X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
    Considering CCP is likely someone who doesn't need anything from anyone, I'm surprised he even puts a time frame on his product, that he just doesn't state "you get it when you get it." Maybe the time frame is just an arbitrary goal or business formality to him.
    What the hell does this even mean?
    what designer out there doesn't need anything from anyone?

I dont care how rich or how well of your family is, in the end you need something from someone, even if it is from your own family to support your endeavors.
    We all need an appreciative audience for our own work, we need critics to light a fire in our belly and help us to create something we ca then shove down their throats

We need competitors, to give us the feeling that if we are not on top of our game we are going to be phased out like an old vinyl record player.
    Sometimes i think you guys give people too much credit and make gods out of mere mortals.......
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

There is the artist/creative side and the business side to all of these things. With full payment up front, there is less (if almost no) incentive to deliver on time, and the customer is left hoping and wondering when they'll get what they spent their hard earned money on given the lack of transparency in the process.

Integrity and responsibility to me are important things, especially when others and their $$ are involved. It's easy to ignore them if you so choose, and much harder to adhere to them.[/quote]

but will not transparency take away that Mythical aspect of things that make believers out of many, when if some are allowed to know the process, the means of production and the people producing then this would in all likelihood lead to a significant loss of (sexual) desire?

there are reasons why things are the way they are, and at times while I agree change is good, I a not sure what kind of change is beneficial to both producer and consumer

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        There is the artist/creative side and the business side to all of these things. With full payment up front, there is less (if almost no) incentive to deliver on time, and the customer is left hoping and wondering when they'll get what they spent their hard earned money on given the lack of transparency in the process.

Integrity and responsibility to me are important things, especially when others and their $$ are involved. It's easy to ignore them if you so choose, and much harder to adhere to them.
        but will not transparency take away that Mythical aspect of things that make believers out of many, when if some are allowed to know the process, the means of production and the people producing then this would in all likelihood lead to a significant loss of (sexual) desire?

there are reasons why things are the way they are, and at times while I agree change is good, I a not sure what kind of change is beneficial to both producer and consumer[/QUOTE]

Very true Z. At the low level/micro-scale production that I do, I have the resources and ability to have direct dialogue with the end-user/client. It does require time and effort. To scale that up to even medium-level production while retaining that type of connection is not easy. It is way easier to - from the beginning - minimize direct correspondence capability. It definitely works to retain that mystery, desire and wonder, while keeping things easier for the designer.

This is interesting because as Geoffrey brought up parallels to medicine, I've been part of a paradigm shift in the health care field. Before, the physician/surgeon was this person that came in, told you what the problem was and what their plan was and then left. No questioning, you have X and I'm treating it.

Nowaways, especially with healthcare reimbursement hinging party on patient satisfaction and an overall public movement towards quantified self, self-education (for better or worse), and a decrease in blind trust in all fields, the physician needs to spend more time with patients and their families, answer questions, be more available for direct contact. Trust me, this is MUCH more work for the physician. Life would be way easier if it was the "old way," but to me, that wasn't the right way. Dialogue, trust and openness, although now essentially mandated in many ways, is how things should be. If done correctly, then in the end, both sides are happy (if also exhausted from the process).
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I think there is something you are missing, and something we often fail to account for in human relations...............

A lot of time, people do not care to acquire things, whether it be clothing or otherwise, that is too accessible, that is too transparent in its process of development. there is a craving in the human mind to achieve, through some effort and sacrifice, something that seems beyond the scope and capability of their capacity.......to be accepted where they were rejected, to have and to own what the masses cannot....

This has been an essential part of the fashion game from the days of Haute Couture and it is still a part of the game now. To simply walk into a store and buy an item is NOT exiting. The tension and frustration of waiting 6 months to a year, the dialogue that comes with that, its all a part of a very strange process that seems to excite some people......and that is a very great part of the desire to purchase.

Even a lot of goodwill build up for "ethical" and transparent brands, is a build on a kind of support that comes from many clients and supporters who have been frustrated with inaccessibility and exclusivity from certain circles and certain brands customer base.....it is essentially a counter reaction to something they are dissatisfied with

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

^ yes, I definitely understand the exclusivity factor... in many ways SZ was built on the discourse of these designers as the fans and consumers were spread so thin across the world.

If its all part of the marketing (while keeping things easier for the designer to just remove themselves from the line of communication), then it is what it is. Perhaps I'm just more of an idealist and am drawing personal influence from my "day job" as it were where these things are not really an option.

Enjoying this discussion for sure!
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• nvsnli
              • Mar 2013

CCP is a ponzi scheme.
              It will take years before people realise he ran with the money.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                What the hell does this even mean?
                what designer out there doesn't need anything from anyone?
                Is he still a designer, though? He hasn't put out a collection in years. Maybe he just keeps the thing running so the people who make the stuff can have a paycheck, and if they can't keep to their deadlines and lose customers, well that's their problem.
                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                  Is he still a designer, though? He hasn't put out a collection in years. Maybe he just keeps the thing running so the people who make the stuff can have a paycheck, and if they can't keep to their deadlines and lose customers, well that's their problem.
                  one does not stop being a designer because there is a long time between collections........
                  Matter of fact, I often wonder sometimes if it makes sense to do two collections per year. the World is changing, the way people purchase and use items is definitely changing..........

As long as the produce
                  ts are well made, delivered and the customer appreciates it what does it matter if it was designed 5 0r 10 years ago?

Comment

• guardimp
                    • Jun 2010

If you don't have new collections it is harder for some people to justify buying another of the same thing. In a sense putting out two collections a year was a precursor to fast fashion - just at a slower rate. So long as your garments are not planned to be obsolete there is no need for multiple collections, it is rather a quite nifty sales technique.

In a way Ccp sidestepped this with the special orders. By having a virtually unlimited selection there will always be more customers. Additionally the pricing and waiting builds the hype that normal runway shows or showrooms would build - neither of which he needs since people know what he will make.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Back on topic. Finally got my Leon Emanuel Blanck leather. I cannot describe how sick this thing is. It's like armor, but it will soften up with wear (in the second photo I just stood it against a door).

I wore it once and it already started molding to my body. New Yorkers, don't miss Leon tomorrow at Atelier and Sunday at our party - you can talk to him about his construction methods.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

/\ nice
                        great work and great man
                        I will miss atelier tomorrow for reasons you already know but surely will see him on Sunday

he should have come here today and i cant find him!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Back on topic. Finally got my Leon Emanuel Blanck leather. I cannot describe how sick this thing is. It's like armor, but it will soften up with wear (in the second photo I just stood it against a door).

I wore it once and it already started molding to my body. New Yorkers, don't miss Leon tomorrow at Atelier and Sunday at our party - you can talk to him about his construction methods.

This deserves a fresh page.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                            • May 2014

Nice jacket Faust. Is the leather horse?

I had tried on a jacket of his earlier this year at Atelier. The leather was soft and buttery and a very tight fit. The construction is definitely interesting, yet i find the method to work best on the leathers. I believe his other pieces may still need refinement. His staple is pretty incredible though for how new of a designer he is.

Comment

• nicelynice
                              • Oct 2009

That LEB leather is absolutely fantastic. Really curious as to how it'll look with some good wear on it

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

PJ, it's calf and it's the opposite of soft and buttery But it will break in and soften up and mold to my body. And the color of the leather is amazing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎