Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

dinosaur was fantastic the one time i went but it's a journey to get there.

blue smoke used to be my favorite but in the past year the place has gone to shit and i don't recommend it at all.

i was surprised to discover that brother jimmy's across the street from port authority was really good.

apparently the people behind fatty crab in the west village are opening a barbecue restaurant in williamsburg.

fette sau is dead.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• swych
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
      I used to eat at dino-bbq regularly back in Rochester. Fucking amazing. I used to get the "sweethearts meal for two"..... And eat it all myself. Glorious.
      wont be much goth ninja left for you if you go at that rate

faust you need to pay it a visit. you can make reservations at opentable to avoid the insane queue

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by swych View Post
        wont be much goth ninja left for you if you go at that rate

faust you need to pay it a visit. you can make reservations at opentable to avoid the insane queue

hehehe, I know... those days are over!
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• curiouscharles
          • Jan 2008

never got around to thanking you guys for all your suggestions.

ended up hitting most of the cheap/moderate places recommended.

treated myself to a dinner at babbo - which was well worth the price.

broadway sucked a lot of my money out of me, as did olive's in soho - i pretty much ate the special soup/sandwhich combo every day, fucking tasty.

can't wait to go back, pretty sure nyc is going to be a once-a-year event for me from now on.
          —
          -

Comment

• christianef
            • Feb 2009

is there a new york thread still? faust mentioned it here but i ran a search and this is all that came up (link??) also does scoute do a newyork rundown like they have for paris i ran a search there aswell and only an article on atelier showed up?? though i probably just suck at searching aha. i am going to NY in may and need to save most of $$ for clothes aha so may try to stay in the flats people rent out but ive never done it before so would prefer something with a reference. thanks for any help!!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Definitely something there on both SZ and Scoute. Cheap accommodation in general is not easy to come by (although with the recession, that might have changed). Why save money for clothes - you live in Europe.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nikov
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                is there a new york thread still? faust mentioned it here but i ran a search and this is all that came up (link??) also does scoute do a newyork rundown like they have for paris i ran a search there aswell and only an article on atelier showed up?? though i probably just suck at searching aha. i am going to NY in may and need to save most of $$ for clothes aha so may try to stay in the flats people rent out but ive never done it before so would prefer something with a reference. thanks for any help!!
                cant help you with flats, but the NY thread is still around. it's just hiding in the Shopping and Personal Style subforum:

the scoute list for NY is good, but short. almost all the info can be found somewhere in the thread, i believe.

Comment

• .jb.
                  • Jul 2009

christianef http://scoute.org/travel/newyork

while you're talking about cheap accom in this thread...
                  anyone have any thoughts on night hotel as a "cheap" accom choice?

thanks in advance

Comment

• scott.m
                    • Mar 2009

My boss has been telling me that the Thompson is quite affordable, in LES I believe. Also, it may be worth looking into the Ace hotel.

Comment

• een
                      • Sep 2006

for around $100, I recommend The Jane or Seafarers...
                      yes, you have to share a bath

Comment

• laughed
                        • Jul 2009

uh, the title of this thread is weird....either way, i was up all night with insomnia and saw on some tv show that one of the ladies from le tigre has her own salon -
                        Seagull Salon Seagull is an acclaimed boutique hair salon in the West Village of NYC. The “Haute-Choix” of hair salons. Seagull boasts a star staff in NYC.

not a fan of le tigre and sometimes i go months without getting a fresh do but since I will be moving to nyc soon it would be nice to know a couple good places to go since i'll be leaving my trusty cutter.

Comment

• laughed
                          • Jul 2009

alright, im staying at a sublet right now so sometimes i need to be away form here - i like staying out of the guy's hair- i also obviously want to check some things out, so what is good library here? i see there is like 100 of them on the website and i don't know where to begin. obviously looking for a place to just post up for half a day or so with my laptop and continuing trying to find a place. btw, went on the subway for the first time yesterday - and i gotta say - this sucks! i hate not knowing where anything is, how to get there, what lines to take, etc. trying to get a feel for nyc is surely a little harder than i thought it would be.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

all new york libraries are disgusting. i thank god that i have access to the nyu library. your best bet I think is the jefferson market branch - at least it's in the village and in an old tower clock building. maybe a book store with a cafe and wifi is a better bet? check out mcnelly jackson
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

some nice nyc libraries:

ny public library (ghostbusters)
                              the morgan
                              brooklyn public library
                              the condé nast library if you can get in..

the ghostbusters library is a must visit, just don't go to mid-manhattan across the street. typical nasty-ass nyc library as faust described. you'll leave the place wanting a shower..

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

alright thanks for the heads up. went to i guess the ghostbusters one lol....bad ass, decent selection of books but great environment.
                                im just gonna give a few thoughts about nyc. Bed bugs, what the flick are they because they are real!?!! i got bites all over me.
                                People here are beautiful. I mean beautiful. Period. Sucks because when i first got here i met two VERY cool girls (with connections i REALLY needed) and got so wasted i lost their numbers. ugh. Other thing is, i used to work from time to time in manhattan. First time coming to brooklyn...man, brooklyn from what i can tell so far is the SHIT. I love it. I was worried their would be too many young little scrubs but i love it.
                                Main thing is. I lived in la for years and always found the debate funny. NYC destroys LA in every way possible. Not even close. I love the grimeyness of this place and the people. And really, you gotta be a hard ass to live here. I got one more week to find a place to live or im FD. Searching for a place and visiting people is a lot harder than one would imagine. This sucks!!!! Also, i've been kinda screwing it around because i am taking in a lot of things - like getting a tattoo today, when i should be looking for a place. anyway, this place is awesome, besides the fact that I haven't found a good cheap breakfast before i hit the L...good not-so cheap yeah...and I really like Midtown West area for some reason. I know i shared about 10 drinks with a SZer in bk the other night. I didn't want to ask him but i know he was. member of a few other forums, knows his shit...very obvious. SZers in NY are so easy to spot after crushing WAY too many beers.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎