X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Raw steel L shaped angle bar, welded together, mirror cut to shape by a glass supplier, couple of wooden beams in the back holding the mirror in place. I taped the edges of the mirror so that it doesn't scrape against the steel. It's really simple.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
      • Jul 2010

Thanks Lowrey, I really appreciate this. Would it be too much to ask if you had like a picture guide showing the different levels, step by step?

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
        • Jul 2010

It would just be a lot easier to have it visualized before going to built it myself, and also to see the different materials you've used??

Comment

• ryanhast
          • Sep 2013

lowrey you should charge for the design specs.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

sorry I don't have pictures but there is not much to making it. buy steel (I used 40mm or 50mm L-profile), cut it to length and 45 degree corners, weld together. buy a piece of mirror that fits the frame (glass shops will cut it to your specs), attach it however you want. I used a few pieces of wood that are screwed in place from the sides of the frame and hold the mirror in place.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              /\ a fucking trampoline?
              rororor

all this talk about mirrors makes me remember the time i could have picked up two enormous maxalto mirrors for free. i got so excited tho that the owner changed her mind. me and my big mouth.

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                • Jul 2010

Alright, I'll make it my fall-project then and hopefully it will turn out to be as good as yours. Once again, thanks!

I have another question you and everybody else in this forum maybe could help me with; I'm looking for a working table. I haven't decided on any specific style or design yet, have looked at a PK50 but I would like to get some inspiration before I make my final decision. I want something with wood, steel, that looks raw - maybe industrial - maybe not (?) - not new or white nor polished glean.
                What can you guys recommend?

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  rororor

all this talk about mirrors makes me remember the time i could have picked up two enormous maxalto mirrors for free. i got so excited tho that the owner changed her mind. me and my big mouth.
                  What happened?

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

Neue Galerie is selling an edition of 185 portfolios of Egon Schiele portraits reproductions to coincide with their show this Thursday. These are loose sheets so you can frame them. I'm thinking of getting this to hang in a series.

Facsimile portfolio of twelve portrait drawings by Egon Schiele (1890-1918).This portfolio edition features works from the Neue Galerie New York and the...

also a repro of a Schiele sculpture. it's very tiny 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.25"

This extraordinary object is a flawless reproduction of a rare Egon Schiele sculpture. The original was created by Schiele when he was briefly imprisone...

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

For the DIYers out there:

I have two nightstands made of Walnut wrapped in blackened steel. Despite being kept rigorously dry, the blackened steel has rusted substantially.

Does anyone know of a way to clean the rust without removing the blackened finish? Or is there a way to arrest the rust, then laminate it/finish it (polyurethane maybe?) for safety? The rust is kind of cool, even though it definitely wasn't planned.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

you might want to try some type of oil based thinner. you use cooking oil to clean a rusty cast iron pan, i would imagine you do the same thing in this case.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

I've heard of people using polyurethane clear coats on rusted surfaces. Also some cars are done with a patina finish so automotive 2-component clear coats should work.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Do you know if those stop the spread of rust, or just provide safety. I'd like to avoid ending up with "rust-wrapped walnut"?
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Aska
                              • Feb 2013

Steel rusts when exposed to air and humidity. There are different methods to seal it and prevent the rust from spreading. The basic is to ad something on top so the air is unable to reach the steel. It can be a resin, polyurethane, varnish etc. Grease can also be used, i often rub in linseed furniture oil because I think it looks more natural than to ad a plastic layer, but you have to repeat that once in a while.
                              If you want to keep it black, remove all rust with steel brush, sandblaster or sand paper. The traditional way is to apply oil(I use linseed) on to the steel and the burn it in with a torch and let it cool. The heat makes the steel go black again and the oil coating protects it. You can also use gunblack(sometimes gunblue) a highly poisonous liquid originally used to blacken and protect guns which gives an even pitch black finnish if done properly whilst the other technique looks a bit more organic.

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Thanks for the detailed response!

Can the heat application be brief (just enough to heat the surface? I'm worried about damaging the piece.

I can't disassemble the entire piece, and the steel is 1/4" thick, with walnut directly on the other side The pieces are big enough, and thick enough, that I will get some time before I begin to burn the wood, but ...

Linseed oil and a propane torch are things I can easily get my hands on, so I'm game to play here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎