• Show
Clear All
  • lazyguru
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    Saw The White Ribbon by Haneke
    Is a creepy evil film , brilliant!

So does anyone care to give their SPOILER take on TAKE SHELTER

I am not sure I have a single set idea of the ending or the movie as whole. Is he mental or is he a prophet?

Comment

• Xhale12
      • Jan 2012

What did you guys think of the avengers?

Just saw it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Joss Wheadon did a fantastic job.

Comment

• Johngd
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post

I am not sure I have a single set idea of the ending or the movie as whole. Is he mental or is he a prophet?
        Prophet he is

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Saw The White Ribbon by Haneke yesterday... Was the first movie I watched by him and a really good one as well. But also, quite intense and disturbing. Highly recommended!
          Thanks for reminding me! Put it in my Netflix queue.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• shah
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post

i didn't enjoy it at all, it was an exercise in scenic bokeh. Chastain seemed to have the same nervous wreck role as in Tree of Life which was equally bad in my opinion. By the end I didn't care what he was.

Comment

• MoFiya
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Thanks for reminding me! Put it in my Netflix queue.
              No problem - had it on my list for way too long as well. Let me know what you think after you've seen it...
              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

^tree of life was one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my entire life. i used to sing malick praises, but this movie was such a bad movie, the malick films i once did like have dropped drastically in my great films list.

Comment

• underdog
                  • Aug 2009

I too was dreadfully disappointed in Tree of Life. For someone who is best at displaying man and nature / nature and man it was surprisingly a film mostly in close up.

Regardless of how you feel about the film, here is a great article on the nature of film vs. digital projection with Tree of Life as the case in point -

(The Tree of Life is now available on DVD and 3-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy.) The Landmark Sunshine is showing The Tree of Life in several theaters. On their biggest screen (theater #1) it plays digitally; in one of the smaller theaters upstairs (#5) it plays on a film print. There are

Comment

• klangspiel
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                    So the Sydney Film Festival's coming and and there are a few films I plan on watching, including Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Once Upon a Time in Anatolia.
                    you're in for a treat. it's one of ceylan's finest. i'd even go so far as to say it's his best work to date - even better than distant (uzak) which i rate very highly. the overall style and sensibility of the film tend to reflect a very old school auteur temperament that isn't far off from a tarkovsky or an ozu - pensive, meditative, measured, elliptical, and expansive. what i love most about the film is the way the narrative organically unravels itself from the veneer of an unassuming "crime drama" to that of a gradual revealment of a much broader and complex examination of a particular (or perhaps, the) turkish condition in all its difficult and glorious natural, psychological and cultural landscapes. it also contains one of the best night scenes ever committed to celluloid. i'm rather stoked that it's receiving a limited run at the local cinema next month. would love to revisit it a few times over.

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                    Anyone seen Alexander Sokurov's Faust - worth watching?
                    it's definitely one of his best out of all his post-2000 output. it's also a bit of a departure mainly due to the unrelenting torrent of chatter in the film, which is almost unbecoming of sokurov, as it were, but oddly this does achieve a very hypnotic effect that is typical of his films. aesthetically it's hardly as impressionistic as some of his previous films. nevertheless, everything else about the film is trademark sokurov - gorgeous imagery, meticulous attention to detail, masterful formalist executions, subtle moments of surreality, etc. etc..

Saw The White Ribbon by Haneke yesterday... Was the first movie I watched by him and a really good one as well. But also, quite intense and disturbing. Highly recommended!
                    white ribbon is an amazing film. one of the greatest in recent times. haneke has a new film premiering at this year's cannes which actually kicks off today. one of many highly anticipated films of 2012.

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

So, what's good at Cannes? (klangspiel?)
                      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• wedjat
                        • Jan 2011

WRONG COPS Chapter One

Comment

• neodym
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Xhale12 View Post
                          What did you guys think of the avengers?

Just saw it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. Joss Wheadon did a fantastic job.
                          Yeah I agree, maybe I'll try watching Thor or Captain America now.

So happy I saw this, amazing story:

Solaris 1972

Gonna have to check out the other books of the author who wrote the novel of which the movie is based upon.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Cosmopolis=piece of shit.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Not DeLillos strongest book either.

Any of these worth watching (bonus, free bagels for the press)?

Fri, Jun 1 10:30am Sleepwalk With Me (M. Birbiglia) 90min 15 minute break 12:15pm Welcome to Pine Hill (K. Miller) 81min Mon, Jun 4 10:30am Radio Unnameable (P. Lovelace & J. Wolfson) 91min 15 minute break 12:15pm Tchoupitoulas (B. Ross & T. Ross) 80min 20 minute break 2:00pm The Comedy (R. Alverson) 96min Tue, Jun 5 10:30am Francine (B.M. Cassidy & M. Shatzky) 74min 15 minute break 12:20pm The Imposter (B. Layton) 95min Wed, Jun 6 10:30am Walk Away Renée (J. Caouette) 88min 15 minute break 12:15pm Compliance (C. Zobel) 90min _______ Wed, May 30 4:00pm Beasts of the Southern Wild (B. Zeitlin) 91min
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• underdog
                                • Aug 2009

The Comedy and Beasts of the Southern Wild are def worth checking out!

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Not DeLillos strongest book either.

Any of these worth watching (bonus, free bagels for the press)?

Fri, Jun 1 10:30am Sleepwalk With Me (M. Birbiglia) 90min 15 minute break 12:15pm Welcome to Pine Hill (K. Miller) 81min Mon, Jun 4 10:30am Radio Unnameable (P. Lovelace & J. Wolfson) 91min 15 minute break 12:15pm Tchoupitoulas (B. Ross & T. Ross) 80min 20 minute break 2:00pm The Comedy (R. Alverson) 96min Tue, Jun 5 10:30am Francine (B.M. Cassidy & M. Shatzky) 74min 15 minute break 12:20pm The Imposter (B. Layton) 95min Wed, Jun 6 10:30am Walk Away Renée (J. Caouette) 88min 15 minute break 12:15pm Compliance (C. Zobel) 90min _______ Wed, May 30 4:00pm Beasts of the Southern Wild (B. Zeitlin) 91min

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎