• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: sample sales

/\ this one blows as history shows.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

^[:(] So is it just boring stuff, or what? I really loved some of the TSE stuff at barney's this season, but it's way out of my league at retail.

Do you really want to go to Y-3? [66]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

^[:(] So is it just boring stuff, or what? I really loved some of the TSE stuff at barney's this season, but it's way out of my league at retail.

[/quote]

I think TSE in general is absolutely not worth the money. Even if you get a generic sweater for $250 at the sample sale, will it be that much better then a $150 one from JCrew?

Thinking about the Y-3, mostly for Mrs. Faust rather then myself.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• May 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

I think TSE in general is absolutely not worth the money. Even if you get a generic sweater for $250 at the sample sale, will it be that much better then a $150 one from JCrew?

[/quote]

I went to the Y3 sale last year and found nothing. Worth going again though since there are a few great things in the collection each year

Comment

• katie
            • Nov 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

About TSE, I think it depends on how much of a details person you are. I find that the TSE stuff fuzzes less over time, has a tighter weave to hold in more heat, and retains its shape better. But the JCrew stuff is perfectly fine, and you can afford to buy more things.

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="katie"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

About TSE, I think it depends on how much of a details person you are. I find that the TSE stuff fuzzes less over time, has a tighter weave to hold in more heat, and retains its shape better. But the JCrew stuff is perfectly fine, and you can afford to buy more things.

[/quote]

Thanks for the input, Faust and Katie.

I was hoping to find some of the stuff that Tess Giberson designed, not just the hoodies and crewnecks that they sell on bluefly. [^o)] Is the sale mostly basics, does anyone know?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

That's what I heard, Laika, although I never went. Firms like these will always produce a crapload of basics for those WASP Christmas presents. Same goes for Loro Piana... which incidentally uses the same mills as JCrew... [83]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                  • Mar 2007

Mrs. Gusterson found a number of things last sale, well priced and not the standard that make up the bulk of the sale. However, it was a zoo there and there was a lot to sift through to find a few things - as always. I also really like the JCrew (Loro Piana wool) cashmere sweaters.

Comment

• unmetro
                    • Sep 2006

from what I've seen in the past....there are some interesting design choices, tho nothing too avant-garde....well constructed and functional...mainly the likes of hoodies, tees, bags, jackets, trainers and such.

and of course going the last day will result in deeper discounts.

btw...also in the past the showroom/sale was located at 599 Broadway (next to HSBC toward Houston) on the 3rd Floor...so if necessary check there.

Comment

• May 2007

[quote user="unmetro"]

from what I've seen in the past....there are some interesting design choices, tho nothing too avant-garde....well constructed and functional...mainly the likes of hoodies, tees, bags, jackets, trainers and such.

and of course going the last day will result in deeper discounts.

btw...also in the past the showroom/sale was located at 599 Broadway (next to HSBC toward Houston) on the 3rd Floor...so if necessary check there.

[/quote]

It's at 610 broadway 3rd floor, same building as the Adidas store, but the entrance is on the side on houston street.

Decent sale, a lot of basic Y3 stuff, the shoes were all pretty bad, though I picked up a cashmere y3 scarf that was very long with black on black stripes for $100. They were still bringing a few things out at 11am and are going to be restocking in a few days.

Comment

• unmetro
                        • Sep 2006

11/30?12/3
                        Rogan?s men?s and women?s clothes are going on sale, with prices from $20 for tees to $150 for dresses. 91 Franklin St., nr. Church St. (646-827-7554); noon?8.

source: http://nymag.com/shopping/articles/sb/

Comment

• unmetro
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="unmetro"]

What: Y-3 Sample Sale
                          Why: Men?s and Women?s
                          apparel, footwear, accessories?All major credit cards
                          accepted
                          When: Wednesday, November 28th to Friday, November
                          30th @ 10am - 7pm; Saturday, December 1st & Sunday, December 2nd @ 11am -
                          6pm
                          Where: Adidas NY Showroom, 610 Broadway, 3rd Floor

source: http://www.freshnessmag.com/v4/2007/...-28th-dec-2nd/
                          [/quote]

bunch o' crap...not worth the bother....

Comment

• bakla
                            • Oct 2006

A few years back, Rafe New York was one of the first (if not the first) stores to import NDC shoes for men into the US. However, a women's handbag store isn't necessarily going to be a destination for men in search of edgy footwear, and they barely sold at the store. After closing their retail store in NoHo, all stocks were sent to the warehouse, and recently a size run of NDC Jules demi boots were discovered. I went to get a pair as a Christmas gift for a friend and took pictures to post here, because I got these washed leather styles as my first ever NDCs years ago, and I still get stopped and complimented for them. They're supposed to be going for either $100 or $150 a pair (I did some copywriting for them and got them as part of an Xchange deal) down from $450. They're brand new in boxes, size runs from 42 to 44, in black and tan. The 'black' is more like an olive tone, and the tan shade is a like brick red.

WHEN:
                            December 5 to 7, 2007, (Wednesday to Friday),10AM to 7PM

WHERE:
                            Rafe New York Showroom, 85 Fifth Avenue (corner 16th St.) 12th Floor, 212.609.1195

The rest of the stuff at that sale won't be of any interest to SZers unless it's as presents to friends and family, but I thought this might be worth mentioning.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

shit, wish they had a 40.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                                • Oct 2006

I thought you might be my foot size or smaller, faust - I would have PMed you if they did. I tried calling you to confirm sizing but your cell wasn't taking calls.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎