• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

CCP should make a Ferrari.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Triple layer kangaroo exterior with an unborn calf interior? Object dyed of course. Can't forget the dripped wheels.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

5 year wait time... depending on who you order through. When it arrives, the seat will be too low and not adjustable, but you'll justify it in your mind by saying it just means you're closer to the road even though you can't see beyond the dashboard.

... and the paint job will be a shade of gray even though you ordered black.
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
          Triple layer kangaroo exterior with an unborn calf interior? Object dyed of course. Can't forget the dripped wheels.
          Thank you for the immense mental image.

Comment

• HugAndWug
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
            5 year wait time... depending on who you order through. When it arrives, the seat will be too low and not adjustable, but you'll justify it in your mind by saying it just means you're closer to the road even though you can't see beyond the dashboard.

too good too good

Comment

• Resonkuken
              • Oct 2012

Titanium inserts will be an option... but it´ll cost you extra.

I would have to be aching for an item like crazy to wait months to get it... or have a good amount of disposable income.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• viciouscircle
                  • Oct 2009

Finally over 3 years of hunting completed! Took me a while...

Carpe Diem S40. Calf leather I believe.

Wine, cheese and crackers.

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

Altieri made an Aston Martin...
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• yay
                      • Sep 2014

3 years hunting, damn. i'd just be happy if i still like the same clothing now and in 3 years

Comment

• dalmatas
                        • Sep 2008

BSR nah Altieri land rover fan))
                        Originally posted by cjbreed
                        CCP is heroin. no, wait CCP is crack because it takes all your money in about 10 minutes...

Comment

• viciouscircle
                          • Oct 2009

I'm more of an old fashioned man.
                          Wine, cheese and crackers.

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                            • Nov 2007

leave Ferrari out of this

Sorry guys but I find the Ferrari analogy logic to be a little misleading here.

Albert, 4-6 months for a Ferrari is quite short. I would say the average, which really depends upon the model and the project the client is ordering, is more like at least a year. For example, the following links to document...

14months for a 458...
                            Just ordered a 458 Italia Silverstone/Cuoio. Very excited. Will replace the Cali. Was debating between another Cali, FF, or the 458. All lovely...

2 years 488 GTB...

1.5 years FF..
                            It’s not uncommon for buyers of exotic supercars to have to wait up to two years for their new baby to arrive due to the limited production capacity and overwhelming demand the builders of such fine machines are faced with. One of the worst offenders is Ferrari whose latest must-have, the FF supercar, already has an 18 month waiting list despite being...

It must be emphasized Ferrari also doesn't sub out its production like most of the clothing and shoe designers discussed here. A Ferrari is made in-house at Maranello. Period. Including the motor. Comparing CCP to Enzo Ferrari is simply out of the question both in terms of their operational structure and resources (including human), and the nature of their product and their philosophy and shows a lack of understanding of the 2 firms.

As for using the argument that a few days or a week only are required to making a leather jacket or whatever, that too is misleading. There are a plenty of jobs in your real field Albert, medicine, where the actual time to perform them have nothing to do with the waiting time required to get them done. I.E...the millions of patients out there who have to wait weeks, months, even years, for an operation that might need only 2-3 hours in the OR (Operating Room) to get done by a competent or incompetent (depending on the service) surgeon. Like medicine, there is a lot triaging in special order production and creation work. And the bottom line is not just how long it takes the person to do the job, but the scarcity of the actual people available who are capable of doing that job, plus the priority being placed on that job to be done if at all.

And that is where the time and price hits the fan.

You want or need something special that only certain human beings in the world can do in a world where almost nobody has skills anymore, then more often than not, you will need to wait longer, pay more, and take on more risk, than you do with other things.

If you are not prepared to do so, then satisfy yourself or your needs with something else, and go blame or change a society that no longer wishes to educate and develop enough skilled people to serve its needs.

Or go ahead and try to make it yourself.

And lastly, perhaps it was joke, but the closest thing to Altieri ever making an Aston Martin was the one he purchased and then sandblasted the exterior and had reupholstered with CD leather from Guidi. A far cry from building the real thing. Buying and modifying is one thing. Building from scratch is another.

Honestly, after almost a decade of this forum claiming to be a home for discussing artisanal making and work, isn't it time we start to know the difference between who really makes things and who really doesn't? Or do we prefer to assume that perhaps, no one really cares.

In which case, I would say, let them all wait...

Comment

• DudleyGray
                              • Jul 2013

Considering CCP is likely someone who doesn't need anything from anyone, I'm surprised he even puts a time frame on his product, that he just doesn't state "you get it when you get it." Maybe the time frame is just an arbitrary goal or business formality to him.
                              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

^ Several valid points Geoffrey.

Perhaps the Ferrari wait time analogy was inaccurate, but it was not meant as a 1:1 direct comparison. Even so, members on here have certainly waited over 1 year for delivery on a pair of shoes or a jacket. My personal wait (and this was now almost 8 years ago) on a jacket was I believe 7 months, and although measurements and some other details were provided, still was 1 size big, with zero recourse. If I did the same thing for any of my own clients when I do MtM/MtO, it would be no bueno.

Infrastructure at each of the aforementioned institutions are indeed different and so are their requisite resources. At the same time, is it really reasonable for that long of a wait time for a garment special order? Sure, an operation's actual time may be 3-6 hours, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, in my clinical experience, people get their operations scheduled within 2 weeks to 2 months and typically because there are some clinic visits and workups necessary. The date set at your clinic visit (analogy being when you place your order), is the date you WILL have your operation with few exceptions.

It may be a (personal) issue of semantics, but for me, a special order or custom order should be just that. Special. Some level of priority should be made for it, although I understand that the footwear may require outsourcing/batch production/dyeing.

I understand that there are several incentives from the business side to continue to accept special orders (why would you say no to someone paying in-full, up front for something guaranteed to be sold to them upon creation?), but from an ethical perspective I would think that there would be an obligation to deliver products in a time frame determined ahead of time and adhered to.

To continue with the car analogy, Hennessey Racing just outside of Houston is well known for bespoke supercars as well as modifying your car. Prices are astronomical and payment is (or at least used to be) up front with an ETA provided. Time and time again, they've failed to deliver to several disgruntled clients, and they've developed a bit of a reputation in that sense. Yes, they still sell cars and make cars (so who cares right?), but not without this reputation as well.

There is the artist/creative side and the business side to all of these things. With full payment up front, there is less (if almost no) incentive to deliver on time, and the customer is left hoping and wondering when they'll get what they spent their hard earned money on given the lack of transparency in the process.

Integrity and responsibility to me are important things, especially when others and their $$ are involved. It's easy to ignore them if you so choose, and much harder to adhere to them.
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎