• Show
Clear All
  • Seventh
    • Dec 2006

Dear Lord...

Comment

• Seventh
      • Dec 2006

I don't really see the similarity between Adam Kimmel and VB. Agreed that Kimmel's clothing is well made, but it rooted in fantasy of traditional working class American style. In my mind, Branquinho is operates in the fantasy of sophisticated continental Europe.

VB --> Leather --> Whisky/Cognac --> Fire --> 4 Hours of pasionate lovemaking.

Kimmel --> Plaid --> Beer --> Sofa --> Unfulfilled expectation.

Comment

• Seventh
        • Dec 2006

I find myself more depressed that Branquinho is over than Yohji's (sorta) demise. With Yohji I was content with the large body of work he produced over a long career. There was so much more I wanted to see from VB...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Seventh View Post
          I don't really see the similarity between Adam Kimmel and VB. Agreed that Kimmel's clothing is well made, but it rooted in fantasy of traditional working class American style. In my mind, Branquinho is operates in the fantasy of sophisticated continental Europe.

VB --> Leather --> Whisky/Cognac --> Fire --> 4 Hours of pasionate lovemaking.

Kimmel --> Plaid --> Beer --> Sofa --> Unfulfilled expectation.

Hahaha, bingo!!!

But what is it that you wanted to see from VB? It seems like she had a very defined style.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Hahaha, bingo!!!

But what is it that you wanted to see from VB?
            It seems like she had a very defined style.
            I simply wanted to see what she would do next .

Yes, she has a very clear vision and the changes from year to year were subtle. But much in the way you love Ann D for the slow evolution of her work, I was still intrigued about what would come up with each year.

With Yohji, perhaps there is enough of his past work to explore. With VB, I feel like there are so many future possibilities that I will not get to see.

Also I felt a strong connection and attraction to the world that she created through the clothes. The sensuality and era that she evokes: unhurried, decadent, slightly worn, slightly rough, amazing color palette in the minor tones. There is no working designer that has a similar resonance. I will really miss it .

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

You Baudelaire you!!!

I understand what you are saying. I don't feel particularly bad about Yohji either. He had an illustrious career, and he is a wealthy man. Time to make room for a new generation.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                • Dec 2006

Hmmm... Maybe... I do like my romantic decadence a little grimey.

I would love Yohji to continue and actually liked some of his later collections a lot (A/W 06/07 was amazing). But, as you said, he has already had a really full career.

I am not as sold on the new generation, yet...
                Last edited by Seventh; 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Gotta give 'em a chance, Seventh! :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                    • Dec 2006

Humph... I just want my damn fire and cognac.
                    Last edited by Seventh; 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Hahaha, I know. I too want the universe to stop banging down my fucking door, dammit.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                        • Dec 2006

Amen.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Hahaha, I know. I too want the universe to stop banging down my fucking door, dammit.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

why do i feel like i missed something important???

I really love reading your posts in this thread, Seventh,
                          I am feeling lamentably inarticulate myself and
                          they are so right on....

More stuff soon.
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Seventh
                            • Dec 2006

Thanks Laika, I always look forward to your thoughts. (where is the flower smilie?)
                            Drinking cognac tonight for VB, so I am working on expanding my inarticulatenessness.

Comment

• mesh
                              • Dec 2006

Seems odd but everytime we project veronique in a positive light people have to shit it up. Discussing these things are fine but nor is it the time or the thread to do so.

To me, her clothes are romantic yet masculine without the frivolity of many designers I do not care for. They're luxurious but somehow grounded without that un-wearability quotient of say ysl or lanvin in every day life. Seventh summed it up nicely in his post so I don't care to expand any further really.

Comment

• Seventh
                                • Dec 2006

Don't stress Mesh, fuck 'em if they don't get it.

You mentioned that you have a fair amount of her men's collections, any chance you might post some pictures?

Really like what you said about the wearibility and luxury of her clothes.

I have been have been haunted by the two photos that I highlighted on the previous page, I have been trying to figure it out how to describe it in words... working on it...

Originally posted by mesh View Post
                                To me, her clothes are romantic yet masculine without the frivolity of many designers I do not care for. They're luxurious but somehow grounded without that un-wearability quotient of say ysl or lanvin in every day life.
                                Last edited by Seventh; 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎