes. It could also just be your walking style.
                    Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• christianef
                      • Feb 2009

margiela does a sneaker similar to the ann converse. theyre canvas with a leather toe, though. but always show up on yoox and ebay for around 200$ snafu has pictures with them.

Comment

• Castor
                        • Nov 2009

Thanks for the thoughts. The Ann's are very expensive at full retail. I ordered a pair of all black leather Chuck's in the mean time and I'm going to keep an eye out for the Margiela's and possibly the Ann's on sale. The RO's are feeling so ubiquitous now, that I may skip them.

I am definitely banking on a pair of Guidi back zips for Spring, though!
                        Originally posted by DRRRK
                        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Castor, just ask someone in Germany to get you the original German army sneakers - the Margielas are near identical copies.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• merkuri
                            • Sep 2009

^there's a guy on ebay.de who always has a shit ton of them. i've bought them for 35 usd on there.

Comment

• kuugaia
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by asho View Post
                              you need to steer clear of oxfords, monk strap and loafer styles in favour of derbys. All other shoes have an inferior fit which you'll find hard to adjust to your foot.
                              Cheers for the advice. I appreciate it and will take that into account.

Anybody familiar with Viridi-Anne Shoes? Quality any good? I'm quite interested in these, but does anybody know if the vamp gets creased extensively? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• christianef
                                • Feb 2009

the margiela's i was referring to are nearly identical to chucks, not the army version, just to clarify. they come in solid black and slighty dirty white.

here's snafu with them:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎