• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Paris and London shops

/\ sounds good. i was in tuscany last year, but I really couldn't be bothered with shopping - the countryside is such a treat.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

heres the rest from London and Paris, I was unable to access the forum for a while so I'll do my best to remember since its been a few weeks:

L'Eclaireur Rue Malher - they had a good selection of Nicolo Ceschi Berrini, several different trousers, shirts, very good looking deconstructed blazers etc. they had a few Undercover pieces from last season at -50% and some other items as well. Poell selection was surprisingly small, only a few white shirts and one or two blazers so nothing really exciting for me personally atleast. they had a small selection of n(n), the typical ann d pieces and the rest I cant recall that well.

L'Eclaireur at champs elysees was a bit dissapointing but I knew they'd carry slightly different stuff. they had more Prada, Stone Island, some italian brands I dont remember, Dior etc. last time I was there they had a better selection of Rick Owens and Ann D which is why I checked it now. the only positive note was that they had a few really nice Mihara Yasuhiro items including a long coat and a couple of knits. the SA here was extremely annoying, I know their style at L'ec is to interact with the customer and to showcase their items personally but apparently some do it right and some wrong. this guy started showing me some Prada coats, I kind of hinted that I'm not really looking for any Prada stuff, after which he started showing me another Prada jacket.laterI was looking at some Rick Owens items and then he starts bringing me dior denim :D I said something like "uh yea I have these, nice jeans". then he proceeded to bring me some italian denim brands or whatever they were, so I said I'm not looking for denim. anything he suggested or showed to me was way off compared to what I was looking at so I think its just kind of useless and bothered me rather then being like "ooooh I didn't see this"

as for London, Dover Street had a good selection of Undercover, they had the long parka, the peacoat, some sweaters and tops, several t-shirts and a bunch of womens stuff. the ladies items looked awesome on the rack, all very "constructed". some N(N) items, but no bigger sizes, would've bought jeans and a thermal if they had them. they also had some of the new Raf Simons knits and several other items.

Browns was pretty good this time, they had a decent amount of UC items as well, also some good items from N(N), ann d, Dries and others I cant remember.. Vertice next door didn't really have anything interesting, they had no Luc items left.

Library was unfortunately quite dissapointing, no Luc left, hardly any CCP apart from a pair of boots and if I remember correctly they had one jacket left. I was kind of expecting more, they had a lot of stuff from labels I didnt know, more of the jan & carlos style which I'm not personally that interested in. 59 Broadwick St. was interesting, the interior is pretty awesome. they had stuff from 0044, Yen, some Rick Owens, some others and a couple of pairs of Guidis I think. worth checking out for sure.

thats all I can think of for now [73]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

i went to the library two weeks ago and bought a pair of CCP boots. they had probably about 7 other items, a gray/green fencing jacket, a mustard overlock jacket, jointed elbow dress shirt (for 750 pounds!), box jeans and some other things i can't remember. but none of it was on display for some reason, so i could see how you would be disappointed.
        philip
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

the fencing jacket was 3200 pounds, if anyone cares.
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]i went to the library two weeks ago and bought a pair of CCP boots. they had probably about 7 other items, a gray/green fencing jacket, a mustard overlock jacket, jointed elbow dress shirt (for 750 pounds!), box jeans and some other things i can't remember. but none of it was on display for some reason, so i could see how you would be disappointed.
            philip[/quote]

damn.. I was in a bit of a hurryat the timeso I didnt have time to ask around much. well not that there would've been much that I didn't see in Paris (jointed shirt I think was 600 in euros, btw), but I wouldn't mind looking at the stuff, sucks that they don't put it on display.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Thanks xadam! [51]

Right, so I'm going to Paris first week of November (surprise holiday, thanks to my very lovely boyfriend). I think we've got the shopping sorted out pretty well, but does anyone have any personal recommendations for places to eat, things to see, etc.? Rick Owens life size wax sculpture is already high on my list of course. [79]

We are staying in le Marais.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Whoa, nice! I hear the Dries store sucks - don't go there!

Just kidding...

Funny, but I actually don't have any restaurant recs... nor places to see (I'm sure you've been to D'Orsay). I just like to stroll around and get lost. As long as you are not in the touristy area, can you really go wrong with food in Paris?

Anyway, I'd imagine osn19 would have recommendations, since he lives there. Johnny, too, maybe?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

LOL, Faust, you are not going to believe this, but I have never been to France![:O] Obscure mediterranean and eastern european cities yes, but I have never been to either Paris or London.

Circumstances of my occupation, I suppose. [79] That's why I'm asking for recommendations.

edit: and yes, I sure hope Johnny pipes up, he has awfully good taste, doesn't he? [73]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

LOL, Faust, you are not going to believe this, but I have never been to France![:O] Obscure mediterranean and eastern european cities yes, but I have never been to either Paris or London.

Circumstances of my occupation, I suppose. [79] That's why I'm asking for recommendations.

edit: and yes, I sure hope Johnny pipes up, he has awfully good taste, doesn't he? [73]

[/quote]

Whoa, a cultured young lady like you never been to Paris?! Tres avant-garde!

Johnny's taste is not to be trusted - dontbecruel already determined that! [74] But, yea, I'd think he should know a little somethin'.

Well, you are staying in the best area to begin with, so I see a lot of walking in my crystal ball. I You MUST get a shawarma there in one of those old Jewish corner places - they are heavenly. suggest walking from your place to Notre-Dame, crossing the river and hanging out in St. Germain. I guess a visit to Musee D'Orsay is a must as well. I will not recommend the Louvre cause it's just insane - all the joy would be sucked out of you by the crowds. Besides, it's better to go to a future licensed branch in Dubai (ha-ha!).

Ok, I just realized I suck at Paris. Just walk - that's my best recommendation. Oh, and you also must buy all the CCP at L'ecraiblabla.

And one last thing, from an anthropological perspective. I recommend stopping by the flagship LV store and check out Japanese tourists lining up around the block to get in. Fascinating. Otherwise, Champs-Elysees is a major skip.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nycd
                      • Oct 2006

Chez Marianne, on a corner in Le Marais, has some of the best middle-eastern food I've had - lots of tourists there - but it's really good.

It's on a corner of Rue des Rosiers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_des_Rosiers

Comment

• nqth
                        • Sep 2006

The Marais is good for shopping on Sundays, too, some shops (and l'eclaireurs) are open here, as other shops are rather closed. Avoid the cafe next to the Dries store. They have the most expensive espressoin the world:-) Marais is always so crowded, our friends rather go to the arear next to Montmartre (and it's cheaper:). I also have heard ppl complaining the St. Germain has lost its atmosphere, since the univs are now located all over Paris. But the area around ruede Grenelle is so nice.

If you go a bit to the north, around st. denis i think there is a lovely area full of pakistan and hindus restaurants and shops. You might want to find a small passage with one hairdresser next to another, it's really a surprise for me in Paris.

And inMusee Galliera thereis a nice exhibition about fashion from the 20s.

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Hmmm, well here's some random thoughts. I really agree with Faust about just walking. It's the best thing to do in Paris. As nqth said, Marais is good on a Sunday since it's the only part of town that opens. The place on the corner mentioned is great, if it's the one where you sort of pick 5 or 6 smalldishes. Great fallafel.Not sure if LEclaireur always opens on a Sunday though - I think they just do this in fashion week. Sitting in the Place des Voges is great. Oh and the Musee Carnevalet is free on a Sunday - a sort of history of Paris museum, it's really good. Camille is a good little French place for some dinner in the Marais. Walking up to the 3rd from the 4th is nice. Rue Vieux du Temple I think. Some good shops, APC, Isabel Marant, Erotokritos etc.

If you fancy going off the beaten track a bit, try Les Galopins restaurant - there are a few, one near Nation and one near Republique. Really nice "homely" french cooking, good value, loads of wines by the glass...

On the left banka walk up the Rue du Bac is good - lovely little shops and then up to Bon Marche. Then walk down Rue de Seinne to the river - lovely galleries, Isabel Marant Shop nearby, and out at the Dries shop.

You need to check out Colette. I know people think it's naff but it's great fun. It's like going to a fashion zoo! Go to Laduree for macarons and other treats. Also the Castiglione on rue st honore is nice, good for a quick drink.and the food is good too.

THere's loads more but I'm a rubbish typer and it's taking me ages. I'm sure you'lllove it Laika.

Comment

• nqth
                            • Sep 2006

You might be right, Johnny, about l'eclaireur. I went there during FW.

Comment

• ardeetee
                              • Apr 2007

THE falafel place to goto in the 4er (le marais) is L'As Falafel on Rue de Rosier. Just keep heading east on that street and you should run into L'eclaireur womens (on the right side) and straight ahead at the T-intersection is the mens store :)

Comment

• Buckwheat
                                • Sep 2006

Thank you for the great info everyone. I am going in December. Also going to visit Lyon and Strasbourg.

Please report back after your visit Laika.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎