X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interest1
    • Nov 2008

/\

Don't let society determine your milestones. Set your own.

Age is only a stigma if you make it one (applies to many things in life, I find).

sain't

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

timber, that is a gorgeous outfit, and a lovely photo.

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
        /\

Age is only a stigma if you make it one (applies to many things in life, I find).

An admirable sentiment perhaps, and I'm a rather conventional chap, but sometimes it pays to take heed of such milestones. Ignoring them can lead to some unfortunate results.

Comment

• orphée
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
          i was kidding. i thought by my posts in other areas it was sorta obvious. i'm a proud 55...but i'll be younger next year....promise
          Well, 50 is the new 40, 40 the new 30, etc. etc.

And to get briefly back to the tucking issue, if tempted to tuck, twist first. It might help to smooth out the boot-trouser line or at least tighten up the trouser legs.

Comment

• DRRRK
            • Aug 2009

/\

Yesss.

But,
            I don't think you can set a milestone. They just happen and you can tell later that they were events you can regard as milestones. Meeting the right woman, your best friend, listening to your favorite band for the first time, none of this can be planned in advance.

Comment

• ronin
              Banned
              • Dec 2009

Very nice Timber, and that's a beautiful shot. Love the colour palette, especially with your hair. (I don't know why, but somehow every shot featuring a dark tunnel end and railways makes me think of Memories of murder. It's different from the movie scene in every possible way but it's still the first thing that came to mind.)

Milestones scare me as well. I'm turning 25 in a few months and it scares the shit out of me. Which is why I've decided I'll be an eternal 22 from now on.

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                An admirable sentiment perhaps,and I'm a rather conventional chap, but sometimes it pays to take heed of such milestones. Ignoring them can lead to some unfortunate results.

Well maybe being conventional is the problem.

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                But, I don't think you can set a milestone. They just happen and you can tell later that they were events you can regard as milestones. Meeting the right woman, your best friend, listening to your favorite band for the first time, none of this can be planned in advance.
                Sure you can. A milestone, by broader definition, is simply something you want to achieve that's important to you. You don't have to know the date in advance. The day your goal is met becomes your milestone.

Where age is concerned, if you believe the age of 30, for example, is important for some reason, then reaching that age will be considered a milestone for you. Likewise with any other age. It only has the value that you assign it. I think it's strange and actually unfortunate how society puts these markers on age, basically random numbers. Ok, 30: tell me why, specifically, 30 is even a milestone? Because everyone says it is? That's not good enough for me. At the heart of the matter, when people dread whatever they consider to be a "benchmark" age, it's usually because they feel they haven't accomplished something specific, or haven't accomplished enough.

That way of thinking can be a mind-fuck because it puts needless pressure on people to feel they have to achieve this or that by a certain "cut-off", or risk feeling like a failure. That might motivate some, but it breeds stagnancy in many others. People are fearing some arbitrary timeline because of little more than self-imposed, societally-generated pressure to do so. I'm not saying that having/achieving goals isn't important, just that so much stress and self-doubt can be avoided when we start questioning 'conventional' standards–rather than subscribing blindly to them.

And don't get me started on the fear that strikes the hearts of so many women when they associate (losing their) looks with some approaching "milestone" age. Ugh..that's a whole other conversation, just as equally self-destructive...
                sain't

Comment

• luxaeterna
                  • Aug 2009

First waywt post, here goes!

I'd appreciate any comments on the jacket sizing...I have mixed feelings about it.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                    • Mar 2007

luxaeterna - the sizing for the jacket is spot on! Looks great!

(not really into those pants though)

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Sure you can. A milestone, by broader definition, is simply something you want to achieve that's important to you. You don't have to know the date in advance. The day your goal is met becomes your milestone.
                      By your definition you're right.

For the rest I didn't quote:

luxaeterna The fit is perfect. What makes you think that it's not?

Comment

• SuperTurboTaco
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                        Milestones scare me as well. I'm turning 25 in a few months and it scares the shit out of me. Which is why I've decided I'll be an eternal 22 from now on.
                        That`s hilarious!!! 25 is nothing! My advice, use and abuse everything you can in your 20s and don`t even think of age. And why on earth would you want to be 22 forever? I had some of the best times of my life in my 20s, but I am sure glad those years are over(and I`m still alive).

Now thirties, well that is a different story. Could have cared less about turning 30, but for myself, things changed at thirty. Nothing mentally, but physically I felt things change. And just to add, turned 34 last week and things couldn`t be better.

Comment

• ronin
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009

^ No, I wasn't serious at all. I don't mind aging (well... in theory, maybe I'll speak differently in ten years, who knows). What bugs me the most is losing the financial advantages that go with being under 25 - reductions for movies, theaters, exhbitions, train tickets...
                          And the fact that most 'student' specificities go along with "<25" ones. Socially, that's heavy. I'm not a student anymore but I like to think that I may start my studies again because I dislike my job and am bored to death in the path I chose. I know that people start their studies at any age (my mother passed her A-level at age 42), but I feel like I have less chances as time goes by, and unconsciously I feel like it's a little late.

Luxaeterna - I like how the jacket looks, it looks a bit tight around the shoulders in the second shot and it does look like it creases a little under the armpit but it may be the sleeves that give this impression.
                          Last edited by ronin; 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• luxaeterna
                            • Aug 2009

Hey, thanks a lot for the comments! I initially felt it was a bit roomy in the torso and a bit long (I am pretty short--5'8 on a good day), as the fw09 rider fit more snug, plus I've always been under the impression that a leather jacket should fit tight like a glove. The leather and construction of it is out of this world though, and I think I will hold on to it.

Before this I had the aviator leather from Dior fw07, but that was really boxy and unflattering and the leather wasn't that great, so I'm a lot happier with this. Still yearning for my CCP grail though, and I probably always will be...

also the pants, yeah, probably should look into a darker pair.

Comment

• zxc4030
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by luxaeterna View Post
                              also the pants, yeah, probably should look into a darker pair.
                              I think you should! those pants look like a cheap American Eagle cargo

by the way, the leather fits great on you!

Comment

• christianef
                                • Feb 2009

awesome snafu!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡