Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mortalveneer
    • Jan 2008

ledger that second one is particularly mesmerizing for me...I have a fascination with floating orbs...
    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
      .yellow.

interest1, you probably hate my guts right now but i want to show you this..

and ledger, wonderful nature morte. looking forward to seeing more..

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

i want to share with you guys my little project on red hook, brooklyn. this is place is incredible to walk around on a rainy day. the whole neighborhood is like an abandoned 19th century seaside town–completely decrepit, but surprisingly high-rent! It's all being gentrified or already is, so i thought i'd get some pictures in before it all turned into condos..

this was photographed only on cloudy days so in order to wait for that type of weather, it took a good 2 months before i could get any decent shots in. i've moved out of brooklyn since then, but if i had the time again, i'd go back and reshoot the whole place on 4x5. the square format sucks for this type of work, but it is what it is..

these pictures are very dear to me, so please share your thoughts. thank you.

mamiya 6, 50mm, 75mm, 150mm
        tri-x?

1922 concrete silo.

this is a boiler factory.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

last 2..

revere sugar refinery.

Comment

• mortalveneer
            • Jan 2008

awesome enders...that is right up my alley (unfortunately only figuratively)

glad you recorded and shared it before it was completely gentrified.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• SuperTurboTaco
                • Oct 2009

endersgame Those photos are truly amazing! I have been very impressed with the photos in this thread as of late, but these are truly my favorite. I use to have hundreds of negatives and prints like this, before I lost them all !!

Sometimes I feel a bit uninspired but after looking at your shots, I want to run out and take photos! As for myself, I like the square format, but perhaps I am not the best judge, I LOVE this format. I am very Jealous of your camera as well! For a long time I wanted a Mamiya 7II, but recently that has changed to a Mamiya 6, my holy grail of cameras(well, one of them). If you ever want to get rid of it, I wouldn`t mind paying the shipping!!

Really though, I am glade you shared those, I know it can be a difficult thing to do when something is very near and dear to you. Always the question(For myself anyway), will people like these and see them the way I do? It`s like showing a piece of your heart and nobody wants their heart to be broken. Again maybe that`s just me. Seriously, love the photos.

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

mortalveneer, thanks. the changes are small, but noticeable. i don't mind the ikea and super safeways, as long as they do more restoring than tearing down.

taco, thanks. i'm sorry you lost the negs. i guess it would be better to shoot digital.

well, i hope i'm inspiring you, because i can't seem to get off my ass to shoot again myself. i just sold my deardorff (too fucking big), so i can't offer you anything useful.

i've used both mamiya 6 and 7's and i prefer the 6 for the collapsible body, but buy them while you still can, the lenses are tack sharp..so i'm glad you like them. there are other projects in the archives, so stay tuned..

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

enders–Red Hook shots are my favorite from you, hands-down. Every image of the series is strong. There's a nostalgia to them, yet they immediately register as modern. My fave is #1. Why no HOF for bulletin board???!

Re: your yellow snap riffing off my yellow series–don't be silly saying I'm gonna hate you! It brought a smile to my face. Funny that I took that picture over 4 years ago–before I ever lived here!

btw, how the hell'd you get that Care Bear shot?!!
                    sain't

Comment

• thaiison
                      • Dec 2009

that's a great idea interest1, a thread with the best photos would be great. Sometimes you forget to maybe save a photo you like or later think of it and to have the best ones saved in one place would be a good opportunity. It's also, as well as the other HOF thread, a great way of just easy and fast look at the best contributions.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

yeah a 'best of bulletin board' is a good idea, i third that. I remember Christian nominating that sidewalk shot i posted up in the Yohji Yamamoto thread for "HOF," and while I was grateful for the recognition, it'd be awkward to put a picture of a bare branch on the road alongside pictures of people wearing their clothes.

edit - For the Academy's Consideration:

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

and today

man i really need to find a fuckin job.

and another one

Last edited by Fade to Black; 02-25-2010, 03:18 AM. Reason: changed wording, added picture
                          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                            mortalveneer, thanks. the changes are small, but noticeable. i don't mind the ikea and super safeways, as long as they do more restoring than tearing down.
                            this reminds me of that line sam shepard wrote in true west that went something like "i watch color television, i shop at the safeway...forget about the west, it's a dead issue!"

hope you get your mojo back soon.
                            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• mortalveneer
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                              For better or worse, this is sometimes the only way to preserve things at all as they were. I am endlessly poking my nose into buildings in stages of decay from the recently abandoned to the nearly collapsed...and in a highly populated area, such buildings/land carry an inherent value that once the buildings deteriorate to a given point, their ultimate condemnation, destruction, and transformation into a strip mall is nigh-inevitable. Hence, I do often see the commercial preservation (at least of exteriors and overall aesthetic) as a preferable alternative to this. Of course I wish such decaying edifices be left for the remainder of my life to crumble as they naturally would, but I recognize the impossibility of this, at least in such areas as the one you captured above, enders. This may be why I'm drawn to forgotten countryside haunts, for they are less likely to be subject to the demands of economic revitalization...

Quite like that last one FtB...

RED

and one of yours truly:

Last edited by mortalveneer; 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                                Why no HOF for bulletin board???!

btw, how the hell'd you get that Care Bear shot?!!
                                thanks interest. i'm not sure about this hof idea. it kind of makes it a contest.

i dunno. all i know is that when carebears ride, the like to ride dirty, and that's just how they roll...

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post

man i really need to find a fuckin job.
                                heh, no you don't.

and the last pic is beautiful.
                                i was expecting a lot of black, but there is almost no black..

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                                ...and in a highly populated area, such buildings/land carry an inherent value that once the buildings deteriorate to a given point, their ultimate condemnation, destruction, and transformation into a strip mall is nigh-inevitable.
                                the whole neighborhood is mid to low income. no real estate developer is going to be interested in catering to their interests, let alone restoring civil-war era historics..

what freedom it is to carry around an open bottle in public..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎