X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

^i don't think it's a niche, it's a fantasy
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

it's a fantasy but also a highly conscious projection of self-image...the idea of the man who knows how to work layers, cuts and fabrics and move in perfect sync with the silhouette of his garments but often outwardly, openly rejects the idea of having any thoughtful or highly engaged contemplation over how he gets dressed in the morning... i once found this attitude to be an appealing stance to adopt but am beginning to realize that the person who straight up admits to loving their clothes and not being ashamed of it is the more honest way to go...
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Seventh
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
        ^i don't think it's a niche, it's a fantasy

I think ya'll are missing the point a little about VB. I don't see her clothes as conventional or preppy at all. They are much more layered in the romance of history, texture and memory. It is about seduction and fantasy, the man with his whisky, suit and fire is not based in the practical, but in the luxury of the sensation. The quote seems to me to be much more about not appearing to try to hard, the ideal of a man that who is natural in his clothes.

I would personally love some of her earlier men's clothes, but haven't had much of an opportunity to try them on.

What about the sensuality (and sexuality) of her work (Laura Palmer anyone?) I find her clothes for women particularly seductive. It is restrained, but it seems to contain many secrets.

Comment

• merkuri
          • Sep 2009

well, twin peaks got cancelled too. artistic synergy?

Comment

• Seventh
            • Dec 2006

/\ Um... yeah whatever.

Comment

• mesh
              • Dec 2006

I couldn't agree with her more, I guess that's what has always drawn me to her. I personally cannot stand the notion of fashion but I do love nice clothes. I don't necessarily equate them to one another. I feel very fortunate to have quite a bit from her collections.

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Seventh View Post

I think ya'll are missing the point a little about VB. I don't see her clothes as conventional or preppy at all. They are much more layered in the romance of history, texture and memory. It is about seduction and fantasy, the man with his whisky, suit and fire is not based in the practical, but in the luxury of the sensation. The quote seems to me to be much more about not appearing to try to hard, the ideal of a man that who is natural in his clothes.

I would personally love some of her earlier men's clothes, but haven't had much of an opportunity to try them on.

What about the sensuality (and sexuality) of her work (Laura Palmer anyone?) I find her clothes for women particularly seductive. It is restrained, but it seems to contain many secrets.
                aha, i was waiting for you, i knew you'd understand.
                yes, the sens/sexuality and Laura Palmer....she also has some more explicitly erotic influences--emmanuelle, l'histoire d'o.

secrets/layers/histories/unconscious memories...

more pics on the way....
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

A/W 2003-04
                  a personal favourite

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

i will never stop looking for this coat

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Comment

• DRRRK
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by laika View Post
                        A/W 2003-04
                        a personal favourite
                        The clothes, the models, the pictures ... Everything seems on a different level. I'm rather new to see clothing as an art form and can say, that I have never seen anything like this before.

Comment

• slalom
                          • Sep 2009

her early women's collections from 98-99 look like they were designed alongside raf. the long silhouettes and the black capes, cloaks, fishnet knit sweaters, slim turtlenecks

raf shoulda threw her a bone and let her design jil women's. he would've gotten some sex and sense in what the hell he's designing now

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

if i understand correctly what you mean by sex, i think they already did that.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lumina
                              • Dec 2009

waw, I love that collection. The coat is indeed gorgeous (and the other one too). Hope you'll find it someday !

Comment

• Real Real
                                • Feb 2007

I should have been an ideal customer for VB, and I liked how it looked - but the very few times I was able to handle men's VB, I was disappointed by the feel of the fabrics, and there were details in the construction I expected to see, but didn't. It was sort of incongruous, as if the clothing was about projecting the image of beautiful fabrics and detailing, not about providing the reality. I've only seen a few pieces, though - I wish I had been able to see more of it in person.

Adam Kimmel hits some of the same notes as VB's menswear, but Kimmel's clothing really is beautifully made, and the fabrics genuinely are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎