• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Take it or leave it

[quote user="deleuze"]Seriously there are long-time members here continuously guilty of much more egregious transgressions against the community than a dude posting pics of Alaska.[/quote]

he obviously did not get banned for posting pics of Alaska [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I also don't understand those of you who say that banning these few people is negatively affecting this community. The good finds thread used to be about community. The whole point of it (and respecting dibs) was to find bargains for people. Instead, it turned into a display of selfishness and nastiness, culminating with B.S.'s BS behavior (not to mention the nasty run-in between Mass and Diego, which was awful). Am I the only one who sees it that way? [72]
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

If I have 50 quality members here, so be it.

[/quote]

Will you have 50 quality members, though, or just 50 people who like the Atelier brands and stay out of your way?

I like the fact that you're critical and opinionated, but I think you scare some people off - they're afraid that if they say the wrong thing, you'll ban them, chew them out, or that they'll be ostracized for having shitty taste.

Having a couple of moderators would make it seem more like a forum, and less like a hang-out place for your internet fashion posse (not saying it's always like that, at all, just that it can approach that sometimes).

Another thing to do would be to just turn "Shopping and Personal Style" to "Questions and Answers" - limit its scope, so people are driven to the parts of the forum that involve more real discussion.

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

i agree with pea pod and laika. i think it defeats the purpose of the free flow of ideas and exchange to ban others, and I am quite against it. it disrupts the system, whatever that is. I dont think that people should personally attack anyone either and it be condoned. agreed that some can be quite bothersome and quite rude, again VADL does have that tendency, as well as some others. i have had things directed at me on a few instances. but i feel that the most democratic way is to let it play out or find a way to set up some guidelines in some of the areas that have the most contention. i am not sure how to overhaul things to make them better. I am not sure of the best solution or any concrete one at the moment to suggest. but i think this discussion is good to be having. i came here with the pea pods urging and have really enjoyed posting here and learning. but things are definitely a bit tense right now. it always seemed that the collective somehow managed to repair the damages and that is not happening now. how to remedy that... not sure.[51]

EDIT: a couple of drinks and some discussion could solve much of this [74]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• deleuze
            • Jul 2007

[quote user="Faust"]The whole point of it (and respecting dibs) was to find bargains for people. Instead, it turned into a display of selfishness and nastiness, culminating with B.S.'s BS behavior (not to mention the nasty run-in between Mass and Diego, which was awful). Am I the only one who sees it that way? [72]
            [/quote]

If only that was the worst abuse of the good finds thread . . .

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Real Real"][quote user="Faust"]

If I have 50 quality members here, so be it.

[/quote]

Will you have 50 quality members, though, or just 50 people who like the Atelier brands and stay out of your way?

I like the fact that you're critical and opinionated, but I think you scare some people off - they're afraid that if they say the wrong thing, you'll ban them, chew them out, or that they'll be ostracized for having shitty taste.

Having a couple of moderators would make it seem more like a forum, and less like a hang-out place for your internet fashion posse (not saying it's always like that, at all, just that it can approach that sometimes).

Another thing to do would be to just turn "Shopping and Personal Style" to "Questions and Answers" - limit its scope, so people are driven to the parts of the forum that involve more real discussion.[/quote]

Nonsense. I am the first person to promote diversity here. No forum... well, no public venture will ever be perfect. I will say it again and again - SZ is what you make it. Don't like Poell? Post about something else. You like BV, for example - I don't. Did you ever hear me say anything bad about it?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                • Feb 2007

Not saying that it's true - I know that you mean to welcome a variety of people, as long as they're smart (which is why this is the only internet forum I use...just need a politics thread, haha) - but my impression is that it doesn't always come off that way. That's all.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Well, things can't be perfect :-). Feel free to start the politics thread.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• giantreptile
                    • Jun 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Well, things can't be perfect :-). Feel free to start the politics thread.
                    [/quote]

no matter what, you and the other senior membersshould feel proud of what you created. this will all blow over by monday. and no, i'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Faust, I am pretty sure that the thing with b.s. was a misunderstanding...he probably didn't bid on the scarf when it was listed before because the price was higher (or maybe he did bid and lost the auction). He also mentioned--before you decided you didn't want it--that it wasn't as long as he thought and he was having second thoughts. i'd really like to see him come back.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you change policies...we are all in agreement, i believe, with the statement on the front page. But having a mod, or just a little group of people to confer with about bans etc., seems like a very reasonable idea. Why not? We are a kind of democracy, no?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

i am a loyal sufu member and while it is often sophomoric, i think the concept of dibs takes the cake honestly. i have not called dibs since i was 9. life isn't fair.

it's odd though as i've found certain tenets of this site somewhat exclusionary but conversely, less muscle hate here than on sufu. people seem to be a bit more adult about that kind of thing here.

i think sz and sufu serve entirely different purposes. as does styleforum, where hardly anyone knows anything about fashion IMO but which is a lot of fun for political banter and such, as well as some great formalwear finds in the market/classifieds.

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

[quote user="kunk75"]

i am a loyal sufu member and while it is often sophomoric, i think the concept of dibs takes the cake honestly. i have not called dibs since i was 9. life isn't fair.

it's odd though as i've found certain tenets of this site somewhat exclusionary but conversely, less muscle hate here than on sufu. people seem to be a bit more adult about that kind of thing here.

i think sz and sufu serve entirely different purposes. as does styleforum, where hardly anyone knows anything about fashion IMO but which is a lot of fun for political banter and such, as well as some great formalwear finds in the market/classifieds.

[/quote]

i thought the idea around calling dibs was so that if you knew the person that wanted it like you did, it gives you the opportunity to talk about it so that you dont raise the price against one another. competition is great, but if there is a way to avoid raising a bid unnecessarily then why not. that is how i understood the 'dibs' idea on good finds- monetary reasoning. nothing more. am i wrong?

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                            • Jan 2008

Not only that kira but it's also a form of respect to not go after something someone has already expressed interest in. I applaud anyone that follows the dibs rule especially on the internet where you are anonymous (for the most part) and can pretty much act as you please. Very hard to find respectable people on the internet.

edit - Also, "life isn't fair" This is true but life is also full of choices and making the choice to not be an asshole is one of the best decisions you can make.

Originally posted by ddohnggo
                            fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

i agree with what you both said and i wouldn't screw someone over, but it doesn't seem to warrant a ban.

Comment

• kira
                                • Mar 2008

[quote user="kunk75"]i agree with what you both said and i wouldn't screw someone over, but it doesn't seem to warrant a ban.[/quote]

i was not suggesting a ban, just trying to understand if i understand the dibs thing that is all. i dont agree with banning.

cant we all just get along now. really.

drinks and dancing anyone? [74]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎