Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

thanks for posting. this was different than the usual interviews.

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Archival image from 1860's China, taken by Herbert Elgar Hobson.

Had to do a double-take at the footwear; totally reminds me of Rick!

sain't

Comment

• etgreg
        • Jan 2011

AKUTSU_MAYA thanks for the link

This is one of the better RO interview I've read. Interesting to read about his work relationship with Michele and being approached by big conglomerates.

interest1

Double-Take indeed!

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

So, I went to the Chrome Hearts flagship in L.A. last week and I must say the women's RO footwear with the CH accents is pretty awesome. I think it's tastefully done. Overpriced, obviously, but if I was a female rock star, I'd do it. There was a gorgeous shade of grey wedge and the nubuck combats. Yum.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

You did go in there sober, right?

While there, did you happen to spy those ketchup & mustard squirties?
            sain't

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
              You did go in there sober, right?

While there, did you happen to spy those ketchup & mustard squirties?
              Very sober! No ketchup, but a nice handsaw!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Finally, an article worth reading amidst all the bullshit that's been written lately. Which goes to show that it takes a good writer to do one.

The American fashion designer is creating biblical epics on the grandest of scales and his business is entirely independent which, he tells Alexander Fury, means absolute creative freedom

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

Rick Owens seriously needs to design a collection inspired by this 10th/11th century Japanese court lady's pillow book / diary:

"Written by the court gentlewoman Sei Shonagon, ostensibly for her own amusement, The Pillow Book offers a fascinating exploration of life among the nobility at the height of the Heian period, describing the exquisite pleasures of a confined world in which poetry, love, fashion, and whim dominated, while harsh reality was kept firmly at a distance. Moving elegantly across a wide range of themes including nature, society, and her own flirtations, Sei Shonagon provides a witty and intimate window on a woman's life at court in classical Japan."
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

Did anyone ever post the interview from BUTT Magazine?

Don't recall seeing it here, but then, I often miss things. Considering the man has yet to give
                    a bad interview, and this one being extra cheeky (sorry), I'll assume it can't hurt.

by Gert Jonkers

Gert: I’m going to record this on my phone.
                    Rick: Isn’t the iPhone the most amazing thing?

It is.
                    Did it take you a while to feel comfortable with it?

Yes. I’m still figuring it out.
                    What do you think of the way it completes words for you when you’re typing?

I switched that function off immediately – it drove me nuts. Do you use it?
                    I haven’t switched mine off. It kind of amuses me. Yesterday it refused to spell buttplug. It came up with all these suggestions because it didn’t want to spell buttplug.

Why were you typing buttplug?
                    That is what we named a new piece of furniture. It’s a bench and we’re calling it the Buttplug Bench, because it has these legs that look like they impale into it. I don’t think it will stick, but it’s our working title.

How familiar are you with buttplugs?
                    Do you want to see my collection?

I’d love to.
                    Ha, well, I don’t have one. Although I did buy a beautiful buttplug for a client once – a rubber buttplug with a real horse tail attached to it. It was pretty fantastic but not really practical, because it’s not the right place to put a tail, really.

The tail hangs a little too low.
                    Yes. The angle isn’t as graceful as it could be. But I guess you have to make do; you just have to pose right. It’s all in the pose.

I was wondering if a lot of your designs are rooted in fetishism.
                    I love fetishes. I’ve been out of circulation, so I don’t know what kids do these days, but when I was young there was a pretty big leather community in Los Angeles. I’m a little bit too pragmatic to let myself get involved in the fantasy of those things, but I loved the ceremony and the pageantry and the creepiness of being in a dark leather bar at four in the morning with music blasting and guys just standing there holding a beer, staring in front of them and doing nothing, everyone waiting for something to happen. That tension, that weirdness, the creepiness and that desperation, I loved it. It’s not that I could participate genuinely, just because I didn’t believe in that whole uniform thing. Is that culture still around? I wonder if the kids still need that kind of thing. I mean: it was born out of shame and…shame, wasn’t it? That was the kernel of the whole bondage discipline: oppression, a master/slave kind of thing.

conversation continues HERE
                    sain't

Comment

• nicelynice
                      • Oct 2009

Thanks for the link to that fantastic interview, must have missed it the first time around. Can we please get the statue of Rick pissing on people at Pitti back? It's needed now more than ever.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Yes. The angle isn’t as graceful as it could be.

also

A diffusion line called Saturnino.
                        Oh god, could you imagine?
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

^ haha, I know. I started the interview laughing and kept laughing straight through.

The last 2 lines it closes with are priceless.
                          sain't

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

"cheeky" .
                            butt magazine? how do you find this stuff??? what are you googling these days, pray tell?
                            i wasnt quite prepared to start my morning with the visual of a buttplug but his honesty makes it worthwhile.

i remember [hearing about] the same scene in ny back in the day on the west side...
                            Last edited by rider; 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

"The first thing that they do is piss on her face. And I thought: ‘Oh good, everything is going to be fine.’ "

Winner

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by rider View Post
                                "cheeky" .
                                butt magazine? how do you find this stuff??? what are you googling these days, pray tell?
                                i wasnt quite prepared to start my morning with the visual of a buttplug but his honesty makes it worthwhile.

i remember [hearing about] the same scene in ny back in the day on the west side...
                                buttplugs have been all the rage on social media the past few days, what with that artist guy in paris and all. it's 'normal' now...

funny how rick is all pro-submission in this article, and how he was all anti-bondage in another one a while back. he's a lovely guy but sometimes pretty random in his stated beliefs at a particular moment in time. not to mention how many earlier taboos have been broken, such as not making less-than-sandwich-sized pockets in leathers, and not making jewelry for men, and not making bags, and so on ad infinitum. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎