X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kamsky View Post
    Which Adorno work? Read "Minima Moralia" some years ago for grad school. This entailed reading about a dozen fairly disparate works at once, which for me unfortunately resulted in being able to recall little of any, but that one stood out.

Anyone familiar with William T. Vollmann? Never read anything by him, but just started "The Atlas." Seemed a good place to start.
    I'm reading collected texts on (mass) culture, a lot less fragmented and ambitious than Minima Moralia but some gems are to be found.

Faust: I haven't read the complete sherlock holmes in well over 20 yrs so I can't really say I am affected by my previous reading.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• fireflygrave
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by radio-aktivität View Post
      Both are great. I just got Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, his newest book (which was released yesterday here), and it’s off to a good start too. Nice book.

In retrospective, I’d say Hard-boiled wonderland is my favourite. And of course Norwegian Wood, for the hopeless Romantic in me.
      Love hard-boiled wonderland so much, but I don't know if I could choose a favorite yet. Maybe once I've read all his books, and then re-read each again I can decide
      put a tiger in your tank

Comment

• #ruin
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by RK1 View Post
        I am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov however I am not sure whether or not im.. well too young to appreciate it (enough).
        Guess i'll find out!
        i just started reading that last week myself (i found out about it through a reference in 1Q84 by Murakami). i'm really enjoying it, but like you mentioned i also feel i'm too young/not knowledgeable enough to fully appreciate it for what it is.

Comment

• bukka
          • Sep 2011

My most enjoyable russian reading was Erofeïev; Moscou-Pétouchki, such a great samizdat
          Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• BeauIXI
            • Nov 2008

I'm part of a reading group working through the various 10 lb tomes of the 20th C. At the moment, Underworld, by DeLillo. So far so good!
            Originally posted by philip nod
            somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
              I'm part of a reading group working through the various 10 lb tomes of the 20th C. At the moment, Underworld, by DeLillo. So far so good!
              I gotta give this another try.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
                • Jan 2011

Paul Veyne, Did The Greeks Believe in Their Myths: An Essay on The Constitutive Imagination

French Structuralism

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Ambitot
                  finishing Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
                  What are you being punished for?
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kamsky
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Ambitot
                    finishing Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
                    Have been meaning to read it, actually. Has been my intention for years, admittedly, and it's not clear to me that I will ever do so.

Truth to tell, I've a strong tendency towards a confirmatory bias in my reading choices, and thought this might go some way in countering it.

Certainly do not intend to ask you to justify it or say whether it aligns with your own way of thinking, but would like to hear what your impressions of it are.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                      What are you being punished for?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                        My most enjoyable russian reading was Erofeïev; Moscou-Pétouchki, such a great samizdat
                        Fantastic book. Fuuma, you should read that. It's translated into in English as Moscow to the End of the Line.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Fantastic book. Fuuma, you should read that. It's translated into in English as Moscow to the End of the Line.
                          I'm reading more novels this year so, yeah, don't hesitate to recommend titles.
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• bukka
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Did you read something else from Erofeiev? I read his "psychopath's diary" (couldn't find the exact title in English), it was way more fucked up than "Moscow to the End of the Line", less poetry, more reality.

On a different subject, does anyone here can recommend me something similar to Eugene O'Neill? "Hughie" was performed here last week, it was amazing. Really reminded me Hopper's painting atmosphere.
                            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                              Did you read something else from Erofeiev? I read his "psychopath's diary" (couldn't find the exact title in English), it was way more fucked up than "Moscow to the End of the Line", less poetry, more reality.

On a different subject, does anyone here can recommend me something similar to Eugene O'Neill? "Hughie" was performed here last week, it was amazing. Really reminded me Hopper's painting atmosphere.
                              No, I have not m

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Wolfmechanic
                                • Jul 2013

The Problem of Pain - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎