X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
    a moment of silence for baby & landwolf.
    you should have defended him in my absence, soldier.

Anyway, if the majority really do find him offensive, I think a temporary ban is reasonable action...
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
      nothing like a bit of levity i always say..
      за ухо и в угол!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Spencer
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Oh, please, they asked for it.

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"

I applaud you Faust for trying to keep this place civil and on topic (relatively speaking). I see my low post count, as well as these newbies and try to only post something substantial so I'm not lumped into the coming horde. Unfortunately (for myself) I end up deleting most of what I type. But that's my own problem.

Anyway, what?

Comment

• destroyed
          • Nov 2006

i love fora with hardline moderation and i am fond of the banning users (it is so exciting!)

then again, i have never been banned from a forum, and maybe my opinion on the matter would be different if i had experienced it

this is starting to sound like a worthy experiment...
          broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

eh, it gets boring after a while and you just wanna "settle down" like many a great casanova might after finding themselves stuck in the trap that is the 30s, balding, recession not just of the hairline but also in their vitality as they no longer have that youthful lustre that once blazed football fields and $1 pitcher nights at the college tavern. I can empathize with why people stay in the cubicle even though the highlight of the day is the wake-up jerk off.

Anyway I digress...but yeah I know a thing or two about gettin banned from fora. Ain't all it's cracked up to be. But then again this is my point of view, perhaps you gotta go around the block a few times before you see the stop sign, kid. Goood luck.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• destroyed
              • Nov 2006

i am receding a la Jack Nicholson so i don't really mind so much though it sends the wife into a panic

i am looking forward to jesus-age and beyond, becoming more gentlemanly, a bit of the old salt & pepper, distinguished-like, brass-handled walking stick, tut-tut, trading in that youthful fire for tempered heat, that slow burn that no salve can soothe, singing songs of experience. determined not to scowl or shake the fist at the kids on the lawn, and never ever going to resort to elasticated waistbands, but instead like, growing a long silver beard, and palming chocolates for ephebes to try to snatch, perhaps pointing to the moon on occasion.
              broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

fuck me Santa fuck me Santa
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                  • Sep 2006

It seems to me that something similar is happening here to what happened back years ago on the original Dior Homme forum. The change isn't happening because of Faust/moderators... but is, instead, a change of... "demographic."

Cattiness, bitchiness, and snarkiness to compensate for having something valuable, informative, or decent to say, coupled with a sense of hysteria and immaturity as people begin to become more focused on the acquisition of the clothes, instead of a discussion about them... began to permeate that forum and destroyed what was a pretty neat place and a unique group.

It also coincided with a wider dissemination of the Dior brand itself as it became the brand coveted by spoiled teenagers who didn't get why Dior, initially, was the brand of choice for exquisite tailoring; they wanted Dior because it was "cool."

The brands loved here perhaps, too, are not the tiny little niches that the once were... they are becoming "mainstream" and "it," though in a different way. They are becoming "it" for not being "it." (if that makes sense).

Faust is right to bring down the banhammer when shit-stirrers do their worst. He's doing the best he can to make the place interesting and keeping it from dissolving entirely (as did the Dior Forum, for all practical purposes) or becoming a Nursery School (fashion spot).

As for "baby," I think a bit of reading on his sales thread might be in order for his chief defenders; the great "poet" and conceptual artist du jour seems to have sold the same shoes and jacket multiple times. VERY poetic... maybe that's just his brilliant way to contribute to "anarchy." Then again, some of us might have another name for it... stealing?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thank you John, but you must not provoke FtB into another eulogy.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Thank you John, but you must not provoke FtB into another eulogy.
                      My bad! :(

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
                        As for "baby," I think a bit of reading on his sales thread might be in order for his chief defenders; the great "poet" and conceptual artist du jour seems to have sold the same shoes and jacket multiple times. VERY poetic... maybe that's just his brilliant way to contribute to "anarchy." Then again, some of us might have another name for it... stealing?
                        Thanks for the recommendation, but let's keep things in their proper places shall we? Being a thief does not interfere with one's ability to write poetically.

Regardless, I'm very sorry to hear of the scamming, if that's indeed what's happened.
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by laika View Post
                          Thanks for the recommendation, but let's keep things in their proper places shall we? Being a thief does not interfere with one's ability to write poetically.

Regardless, I'm very sorry to hear of the scamming, if that's indeed what's happened.
                          haha laika you beat me to it.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

I think jlc puts the point well. Maybe it is a generatiional thing but baby was a self regarding irritant. I agree that Faust was right to ban him, for exactly the reasons given. The free speach argument seems falacious to me. I thought the point of this community was that it was to appeal to a particular group of people that may have some common bonds in terms of approach, way of thinking, outlook, so it makes sense to me that if someone clearly has no interest in that and just wants to wind people up about the square root of fuck all, he shouldn't be here. Mind you, I think unless you get some help on the mod-ing front Faust, there are going to be too many babies to mop up after before long.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                              Maybe not, but one's character has nothing to do with the respect we accord their work, whether online or in general? Those saying what great "contributions" he gives to the forum are willing to overlook that he might be scamming its very members or that he uses racist and/or demeaning language that even my 7 year old cousin knows better than to use?

I mean, we don't know 100% one way or the other whether he did, but it still should give some pause. And, I've been on enough forums and have bought/sold enough to know that what looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... is rarely Jean Genet.

Anyway, the mental masturbation volume has gotten turned up a little too loud for me, so I'm going back to watching old re-runs of "Battlestar Galactica" with Lorne Green now...

I'm just waiting for somebody to bring in post-structuralism, Roland Barthes, or Derrida's "il n'y a pas de hors-texte" in defending Baby's use of language... haha
                              Last edited by rach2jlc; 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
                                Maybe not, but one's character has nothing to do with the respect we accord their work, whether online or in general? Those saying what great "contributions" he gives to the forum are willing to overlook that he might be scamming its very members? I mean, we don't know 100% one way or the other whether he did, but it still should give some pause. And, I've been on enough forums and have bought/sold enough to know that what looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... is rarely Jean Genet.
                                Sorry, I just found your reading recommendation rather patronising. As though those who have defended baby in the past ought to have known all along that behind that unconventional prose, a boot bandit was lurking. My point is not that he is just like Genet, but that one thing really has nothing to do with the other. If you find his writing annoying, fine; but there's no need to condescend to those of us who don't.

Anyway, I'd assume he's gone for good now, so i guess there's not much more to discuss...I do hope for the sake of the buyers that he hasn't really pulled a scam.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎