Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squeek
    • Jun 2009

Looking for a light fixture that uses fluorescent tube lights that I can stick into the corner of a room between a bookshelf and a wall. So, preferably something that can be leaned against a wall, but not necessary.

Suggestions?

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I don't think a blob would exactly fit between a shelf and a wall..? if I understoon correctly he is looking for something more or less vertical to put in a corner?

something like this?

that one might be hard to find, but the Nemo Ara is currently produced (a bit pricey though):

or a Classicon Tube, slightly cheaper:

a cheap and possibly cool looking option would be to get a fluorescent industrial/work light and just lean it against the corner or hang it from the wall:

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Squeek
        • Jun 2009

lowrey got what I'm talking about.
        Thanks for the suggestions. I'm now back from vacation, so time to look into some stuff.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sargon97 View Post
          room and board
          someone recommended room and board as being a stand-out from places like crate and barrel, etc..

i ordered a dresser from them online. compared to ikea and c&b, the quality is good, but not great. it's hand assembled/inspected, but the drawer pull/close felt cheap for a $1000 piece..

it's also 4x more expensive than ikea and slightly more expensive than c&b..

i'd go for ikea and reinforce the joints with wood screws..

Comment

• sargon97
            • Jan 2009

I always thought making something in the style of Dan Flavin style would be cool and not that hard. Maybe not a colored work, but one of the white fluorescents.

Originally posted by Squeek View Post
            Looking for a light fixture that uses fluorescent tube lights that I can stick into the corner of a room between a bookshelf and a wall. So, preferably something that can be leaned against a wall, but not necessary.

Suggestions?

Comment

• sargon97
              • Jan 2009

Thats what I did in the end. I found the Pax system rather nice, esp for sub 1k.

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
              someone recommended room and board as being a stand-out from places like crate and barrel, etc..

i ordered a dresser from them online. compared to ikea and c&b, the quality is good, but not great. it's hand assembled/inspected, but the drawer pull/close felt cheap for a $1000 piece..

it's also 4x more expensive than ikea and slightly more expensive than c&b..

i'd go for ikea and reinforce the joints with wood screws..

Comment

• pseudonym
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                I have to agree about the falling apart aspect (not about calling anyone a prick), my wife bought 5 Ikea wardrobes (this one, I believe) for her first apartment about 7-8 years ago, since then they've travelled to another apartment of hers, as well as our first, second and current mutual apartment and they hardly have a scratch on them despite daily use. we changed one door as it was bent, possibly due to transport, but thats it. they certainly haven't broken in 6 months. Ikea is cheap and for the most part can be crappy, but they have certain products that are actually quite well made. their basic module wardrobes and kitchen cabinets for example are quite sturdy. That said, personally I wouldn't buy much else from Ikea than these "basics".

The good thing about these is that they've fit in just fine in all of these apartments that have looked nothing alike, mainly because they are simple cabinets with matte white doors. obviously they are not the most exciting looking pieces of furniture, but they can actually look quite clean and minimal (we have ours without handles/pulls). When we move in a few months, they will most likely go to the kids' room.
                I might add that mirror doors are available as well, which disguise them as wardrobes (or from Ikea for that matter) even more. I no longer have mine, but my 4 'pax' wardrobes made 3 moves over 6 years with me, similar to your experience A. The design is perfect, they were sturdy enough, and when I decided to finally part with them I was able to sell them on Craigslist quite easily!

Comment

• comedyzen
                  • May 2009

Cool site that i foresee myself patronizing. DWR meets Gilt.com

Comment

• graydot
                    • Aug 2009

being from canada i had never heard of room and board. have been looking for a dresser and the hudson steel base caught my eye.

This modern American-made bedroom dresser is crafted from solid wood and features a steel base for extra durability and contemporary style.

love the charcoal stain with natural steel base and knobs. looks pretty stealthy, yet minimalist. unfortunately, being from canada i can't get my hands on it. someone want to proxy it, then drive it across the border?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ lol. why not come get it yourself? say, around September 7. maybe you can go to a party while you are here.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                        • Jul 2011

My bedroom furniture is from Room&Board (including brushed steel bed). I think the quality is good. If you like modern classics it blends with it well.
                        blog

Comment

• graydot
                          • Aug 2009

if only canadian customs didn't care about the dollar value of incoming goods i would be set. kind of hard to take the tags off and wear a dresser. SZ party in early september or am i missing something?

edit: http://www.sz-mag.com/ it all makes sense now.
                          Last edited by graydot; 07-14-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• surver
                            • Oct 2007

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend 2 by Matali Crasset for Made by Meta

... a beautiful mirror...

... that's a hangar on the back...

... imagining it in ebony wood and black calf...

www.madebymeta.com

Comment

• jippos
                              • Mar 2007

Wow! It's a very interesting mirror, but I almost spit coffee out of my mouth: 38000 British pounds!

On a different note, does anyone have any experience with the Atlas as4 wall shelving system? I think it looks really good, but would like to see it in person....
                              ATLAS INDUSTRIES, furniture, design services, as4 modular system, hudson valley, newburgh, brooklyn, interdisciplinary makers

Comment

• kukuku
                                • Oct 2009

Thought I'd ask here for opinions, I need to buy a sofa but i'm broke so I thought maybe a used vintage one would be good for now. How do you like this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ntagesofa.jpg/

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎