Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doldrums
    • Dec 2008

i need to turn my office into a more productive workspace for brainstorming, sketching -> was thinking about painting one of the walls with chalkboard paint. Anyone done this? anything I should know?

Comment

• surver
      • Oct 2007

maarten de ceulaer

since we're on the subject of wardrobes... although not really a 'budget' option...

www.maartendeceulaer.com

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
        i need to turn my office into a more productive workspace for brainstorming, sketching -> was thinking about painting one of the walls with chalkboard paint. Anyone done this? anything I should know?
        It works great at first (writing on the walls that is), but becomes harder and harder to clean as time goes on. Unless you're willing to put 10 coats on, I'd avoid.

Also, I think it looks a bit dated now...but that's just my personal opinion on visuals...you sound like you're more interested in practical (although a charlkboard could be just as practical).
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• BrettChaotix
          • Nov 2007

Here is one more vote against ikea wardrobes, however their metal rolling racks aren't bad. I have an overflowing closet and dresser so I bought one of these, purchased on sale for $25 so I don't expect to keep it when I move eventually.

Browse our full range of products from dressing tables to complete modern kitchens. Click here to find the right IKEA product for you. Browse online and in-store today!

Comment

• doldrums
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for the advice.

I'm interested in practical. working on design process, branding, identity for a product which requires a good bit of collective brainstorming. we'd been doing things in offices but i'm tired of it - would rather be home. i'd seen some rooms in design magazines where they had turned a wall into a blackboard (and also plenty of restaurants) and it seemed to be effective.

Also, to me it looks great to have a wall with elaborate ideas, sketches in chalk and its less fussy than buying a big chalkboard and standing it up in the room, no?

Is there a coating I could use so that I could avoid chalk and use markers instead?

sz is full of architects isnt it?

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            It works great at first (writing on the walls that is), but becomes harder and harder to clean as time goes on. Unless you're willing to put 10 coats on, I'd avoid.

Also, I think it looks a bit dated now...but that's just my personal opinion on visuals...you sound like you're more interested in practical (although a charlkboard could be just as practical).

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

^^ fair enough.

I'd give the chalkboard paint a try...just make sure to use rollers only (or sponge) because bristled brushes will leave brush strokes. Apply at least 3 coats...more if you can. Like I said, over time and with heavy use it won't work as good...but it's only paint, you could always apply another coat down the road, or live with the worn-in look, which has its appeal.

An aside - there are companies that make a combo chalkboard/magnetic paint. It's extremely thick and a bit tricky to apply, but could be a fun addition if you had notes & things you wanted to stick to the wall.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

we have a small wall in black chalkboard paint, I think it looks good both with and without something written on it.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

I have no experience with using chalkboard paint but I would recommend not to use it on large walls, just on smaller walls or parts of a wall.
                  If I would ever consider it for me, I would paint the shorter wall of a rectangular room grey, not too dark, start with the chalkboard paint at the end of the wall, a 1-1,5 m part, and continue round the corner on the longer wall with a visibly larger part of chalkboard paint. This way you can have two separate areas with different subjects, or one sort of 3D-wall with drawings going round the corner.

Just an idea.

I would prefer the chalkboard paint to some paint for markers, just because of the contrast between the technology that probably is in the room and something old-fashioned.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Personally if I was spending nearly $800, I'd explore other options besides Ikea.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
                      Just wanted to state that those of you telling IKEA wardrobes will fall apart in 6 months are ignorant pricks.
                      I have to agree about the falling apart aspect (not about calling anyone a prick), my wife bought 5 Ikea wardrobes (this one, I believe) for her first apartment about 7-8 years ago, since then they've travelled to another apartment of hers, as well as our first, second and current mutual apartment and they hardly have a scratch on them despite daily use. we changed one door as it was bent, possibly due to transport, but thats it. they certainly haven't broken in 6 months. Ikea is cheap and for the most part can be crappy, but they have certain products that are actually quite well made. their basic module wardrobes and kitchen cabinets for example are quite sturdy. That said, personally I wouldn't buy much else from Ikea than these "basics".

The good thing about these is that they've fit in just fine in all of these apartments that have looked nothing alike, mainly because they are simple cabinets with matte white doors. obviously they are not the most exciting looking pieces of furniture, but they can actually look quite clean and minimal (we have ours without handles/pulls). When we move in a few months, they will most likely go to the kids' room.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• swami
                        • Jul 2008

dont discount IKEA wardrobes and for 800 bucks you arent goign to find anythign even reasonably decent think more like 8grand.

I have this combo installed in a walk in and it has held up exceptionally for the past 5 years ...

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

ugh...those Vitsoe knockoffs are the worst. Yes, I realize the real thing is stupid expensive, but....ugh.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Eternal
                            yeah, sorry lowrey, was not meaning to be rude or anything. Just thought that people who think that needing to spend a premium on everything just to get something decent might have to give things a second try.

Swami, I actually have that one at my parents house. Holding up great, although I'm not really a fan of the design when it comes to the drawers. Guess I wanted it more industrial.
                            No one said you had to spend a premium...we just said we've had bad experiences with Ikea.

I guess I'm biased either way...I just can't stand Ikea. To me they're the H&M of the furniture world, merely stealing others' ideas and making them out of the MDF.

Anyway, if you can get this stuff on sale, it's not awful quality (save for the wood trim, which is):

...more work than a wardrobe, but can look nice if you're tidy and into the open-concept thing.

Comment

• swami
                              • Jul 2008

IKEA furniture is shit agreed, but the wardrobes are amazing bang for buck considering the only other options are 10 times the price.

ETERNAL even the most hardcore gothninja needs a drawer to hide his undies & printed sheep silk sleepwear no

Comment

• sargon97
                                • Jan 2009

^ agree most other things I am finding are 10 times the price or only available in northern europe.

I was thinking about something like this at only 2x the price, but its not really all that big...

Ikea it is I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎