X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
    MetroBulotDodo - how did Haaretz come into the conversation?
    Will be spending New Year in Tel-Aviv
    Ah - why Tel Aviv? There is a fantastic and fun sidewalk café culture there, and unlike London, where I once spent a solo New Year, there won't be people passed out, in their own vomit, by 4 pm, December 31.

I mentioned Haaretz because I was reading the Ann thread and saw that our own Faust was lucky enough to interview her himself.

HERE

Truly, one of the very best I've read about her!

-MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

i majored in Cultural Anthropology as an undergrad, not out of passion for the subject (at the time), but because i figured it'd get me out of college in 4 years, and it did.

i'm currently an MFA student in Creative Media although these days i spend most of my energy in the area of photography. i guess i'd like to be able to work as an artist full time, there isn't anything else at the moment I feel I can do.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• thehouseofdis
        • Jan 2010

I got my BFA in interior and furniture design and have basically been working in the interior/architectural field for the last 13+ years. I began working on high-end residential projects but decided designing homes for wealthy people wasn't very fulfilling. I got a job doing retail design which I liked even though a lot of the projects were pretty boring. I started doing some freelance design for small shop owners and really liked having more control of the design and overall aesthetic. In 2005/06 I had the opportunity to design the Y-3 flagship store in Tokyo which I found to be a great experience until I found out that adidas didn't see a point to having me attend the opening. I did, however, make it to the opening and was thanked by Yamamoto for the design. Since then I feel I haven't really done anything to speak of regarding retail design.

The economy over the past ten years has proven quite challenging for the construction/architecture/design fields and I've had serious doubts about whether or not to continue it. I've considered going back to school for New/Interactive/Creative Media but am still on the fence about it. I really love what technology has made possible for visual and audio artists. I also think there is so much to be explored and discovered within these fields that it makes them very exciting.

I have experimented with photography, video art, sound and fashion/accessory design a bit and I've been in a few group shows. I have enjoyed working on those projects immensely but somehow haven't motivated myself to do more of it.

I am a big fan of music and have toured North America as a road manager. I also dj and I run Facebook pages for two musicians (Imaad Wasif and John Parish). I'm seriously considering trying to pursue a career working with musicians in some capacity whether its as a manager of some sort, doing live visuals, or possibly making music.

I have made the decision to move to New York in 2011 and hope this will afford me many new opportunities in whatever things I choose to pursue.
        THE HOUSE OF DIS
        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

I owned a social media and marketing company for the last 5 years before selling in July but stayed on as the creative director. Is a much different animal working for a corporation after working for myself for so long. But, I have a level of financial stability now I've never had and probably never would have if I hadn't sold.

Comment

• bestial
            • Jun 2008

^ somewhat close/in the field to what I'll probably will be doing.

Doing my first year at the university studying Interaction Design. I study HCI-HMI-blabla and make prototypes and tests with users. Now I'm starting out with some programming, but the main focus will be usability in interaction.
            Last edited by bestial; 12-09-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Aleks
              • Feb 2009

Fashion Design student in Vancouver.
              Working on my final collection now.
              I also intern for a menswear label here, and I am waiting to start an assistant design position with a woman's wear label that is opening up very soon.
              After school I am planning on working, taking art classes and saving up to go to another fashion school to get a BFA.

Comment

• neonrider
                • Jan 2008

^mbd, i lol'd at your friedman story. that's a hilariously accurate description if ever there was one. fascinating work, sounds like fun. i love the detail you put into your posts, always great reads.

eton, good to hear you're ok post-lehman, i have several friends that are still having a bit of a rough ride for the fallout.

"mouth off in a funny and smart way and it will get you places."--this is great career advice. exactly what worked for me, funnily enough.
                ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  ... Lesson learned: mouth off in a funny and smart way and it will get you places.

sain't

Comment

• Mikevigar
                    • Jan 2010

My background is in social housing, supported housing and homelessness but I'm currently doing stuff around unemployment. Its interesting to see lots of people are pursuing/doing something creative career wise which presumably goes some way to explain their love of this place and all discussed here. Would be cool to see more people come out the woodwork who aren't working in creative industries to discuss what they do - I love talking about my work but can't contribute much to discussions about creative industries unfortunately.

Comment

• ink
                      • Sep 2010

wow, some one form Cardiff!!! I miss Cardiff a lottttttttttttttt

Comment

• Mikevigar
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ink View Post
                        wow, some one form Cardiff!!! I miss Cardiff a lottttttttttttttt
                        It is a great place and its got a lot better over the last couple of years, lots of new development (huge new shopping centre). Still devoid of anything for the fashion lovers, but loads of lovely places to eat and drink!

Comment

• tgadd
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Mikevigar View Post
                          My background is in social housing, supported housing and homelessness but I'm currently doing stuff around unemployment. Its interesting to see lots of people are pursuing/doing something creative career wise which presumably goes some way to explain their love of this place and all discussed here. Would be cool to see more people come out the woodwork who aren't working in creative industries to discuss what they do - I love talking about my work but can't contribute much to discussions about creative industries unfortunately.
                          I work in software sales for Adobe, so while my job isn't exactly creative either, I don't think we'd have a lot in common career wise!

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

I finished high school last year, and I'm currently on my first year of an amazing Art History degree at a very nice university in the UK. Being a typical modern Greek = 18 years of doing nothing, while spending my parent's money in the process. I've never worked or contributed to society in any way. Hope that changes someday...
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• lost53
                              • Dec 2010

what I do...

I earn my living by being a photographer, I made a career change 10 years ago. Glad I did it but it was not easy. I am so glad I had no idea how hard it would be... I would never have done it!

Interesting reading what the other chaps do for a living.
                              Keep on keeping on all!!

Comment

• ES3K
                                • Oct 2008

I was a banker (apprenticeship), was bored by it and became editor for a video games magazine, then studied law because I didn't want to review games forever, was bored again (or rather: annoyed), worked for two years as product/marketing manager for an interactive entertainment major and, finally, launched a creative/web agency 12 years ago -- which seems to me more like 12 months... time flies!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎