• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Thank you. I like quite a bit of Ligne Roset, but I know what you are saying. You know what's Euro - Roche Bobois. I just don't get it.
    Roche Bobois scares me...we have a huge showroom here...they euro trash eat it up.

Ligne Roset has been getting much better lately, but it had quite a run of awful stuff for a while there...which is why I was scared when you said the sofa was an older model. I really like the line the Bouroullec (sp?) bros did for them a few years back. They were all the rage in the 90's...as French furniture was all the rage then given the popularity of Starck and Putman, etc. Much of the 90's is hopefully forgotten...scary stuffs.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• bestial
      • Jun 2008

The sofa looks great Faust, sleek and minimalistic — I think the back cushion is pretty clever.

I've read the discussion and wanted to comment earlier but never did. Dane, I understand your point of view of the sofa being the most important thing. I however have never really liked sofas, mostly due to prices and the hard work of finding one you really like — and the size of it! Often when I visit people they either have a sofa that's too small to fit 2-3 people comfortably, or they have turned their giant living room which had so much potential into a great big sea of one sofa with seats for 6-7 people with one or two big chaises. :)

Lounge chairs and lights are much easier, mainly cause of the the size and prices (with some flexibility).

But in the end, I always end up in that god damn sofa.

Comment

• surver
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        Roche Bobois scares me...we have a huge showroom here...they euro trash eat it up.

Ligne Roset has been getting much better lately, but it had quite a run of awful stuff for a while there...which is why I was scared when you said the sofa was an older model. I really like the line the Bouroullec (sp?) bros did for them a few years back. They were all the rage in the 90's...as French furniture was all the rage then given the popularity of Starck and Putman, etc. Much of the 90's is hopefully forgotten...scary stuffs.
        euro-trash galore:

ipe cavalli / visionnaire

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bestial View Post
          I've read the discussion and wanted to comment earlier but never did. Dane, I understand your point of view of the sofa being the most important thing. I however have never really liked sofas, mostly due to prices and the hard work of finding one you really like — and the size of it! Often when I visit people they either have a sofa that's too small to fit 2-3 people comfortably, or they have turned their giant living room which had so much potential into a great big sea of one sofa with seats for 6-7 people with one or two big chaises. :)

Lounge chairs and lights are much easier, mainly cause of the the size and prices (with some flexibility).

But in the end, I always end up in that god damn sofa.
          haha, my thoughts exactly. I rarely see a sofa I like, and even then its something inpractical or something that doesn't fit into our apartment. I like leather sofas but I doubt its as comfortable to spend time on as a fabric covered one. colours are equally challenging. a corner sofa can be convenient and cozy but they often look kind of meh.

and I have exactly the problem you described of turning the whole living room into a couch - we have a 4x2 meter bohemot of a sofa that is sectional, but there really isn't a good way to alter the layout without it looking awkward. it was ok in our previous apartment, but now that we moved I'm a bit unsure. its also off-white which is just great with a kid, and upholstering it which I've thought about would probably cost an arm and a leg.

I usually dislike corbusier (I don't like the classic proportions), but the LC3 in a sofa form is something I like. but its still corbusier, ie bulky, pricey and somewhat boring.

One couch that I kind of like and considered at some point is the Square by Arflex, it has a very classic feel to it but its not too old fashioned. it looks heavy but not too bulky. its not cheap, but not 10k either.

I can appreciate some classic mid-mod designs, Wegner, Wanscher etc, but its not exactly my style

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• bestial
            • Jun 2008

Hear hear. I ordered my sofa before I even got the keys to my apartment, which of course ended up with it being bigger then I wanted. But there's really no return right on sofas, when you've choosen fabrics etc.

Leather couches are so sweaty to sit in, don't really look good when they're new, and takes time to break in. But they really can look great when they are!

Last edited by bestial; 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

^ is that your place?? :-O
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• bestial
                • Jun 2008

Haha, figured I should've revealed my source. No, it's not my place (I don't have such a modestly used PK22 ) — it's from a blog by a hipster real estate firm in Sweden. Just liked how the Kjaerholm sofa looked.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                  Haha, figured I should've revealed my source. No, it's not my place (I don't have such a modestly used PK22 ) — it's from a blog by a hipster real estate firm in Sweden. Just liked how the Kjaerholm sofa looked.
                  I was about to admit jealousy...which I don't often feel. I've coveted that sofa for so long now...the price is insane though new, and unless in Scandinavia, used models are even more.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

I like the sofa (was thinking about including it in my short list above), but wouldn't consider it for my living room. fits better in some more or less public space imo.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

I think it's the 2 centre legs that give it that look...but it's so comfortable!

Comment

• bestial
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        I like the sofa (was thinking about including it in my short list above), but wouldn't consider it for my living room. fits better in some more or less public space imo.
                        Exactly, as I think many of the 50's sofas do, and of course in the homes of people totally grasping that era. But they often feel too airy for my taste.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

I think his furniture looks best in a lived-in setting...that way you avoid the waiting-room feel. Also, his intention were modularity, so that you could change the length of the sofa by adding the chair, etc.

Comment

• bestial
                            • Jun 2008

I think that picture helps me prove my point (and also what I think lowrey meant) it works better in this rustic setting, overly dramatic of course, then in the minimalistic white scandinavian setting on the picture I posted.

But again, I wouldn't say no if anyone gave it to me.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Agreed, looks great in the latter shot

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Sorry, fellas - I think leather belongs on jackets and boots.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎