Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

the unstable cotton tees are called unstable for that reason. they are guaranteed to start unravelling and developing holes. i just bought one that arrived with a hole already in it though which kinda sucked.

but beyond that i'm also questioning the quality. one thing i used to love about rick was the use of luxe fabrics and materials with grungy rockstar and gym/sportswear inspired pieces. juxtaposition. and it helped explain the price tag on that $800 pair of cotton gym shorts. but i dunno it hasn't seemed as nice lately. it does vary by piece. there are still some super soft knits and things out there but some of the wool trousers felt super thin and cheapy and the sneakers are also made with a much cheaper feeling leather than before. the tees also feel like a cheaper cotton than before. rick loses his magic if the stuff feels cheap. the only thing that is still reliably good is the leather.

this is just my kneejerk reaction to my limited experience...

and rick i hope you or your people read this thread. the thing i would be most concerned about as a designer would be my reputation for quality. there is nothing more embarrassing than being known as cheap. i'd think that would drive rick up a wall...
    Last edited by cjbreed; 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• metin
      • Dec 2008

I find the plusher knits (the scarves and some of the sweaters) are still really up there in terms of quality. The over-sized shawls for this fall all have a great feel to them and don't seem flimsy or anything. I haven't been crazy about some of the DRKSHDW jackets lately, but the various tees have felt pretty much to same to me for the past couple of seasons.

Comment

• miserableman
        • Dec 2009

Anyone know what season this jacket is from, or have any other info on it?

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

Last edited by kunk75; 09-21-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• i bought the thick alpaca knit thinking it wouldn't snag or pull like all the finer merino and cashmere stuff would. and saying that bursting seams is part of the rock esthaetic, i dont see why the rock style has become so big. who wants stuff that is BROKEN. old, i could get, but BROKEN.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

So, now that everyone and their mother has knocked off Rick, are wrap cardigans done? Seriously, they have been turned into kitsch in the most direct Greenbergerian sense - the mass production industry took all the soul out of them (the rich fabrics, the consideration of the weight and wrap, the length, the tactile, cacoonish feeling) and left the debased, despicable form, the droopy ends pathetically hanging off like slabs of lard. I see all this ugly versions of it all over the place. Where do these fat suburban girl that walk on Broadway between Canal and Houston get them from - did H&M already make them or American Apparel?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• top shop, H&M, salt, zadig & voltaire, ZARA, gina tricot,

the list goes on. ive seen them everywhere. but never as nice as ricks or julius's.

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  So, now that everyone and their mother has knocked off Rick, are wrap cardigans done? Seriously, they have been turned into kitsch in the most direct Greenbergerian sense - the mass production industry took all the soul out of them (the rich fabrics, the consideration of the weight and wrap, the length, the tactile, cacoonish feeling) and left the debased, despicable form, the droopy ends pathetically hanging off like slabs of lard. I see all this ugly versions of it all over the place. Where do these fat suburban girl that walk on Broadway between Canal and Houston get them from - did H&M already make them or American Apparel?
                  Suburban women and their daughters have been wearing them for years. I saw them long before I had ever heard of Rick Owens or StyleZeitgeist. I suppose it's an easy way for companies to make profit, with the simple construction of the piece. It's just a shawl with sleeves.

For me they're not done. I like the one I have, and I think I'll continue wearing it for a long time. I'm fairly sure I'll get others as well. Additionally, I don't see RO or Julius stopping production any time soon because of those fat suburban girls .

Btw, Heirloom, you forgot Target!
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

I've seen mothers in those things for years - probably why the Rick / Julius versions always look strange to me. Grown men in sweaters I had assumed were only for hiding middle-age weight gain for mothers who coffee at Bloomingdales while the kids are at school (and I'd seen a few in some really gorgeous fabrics as well but I'm sure they were just as expensive as the Rick / Julius versions and not the ones from H&M et all...)
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

Pisses me off when I'm wearing the same outfit as some 16 year old girl on the bus.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

^It probably doesn't piss off the 16 year-old girl.
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                          • Jan 2010

The are definitely not done, well, not knee length ones. I've seen some that drape like shit, I think the key to it is having a heavier fabric. It is basically a square with 2 sleeves.
                          MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Lane
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                            Pisses me off when I'm wearing the same outfit as some 16 year old girl on the bus.
                            I'm sorry but this made me laugh hard.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

I know I know ... no celebs, but I had to

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I don't know who that is, but it ain't Heirloom...
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎