Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muse
    • Jan 2011

An interesting thread so thought I would make my first post here.

I am currently "Global E-Commerce Manager" for one of Norway's biggest cruiselines. I am responsible for online sales and have been in this position for over a year now.

Before moving into this position (and company) I spent four years in online gambling as a web manager, with focus on the Scandinavian market.

I turn 28 this year and am very much blessed to be in the current position I'm in. Thanks

Comment

• arc
      • Mar 2011

Was a trader.

Now I am unemployed, do nothing productive but smokes pot.

Comment

• eton97
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by arc View Post
        Was a trader.

Now I am unemployed, do nothing productive but smokes pot.
        what were you trading?
        you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• diorowen
          • Aug 2010

@MBD,
          mBd, your life is so interesting :), wish I can have 1 like yours. haha.
          nowaday my life has been quite monotone, with all my university stuff.
          for me, I'm studying architecture in RMIT , Melbourne. Sometimes work part time when I'm quite free during semester. Mostly not though. Hope to learn more from you guys here :)
          still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• BrettChaotix
            • Nov 2007

I'm a computer geek. My company is an employee owned (ESOP) distributor of industrial equipment. Nothing sexy about it at all but it's a very successful company. They hired me in late '07 envisioning some major acquisitions coming down the road and they needed someone to oversee IT/operations for the projects with the (contractual) understanding that position will evolve into CTO/CIO over the next few years.

Aside from that, I was in touring political punk bands throughout the late 90's/early 00's. Occasionally I will see a bit of money trickle back in from that but it's pocket change.

For the last few years I've been DJing various events around Baltimore/DC. I used to host a weekly party but I've been too busy to keep up with it. Now it's mostly upon request. I stick to the genres of: classic punk, 1st gen/2nd gen ska, indie, new wave, 90s underground, etc....

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
              what were you trading?
              pot..
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                pot..
                that's one commodity that always seems to go up...... No brainer trade.....
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• marsa
                  • Feb 2011

after completing a Bachelor in Photography, I did fulltime modelling for a few years, then later completed a Masters of philosophy in Media studies - presenting a thesis on the social investigation of Fashion as an institutionalized practice of conformist behaviour and asserting the concept of Fashion, as a process of transformation from which tangible items of clothing attain intangible value...

then worked as a photographer for some years - and still do but no longer "commercially" - still shooting heaps, working on some personal book projects and recently published a photojournal called WithoutSun - currently working on the #2 issue.

Nowadays im the head of PR in one of scandinavias biggest Fashion agencies and in addition to this, my girlfriend and I own and operate a 180 sqm hairsaloon, where I do everything that does not involve scissors and blowdryers ( read: paperwork)
                  Last edited by marsa; 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Icarium
                    • Oct 2010

I work at Google in abuse operations. Been here for 4.5 years doing basic operations grunt stuff, then coding for operations (Not an engineer) and now business analyst stuff.

First job out of grad school and not sure that it's a good first job as I'm certain it throws my expectations out of whack as far as what the "real world" is like.

It's a comfortable place to work, but as with any other place, its own special kind of hell as well. Still need to figure out what I want to do down the line and it's very possible I'll have to leave here to do it. So see how goes. Right now it pays the bills... barely.

Comment

• Ochre
                      • Sep 2009

Marsa, I would be very interested in reading your thesis if it's available anywhere.

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

/\ That's exactly what i was thinking. Never heard of anything even remotely similar to your topic as far as such things go.
                        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• arc
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                          that's one commodity that always seems to go up...... No brainer trade.....
                          lol

I traded structured product, something that I was not proud of.

Comment

• marsa
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
                            Marsa, I would be very interested in reading your thesis if it's available anywhere.
                            Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                            /\ That's exactly what i was thinking. Never heard of anything even remotely similar to your topic as far as such things go.

you guys are in luck - despite being norwegian i wrote my thesis in english - so if you are up for 100 pages of endless academic mastrubation -
                            Last edited by marsa; 03-31-2011, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• t-bone
                              • Dec 2009

Huh, never saw this thread before. Very interesting to see what everyone else keeps themselves busy with 9-5 (or not).

I run a full service tech consultancy here in NYC. We started off as a straight IT firm about 6 years ago, then we saw a need within our client-base for internal application development, so we hired some Ruby devs and built some apps, and in the process got a pretty slick RoR team running with offices here and offshore. We also do custom Rails hosting slices from our datacenter and recently started doing a lot of dev-ops, monitoring, and maintenance for creative/interactive agencies. So basically we do all the least glamorous most nerdy shit in the field, but we get to work on a lot of cool projects and with a lot of cool clients doing a lot of different stuff, so it keeps things interesting.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                                so we hired some Ruby devs and built some apps, and in the process got a pretty slick RoR team running with offices here and offshore. We also do custom Rails hosting slices from our datacenter and recently started doing a lot of dev-ops, monitoring, and maintenance for creative/interactive agencies.
                                Ruby on Rails DORK.

MBD
                                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎