Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marco-von
    • Feb 2009

Have had to wear glasses since i was 2 years old. Born with a very rare eye condition that gives me super large pupils and iris's and only the smallest hints of white in the corners. This also attributed to my rather extreme short sightedness!

The top pair are on my to find list for sure but i foresee it being no easy task due to there being zero retailers near me but then there wouldn't be much fun in that.

Meyer Eyewear.

Reindeer horn and titanium

Comment

• surver
      • Oct 2007

imo, MATSUDA made some of the most beautifully crafted eyewear i've ever owned; too bad they're no longer around... i've been trying to find sources all over the world for any remaining stock...

the japanese are still making beautifully handcrafted artisan glasses with the likes of Kame ManNen & 泰八郎謹製; there's a slew of [old] artisans in japan producing various glasses, all of which are downright 'art' pieces in and of themselves... too many to list and post images of though...

of course, there's THEO of belgium whose been doing very gutsy, fun and amusing as well as artsy eyewear for many years...

counteracted with the hi-tech crowd such as ic!berlin and Mykita (who actually are 2 of the original founders of ic!berlin that got 'ousted' by their partner in an ugly fiasco so hence started mykita, so i heard)...

lastly, there's this amazing artist called Ryo Yamashita who literally as an artist, crafts one-off editions of very very kool glasses at 'art' level prices out of materials such as iron and bamboo... kinda hard to find information on him on the web though...

lastly, the classic of all classics... how glasses can come to define the zeitgeist of a profession - Le Corbusier and his dark round glasses...

Comment

• eton97
        • Dec 2008

oh man oh man.
        I feel another expensive obsession/addiction is about to enter my life.
        Too many pandora's boxes being opened.
        you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• theblackpalette
          • Aug 2010

/\ HAHAA

I don't know much about eyewear but I reckon those glasses made by N(n) looks pretty good.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

These are the glasses I've been wearing everyday for the pas 3 years

vintage Lanvins from the late 70's / early 80's would be my guess

I don't think they particularly clash with my style, on the contrary they add something, and have become part of the way people see me

they also allow me to shelter myself from the world, which is important to me

Comment

• jdemotion
              • May 2009

Soloist x Oliver Peoples

Saw this Takahiro Miyashita x Oliver Peoples a couple weeks ago and they've really grown on me. I've been wearing the Moscot Lemtosh frame for several years now and I think the 1st and 3rd pair would be a good replacement.

I believe the release date is March 2011, hopefully not only in Japan.

(pics via porhomme.com)

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                • Dec 2010

I just got the NDG-1 in the storm color. The Oliver peoples X Nom De Guerre old collab. Love them. First pair of glasses.

I've looked around for buffalo horn rims but have never seen anything too interesting. Recommendations?
                Last edited by Carpe Noctem; 01-14-2011, 04:34 AM.
                "My Roll is to Rock"
                -Jimmy Page

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by JetLag View Post
                  What about tortoise shell? If you have an opportunity to spend time in Paris, less than 1mn walking from Rick Owens' store, take a look at the most amazing and refined place for glasses:
                  www.maisonbonnet.com (site under construction...)
                  They are the ones who made the famous glasses Yves Saint-Laurent wore.
                  passage des Deux-Pavillons 5, rue des Petits-Champs 75001 Paris.
                  A few informations about the company here:
                  http://www.maisonbonnet.com/angver/4generations.htm
                  I'm so glad you posted here jetlag because I love the eyeglassses you are wearing in the HOF photo.

Although the page, with its images of tortoise shells drying on the wall, already *looks* intimidatingly expensive.

I am rather annoyed that no optician -- including the schmancy, pretentious "Spectacles for Humans" in SF & LA -- have never suggested natural frames to me given that a regular complaint I have voiced to them is about the tendency of my frames & very heavy lenses to slide off my face in the summer.

I will certain look into buffalo horn (like the handle of the Laguiole pocket knife that my grandfather gave me when I, as a French farm boy, turned 12) and to the goods offered by this gorgeous shop in Paris...

Thanks for the advice Eton, Dis and Jetlag.

MBD
                  "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                  It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                  My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by galia View Post
                    These are the glasses I've been wearing everyday for the pas 3 years

vintage Lanvins from the late 70's / early 80's would be my guess
                    I like them - they work perfectly for you. I have a vintage frames in a similar colorway: Riccis. Unfortunately, I've had them for 5-6 years and have worn them exactly two times -- they're too heavy with their frames for everyday wear:

I have to stop "wish" purchasing and buy glasses that I can wear without pain daily.

MBD

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                      I am rather annoyed that no optician -- including the schmancy, pretentious "Spectacles for Humans" in SF & LA -- have never suggested natural frames to me given that a regular complaint I have voiced to them is about the tendency of my frames & very heavy lenses to slide off my face in the summer.
                      Having worked in an optical store, I can tell you that you will most likely require a frame with nose pads because you have a shorter and more narrow bridge. You are also going to have to pay through the nose (no pun intended) to get super high index lenses with a flatter base curve in order to cut down on the weight of the lenses. If your prescription is bad (+/- 4 or more) your lenses could easily cost twice the price of your frames. As you probably know, you will also probably need to go to a better optician to make sure the do the job well. Those 1 hour or overnight places rush too much to do a precise job. With the new lens technology out there it is amazing what they can do for people with terrible eyesight.

Even fancy opticians in the US don't normally carry buffalo or tortoise due to the price and America's demand for cheap and disposable goods. So, it's possible the places you have gone to haven't had them. I don't think I've ever come across real tortoise shell in the US and buffalo horn only on rare occasion. I'd say titanium is still one of the lightest materials but the waterjet cut stainless steel frames can be super light now since the material itself is so thin. However, if your lenses are really heavy, getting high quality, high index lenses is what will make the most difference in weight.
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS
                      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• eton97
                        • Dec 2008

i would have thought that real tortoise shell is illegal.....surely its just the name we give to the acetate 'colour code'?
                        Surprised buffalo horn isn't a more popular material in the high-end opticians in the US
                        I still think it is 'the' material for glasses
                        you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                          • Jan 2010

Apparently, Maison Bonnet are the last remaining makers of genuine tortoise frames and according to this article, they haven't acquired any new material since 1974.

I don't think most people in America know that frames can be and are still made from buffalo horn. It's something you really need to know about or be lucky enough to stumble across. I don't think any vision plan would come anywhere close to covering the cost of buffalo frames and like I said, most Americans want things for pennies.
                          THE HOUSE OF DIS
                          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                            Having worked in an optical store, I can tell you that you will most likely require a frame with nose pads because you have a shorter and more narrow bridge. You are also going to have to pay through the nose (no pun intended) to get super high index lenses with a flatter base curve in order to cut down on the weight of the lenses. If your prescription is bad (+/- 4 or more) your lenses could easily cost twice the price of your frames.
                            I paid through the nose for my last pair of glasses and the frames were only $390 - the lenses: $600 & nose pads $50 for a total of >$1000. My eyes are +/- 7. Awesome.

Fortunately, they made a mistake and accidentally cut two sets of the same lenses. But they told me that they would make me another pair of glasses if I bought another pair of frames. So I did. I choose them over the phone. (A pair of slender white Dita frames.) Not surprisingly, I haven't worn the second pair and don't feel so great about the transaction despite the free lenses.

If you have any source or recs for buffalo horn, please do share.

Thanks dis,

MBD

Comment

• rudo
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jdemotion View Post
                              Saw this Takahiro Miyashita x Oliver Peoples a couple weeks ago and they've really grown on me. I've been wearing the Moscot Lemtosh frame for several years now and I think the 1st and 3rd pair would be a good replacement.

I believe the release date is March 2011, hopefully not only in Japan.
                              They look great. I would love to try them on, as glasses are probably the last thing I can buy before trying them on..

Also I would be interested to know where we can try buffalo horn frames in US.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                                oh man oh man.
                                I feel another expensive obsession/addiction is about to enter my life.
                                Too many pandora's boxes being opened.
                                Ugh. There was a noticeably acidic mix of glee and sickness in my stomach when I saw the images of the shop in Paris still making tortoise shell frames.

Dis - I was told that I couldn't get titanium frames because of the thickness of my lenses. Is that true?

Meyer and Meyer evidently makes glasses with reindeer horn temples...the style isn't me, but perhaps we're getting closer.

MBD

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎