X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comex9
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    /\ what a good looking fella :-). Are you back?
    After a statement like that, say what the rappers say to justify "no homo"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Bitch, please. I am confident enough in my manhood to acknowledge that another man is handsome. Sometimes I'm so happy that I don't suffer from the multitude of Anglo-Saxon-American-Puritan prejudices.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
        • Jan 2010

Lunor and LA Eyeworks make a similar style frame but in all acetate or metal, not the combination.
        THE HOUSE OF DIS
        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• comex9
          • Jan 2009

I said what what....
          I said what what... Sorry not too good posting vids, saw on tosh.0. Ok I'm still juvenile
          http://www.google.com/m/url?client=safari&ei=Kg9aTPifEsiBlAfFttPfAw&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DfbGkxcY7YFU&ved=0CBkQtwIwAw&usg=AFQjCNF-Y-1679ndDy_Rr9motphBomoEIA

Comment

• Nemesis_4
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
            I have these in the olive tortoise, my favorite pair of glasses, so light and just a great classic style, you can't go wrong with these

Comment

• jcotteri
              • Jun 2008

^Thanks for the review.. The Oliver Peoples are a nice option.

Robert Marc 251
              WTB: This

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

^^ fyi oliver peoples and robert marc runs narrow.

i've owned two robert marc's frames in the past. quality is horrible.

Comment

• jcotteri
                  • Jun 2008

^thanks for that.. Just posting up frames I find that are somewhat close to what I want..
                  WTB: This

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Recently discovered Derapage. Love them.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

Glasses - discussion of frames, stockists, designers

Hi all,

It seems that there are many of us here who have difficulty reconciling our seeing-needs with our sartorial preferences.

Glasses can be an accessory, too, and certainly, not all glasses are the same. There can be enormous differences in quality, design, and the like.

My eyes have changed often since I received my first pair of glasses 22 years ago, and I have thrown out few pairs. Perhaps, I'll start by posting images of these frames, time period, pros and cons, and showing my preferred frames for how I dress now.

MBD
                      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                        • Jan 2010

MBD - an eyewear thread has been started and since buried here.

I've been wearing glasses since I was 15 and while looking back some of my earliest pairs were awful for my face, I've managed to hold onto all my frames that I've acquired in the last 16 years. Considering I worked at an optical store for a brief time and worked for an eyewear company one summer it's a fairly large collection.

Lately, I've really been liking buffalo horn as a material. It just feels so much different than acetate and the grain is amazing. However, most of my frames are titanium, painted stainless steel, acetate or some combination of those. If also been going for more traditional shapes whereas before I sought the more unusual or quirky designs. All my frames are from the Belgian company, Theo, with the exception of an older pair of Proksch buffalo horn sunglasses.
                        THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

• syed
                          • Sep 2010

Good topic, maybe merge this with the existing thread?

I've been wearing glasses since I was around 7/8, and still waiting for them to settle! Not overly short sighted, but definitely enough to want to get the thin lens option. I used to wear classic NHS glasses as a kid, that always received the wrong type of attention from other kids - but now they seem the height of hipsterdom, so there we are. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Went the wireframe route for a while (the same time I had shoulder length rather frizzy Pre Raphaelite curls) however it was always an afterthought. Now I think I may revisit wire frames, but go for some classic 1920s options, or just the Gandhi specs. The past fews years I have been on the hunt for decent classic frames, I am not that keen on all the sharp angles and logos running along arms. I want to keep it classic where framing my face is concerned, I can use hair to go wacky if I want I guess. Definitely a tortoiseshell man, but I am tempted once my eyes settle to branch out into blood red and maybe some bottle green frames.

Bad old photo meant to show some cuffs I knitted, but these are the RayBans I am wearing nowadays. Hopefully I can get to building a proper collection soon. The way I see it, they are just as important an accessory as any other...well actually, more so, because your face is what people look at and is the focus of you as a person...if that makes sense?

"Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• eton97
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                            Lately, I've really been liking buffalo horn as a material. It just feels so much different than acetate and the grain is amazing.
                            Couldn't agree more.

I have been wearing glasses for 20yrs+, and for the last 7yrs I have only worn buffalo horn. I will never go back to acetate or metal.
                            The light weight nature of the horn, and the fact that your skin doesn't sweat and can breathe under the natural fibres creates a really unique feel to the frames.
                            Also as houseofdis states, the grain and natural patterns within the horn creates a really stunning and individual look.

I have buffalo horn frames from a company called 'retrospecs' which also use parts/fittings from original frames from the 1930's, and a couple of handmade frames made specifically for me (ie they keep all my measurements on file so each pair fits perfectly) from 'hoffman' which I think make the best buffalo frames in the world. I try and stick to classic shapes to ensure they remain timeless.

I would highly recommend buffalo if you are looking for a truly unique and wonderful pair of glasses that will last you a lifetime.

Will post some pics to show you the really beautiful grain when I get back home after new year.
                            Last edited by eton97; 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM.
                            you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• JetLag
                              • Jul 2008

What about tortoise shell? If you have an opportunity to spend time in Paris, less than 1mn walking from Rick Owens' store, take a look at the most amazing and refined place for glasses:
                              www.maisonbonnet.com (site under construction...)
                              They are the ones who made the famous glasses Yves Saint-Laurent wore.
                              passage des Deux-Pavillons 5, rue des Petits-Champs 75001 Paris.
                              A few informations about the company here:
                              Originally posted by danman
                              If I could meet you in person I'd fuck you up and steal your PH you bitch. Fuck you and your site

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                                • Jan 2010

Here is a selection of my frames in somewhat chronological order of when I purchased them. All the photos are mine except the final photo which was taken from the theo website.

Some of these I wear much more often than others but I am attached to all of them for different reasons and I think they all have their own personality which reflects an aspect or aspects of my personality.

Eyewear can dramatically change a persons appearance as well as their attitude.

theo "dule" (without sunclip) - acetate

theo "chaude" (without sunclip) - stainless or titanium?

theo "eyewitness hio" - titanium

theo "eyewitness BG 54" (aka flintstones) - acetate & aluminum

theo "eyewitness KEP" - rubberized titanium

theo "eyewitness" (aka scribbles) - acetate

theo "eyewitness" - titanium

theo "eyewitness ME" - stainless or titanium?

theo "andries" - Buffalo Horn

theo "quarant" (mine are similar to the bottom pair except painted a metallic dark brown) - buffalo horn & stainless
                                Last edited by thehouseofdis; 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM.
                                THE HOUSE OF DIS

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎