X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deleuze
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
    I thought the thread was just about sharing what you're wearing on a particular day. Setting and mood only enter it if you're trying to put together an editorial, or create an image of yourself. As far as I know the people who post here are not trying to put editorials together. I shouldn't speak on the latter, but I don't imagine people post here to cultivate false perceptions of themselves.
    I understand that but then the thread would be quite tiresome and even more ripe for insults. And it is naive to suggest that taking a simple photo of what you are wearing today before heading out the door is not creating an image of yourself. All photos do that, that's all that is being judged, is the image you're projecting, some people are good at it, others not, but it has little to do with who they are, or how many commas they use in a sentence.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
      • Mar 2007

Fark - good fit, don't mind the glasses at all. But I got to ask...are you comfortable wearing that in that heat in KL? I know 'cause I spend most of my time in a tropical climate too, pretty close to you, and I can't imagine draping myself like that in this heat. Am curious what your friends whom you met for coffee wore

Comment

• merkuri
        • Sep 2009

really? looks about as natural as me in ed hardy

Originally posted by Christian View Post
        Outfit and pics are both great Fark. You wear h-t-t Rick very well. And I don't mind the glasses.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
          • Jan 2010

Good Morning from this part of the world! I'm quite surprised to see that my fit had sparked quite a debate. Here are a few points to clear up (or not :() this situation:-

• I absolutely love what I wear and if I post an image here then rest assured I'm very very comfortable in it. Just like Heirloom, I'm always comfortable in my clothes (except that one time, I bought some APC New Cures and they were really tight, and after some wear it would still dislocate my schwetty nuts, I have since sold these jeans to someone with no testicles)

• I had coffee at a Jazz bar here called No Black Tie after seeing a performance at another jazz bar opposite it named Delucca. If you guys ever have a chance to come here I highly recommend these restaurants if you appreciate Neo-soul, Jazz, or Drum ensembles - No Black Tie for the sound and delucca for the food. I don't know if any of you have been to these places, but they are generally very cold, or colder than the usual cafés (even so most if not all cafés have air conditioning). Remember, I'm always indoors, and not bouncing around outside.

• The cloak really is very soft and it was a beautiful day yesterday with unexpected strong winds and slight drizzle outside. I finally was to feel the garments as they moved around as the breeze went by me - I didn't see it, but i knew that it was beautiful in motion.

• After a while I thought to myself "Now why in the world would I want to sell these glasses"!. These are my favourite pair and I bought two of them , one in tortoiseshell and the other in black. They're worn very well and I feel so creative in them, but at the same time very intellectual too. They are Dita Grand Reserves.

I'd like to thank all of you for the comments, be it positive or negative. I really don't have anything else to say, I just want to have my warm shower and a shot of espresso with some biscotti. They are waiting for me

Farhan.
          MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

I think the glasses work. But it's a pretty serious outfit. Shave your head and you'll look bad as hell. A monk gone wrong. A lot of times a person's hair cut makes/breaks the fit for me. It can complete the look or make it look like "dress-up time."

Regardless, I think you look great.

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

Like with ABS and my previous comment. I salute to you Fark if you can wear that in Malaysian weather. Indoors is air conditioned to 18 degrees but I will immediately sweat everywhere in my clothes going in and out. Curious to know what you'd have to contribute to http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6834

Oh and I think they meant mental comfort in your clothes...not how physically comfortable you are.

Comment

• nictan
                • Jul 2009

Fark: im from singapore. the weather is the exact same as in malaysia. we're just a bridge away. honestly, i really dont see how you can wear that in this weather right now, without feeling the least bit uncomfortable. It might just be me, but it doesnt matter if you will be in an air-conditioned venue the majority of the time. even putting those clothes on, walking out of your room, out into your mode of transport (i'll assume you drive, if not, public transport is worse), and den getting out and to where-ever you need to be. Man. thats a pretty long exposure to the heat. unless its downright pouring with rain, if not, a slight drizzle is gonna make it WAY more humid. which makes things alot worse.

but then again, maybe it so happened that today was an unexceptionally perfect day with the perfect conditions to pull that off. So as they said, hats off to you for doing it. I'd never risk that, you'll never know when the sun comes out

To be honest, just looking at that outfit, from where i am, is already making me feel uncomfortable, heat-wise.

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

This bottom part feels really awkward to me for some reason. I think tucking works in pretty specific situations (personal taste) and tight blue jeans and brown boots seems overly forced.
                  I tend to see it more naturally where there's a military look and feel because you generally see the tuck used with military outfits and, in earlier days, in some of the more upper class outfits (like riding boots).
                  I'm not of the mindset that everything has to be black but I think it's the specific shades of blue/brown and the point of intersection that strikes me as feeling unnatural.
                  I do love the coat. Very much.

As far as the past few pages, I think a lot of people were turned off by Fark's earlier posts and it's one of those situations about first impressions.
                  I think it's cool that he's stuck around and that he seems legitimately interested in participating and learning and interacting because those are the things that make the forum great.
                  I will say that his posts (eventually) lead to some intelligent exchange. I like that members end up defending their opinions in the aftermath and that it makes people think twice about comments regarding context of outfits and environment and things like that.
                  Originally posted by mizzar
                  Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Farky, you're one helluva classy 17-year old.

Not to mention a lot of the stuff you've been posting are pretty recent acquisitions, no? Live in them for a few years, they'll have acquired the patina of companionship with you through thick-and-thin and look the better for it. 95% of the outfits I wear in 2010 are comprised of the exact same clothes I had and wore in 2006-7, and I probably look better in them now that they've come a ways with me, but more importantly I definitely feel a lot more comfortable and at ease with getting dressed in these items every day because they've become lived-in to the point it's second nature, even though the combinations may have switched up a bit.
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                      • Jan 2010

Well I try to do things other 17 year old don't do. I love coffee and I love music, so it comes to no surprise that one can find me in these places, having a deep conversation with a stranger, reading a good book, whilst sipping some coffee and enjoying the beautiful sounds from the performers. My sister is a rising jazz performer here and my family are all business minded but very creatively inclined, although my father is in politics. We try to find time to be together and attend performances and dinner together so we are a very closely knit family.

And like you said, I've had clothes that I've been wearing to bits, and for the better. They start becoming a second skin and I'm sure my new purchases will have a story to tell one day, although that day is a long way to go.
                      MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                        • Mar 2009

Same things, but a new silhouette. I really like that one - even if it would have been better with wider pants.

I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          This thread sucks and has gotten more vicious in the past few months. Whatever happened to the prevalent "Don't like it, don't say anything or offer constructive criticism" SZ etiquette? I don't even know why I look here anymore. Magician, your comment was simply dumb. Not to mention the one above...

FtB's was the only comment that had any value - what he was trying to say, if I am not mistaken, is that the fits work best where there exists a connection between the personality and the wearer.

Fark, I hope you don't get offended by these idiots. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do about your appearance.

And, lowkey, who the fuck are you, mr 10 posts, to comment on anyone's appearance?
                          i'm slapping myself for perpetuating this wacky little detour but i want to mention that i agree with everything faust just said here. except for 1 thing.

firstly ftb's post made the most sense: the connection with personality but also the impact of age. (that's how i took it anyway). the fact* that being a teenager is associated with "going thru a phase" makes it very hard for the young'uns to pull off more dramatic personal style and clothing. the personality must be strong enough to make it feel authentic. obviously none of us know fark well enough to say if this is a go or not. but clearly a lot of people feel comfortable making an educated guess .

which brings us to the thing i disagree about and the reason i'm taking the time to write this. i think waywt has the potential to be the best thread on sz (if we don't count klangspiels sale threads. ) this is where we see the designs we love in action. seeing them worn by actual humans gives us better perspective on the pieces themselves, since most of us are limited to experiencing them only as images until they actually show up at our door. and that is the point of sz, right? its about the work, isn't it? and on a less important note, i also think it provides us a place for a little bit of personal expression through a version of self portrait photography. although that is not a requirement of course. but its cool to see. we are able to express our personalities a bit and create identity and build more of a community, because we actually get to know each other in a way. well as best you can on the interwebz. anyway i think all we need is a little reminder that we are trying to keep to a different standard here and that class and common courtesy are valued. use your vast knowledge and superior taste to offer constructive criticism yo.

so if you want to talk shit you need to be very creative and funny about it. its gonna take effort. this is sz not niketalk...

*yes i said fact. i think sometimes some people, like heirloom maybe, think in terms of ideals, and others think in terms of "yeah thats nice but thats not how it really is." and this leads to disagreements where no one is actually "right"

next waywt please.
                          Last edited by cjbreed; 04-24-2010, 10:55 AM.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Magician
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                            This bottom part feels really awkward to me for some reason. I think tucking works in pretty specific situations (personal taste) and tight blue jeans and brown boots seems overly forced.
                            I tend to see it more naturally where there's a military look and feel because you generally see the tuck used with military outfits and, in earlier days, in some of the more upper class outfits (like riding boots).
                            I'm not of the mindset that everything has to be black but I think it's the specific shades of blue/brown and the point of intersection that strikes me as feeling unnatural.
                            I do love the coat. Very much.
                            Thanks for the constructive criticism, the jeans are black FWIW but I agree it looks kinda awkward, esp. with my shitty photo. I have oversize feet for my height (sz 13 and I'm a little over 5'10") so I'm still learning how to make boots work. I wore a similar outfit last night but went with a much lower profile chelsea boot.

the jacket is one of my favorite things in the world, it has really severe british tailoring with sharp shoulders and tight waist supression, and this odd construction on the lapels where they are sewn flat against the coat.

Fark I bet your glasses and haircut would look great with some Thom Browne - I mean this sincerely as I like well-done Thom Browne looks very much.
                            Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Magician View Post
                              Thanks for the constructive criticism, the jeans are black FWIW but I agree it looks kinda awkward, esp. with my shitty photo. I have oversize feet for my height (sz 13 and I'm a little over 5'10") so I'm still learning how to make boots work. I wore a similar outfit last night but went with a much lower profile chelsea boot.
                              if you have large feet and what seems like fairly slim legs, I'm not sure if tucking the pants in is a good idea as it tends to elongate your feet. or at least wear the boots more loosely, tying them real tight also makes your feet look longer and bigger. slightly less shrinkwrapped pants might do the trick as well. just some random thoughts.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BSR
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                                Same things, but a new silhouette. I really like that one - even if it would have been better with wider pants.
                                Interesting variation over a well-known theme. But:
                                -I'd prefer a longer shirt
                                -I'm not sure about these soles here, a bit heavy no?
                                Maybe I'm just too influenced by the usual Ann outfit...

-And I agree with you, wider (or slimmer) pants would be a better choice. Are you soon dropcrotching ?
                                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎