X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

i started a thread on these on sufu. they are the ultimate victim showpiece. appalling IMO.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

as much as i am a fan of rick i have to agree that this season's combat boot with the doc marten-style reverse welt is a flop. it's way too close to the doc marten and a cheap homage if that's what it's intended to be. the boots i have are the crepe sole version from last season. they have some sizes left on eluxury. much better imo.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• tangerine
        • Dec 2006

I agree that the 14-hole boots are clearly inspired by Doc Martens.

I also agree that at $1400 US, they are overpriced.

Having worn Doc Martens from the late 80s to mid-90s, though, I will not agree that there is no difference. The Rick Owens tribute is a far better made and more comfortable boot in every respect.

You can hate on them if you like but the quality is very good.

kunk, I can't find your thread on sufu but I'd like to read it.

AKA, I still want the crepe-soled combat boots... agree they are the more classic piece.

As far as originality goes, though, I don't see how the black combat boots are any more original than the Doc Martens-inspired ones; they are both takes on classics. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
        Last edited by tangerine; 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM. Reason: more
        the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

i think it was called "is this a joke" in superfashion

i find docs to be comfortable after about 100 wearings. i usually put a nike air max insole in there every year.

Comment

• tangerine
            • Dec 2006

kunk, good memory, that's it, thanks.

The black ones are definitely not as interesting as the brown (dust?) split-leather ones, I agree.

Docs were great up until mad cow disease killed UK leather industry and the manufacturing left the UK.
            the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tangerine View Post
              I agree that the 14-hole boots are clearly inspired by Doc Martens.

I also agree that at $1400 US, they are overpriced.

Having worn Doc Martens from the late 80s to mid-90s, though, I will not agree that there is no difference. The Rick Owens tribute is a far better made and more comfortable boot in every respect.

You can hate on them if you like but the quality is very good.

kunk, I can't find your thread on sufu but I'd like to read it.

AKA, I still want the crepe-soled combat boots... agree they are the more classic piece.

As far as originality goes, though, I don't see how the black combat boots are any more original than the Doc Martens-inspired ones; they are both takes on classics. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
              Rick is ridiculously overpriced this season - he is clearly capitalizing on his fame. Let's see - $3,300 leather, $400 tees, $2,300 blazers - get the fuck outta here....
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

AA tees with the scooped neck in xxl do the trick in terms of look if not quality for $9 with my wholesale account. will have to do.

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

i have a pair of the new monochrome ones that are looking good as they are taking a beating. my 16-year old 14 hole steel toe boots look great and have been through the ringer and are made in the UK.

Originally posted by tangerine View Post
                  kunk, good memory, that's it, thanks.

The black ones are definitely not as interesting as the brown (dust?) split-leather ones, I agree.

Docs were great up until mad cow disease killed UK leather industry and the manufacturing left the UK.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                    • Nov 2007

if any of you guys are in the market for a uk-manufactured work boot look here:

With over 400 styles of Solovairs, Grinders, Loakes, original George Cox Creepers, Dr Martens and more, we have an unrivalled collection of boots, shoes and creepers. Many of the styles we carry are hand made here in the UK for our shop only.

the solovair boots are made in the original doc marten factory to the same specs and standards as the original dms.
                    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Davie
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                      if any of you guys are in the market for a uk-manufactured work boot look here:

With over 400 styles of Solovairs, Grinders, Loakes, original George Cox Creepers, Dr Martens and more, we have an unrivalled collection of boots, shoes and creepers. Many of the styles we carry are hand made here in the UK for our shop only.

the solovair boots are made in the original doc marten factory to the same specs and standards as the original dms.
                      Zappos also have the UK made version.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Just got my sleeping-bag-with-a-strap Exploder jacket in the mail today - fucking amazing. A bit too big maybe (sort of the whole point of the piece, though, so it looks pretty great anyway) but if anyone has an XS they'd be interested in trading for a S let me know anyway.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

good stuff. thanks aka. i had a pair of grinders once.

wonder why no oxbloods anymore?

Comment

• diamonds
                            • Dec 2006

they look like military boots/doc martens to me... i ASSUME thats the intent coming from rick owens and his history...

whoa.. i'm a bit late

Comment

• jcotteri
                              • Jun 2008

just a touch story of my life
                              WTB: This

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                                Just got my sleeping-bag-with-a-strap Exploder jacket in the mail today - fucking amazing. A bit too big maybe (sort of the whole point of the piece, though, so it looks pretty great anyway) but if anyone has an XS they'd be interested in trading for a S let me know anyway.
                                Man, did someone else on here have one of the sleeping bag Exploder jackets? It's seriously a different experience of wearing clothing. It literally feels like constantly being in a home-away-from-home the way it wraps you up in a "down comforter"-esque environment (that is literally almost identical to the one on my bed) and you can just stuff everything in the enormous pockets. I could live in this thing.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎