X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Verdandi
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
    The Latin is lovely, too, despite some criticism by the tin-eared - it's where my forum handle comes from, from one of my favourite sections at the battle of Alesia in book seven. A good example of the efficiency with which Caesar uses Latin while yet retaining dramatic impact.

(First half of 7.88 for those who can read the language and are interested in disagreeing with me )
    De Bello Gallico is forever tarnished to me because my Latin teacher made us read the damn thing for a whole year in 12th grade and I hated her. Everytime I try to give it another go I hear 'you pronounciation is all wrong, read the whole page again' in the back of my mind.
    But aside from that, Latin is a wondeful language always worth learning.

I finished De Coniuratione and since that went suprisingly well (as in not having to look up every third word) I am on to the fun stuff. Catullus.
    Last edited by Verdandi; 03-23-2014, 06:31 AM. Reason: can't type on phone
    lavender menace

Comment

• returningson
      • Aug 2012

currently reading The Leftovers by Perotta. Interesting read so far with some very fleshed out characters. Picked up it because my GF told me HBO was going to do a show on it. Look foreword to it!

Comment

• viv1984viv
        • Feb 2008

Reading The Talented Mr. Ripley by Highsmith... cannot even begin to explain how important this book is going to be for me. It strikes at the core of all 3 of my projects. Also, the craft of fiction, story telling, is fantastic. Im trying to write my first novel (half way) and almost every other page I am snapped out of the world only to admire Highsmith's craft with a mixture of awe and sheer jealousy.
        Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• returningson
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
          Reading The Talented Mr. Ripley by Highsmith... cannot even begin to explain how important this book is going to be for me. It strikes at the core of all 3 of my projects. Also, the craft of fiction, story telling, is fantastic. Im trying to write my first novel (half way) and almost every other page I am snapped out of the world only to admire Highsmith's craft with a mixture of awe and sheer jealousy.
          ive read this years ago. you are right in every respect. Highsmith's characterization is stunningly superb. Shame the movie kinda sucked.

Comment

• viv1984viv
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by returningson View Post
            ive read this years ago. you are right in every respect. Highsmith's characterization is stunningly superb. Shame the movie kinda sucked.
            The Anthony Minghella film is a slanted take, not awful. But a film that bears only a passing resemblance to the book - although some aspects it picks up on are great.

I mentioned it hear because of the mirror/persona/fashion/style aspect of Tom. Wanting to appear a certain way, adopt an identity; and thus become another person... surely a sentiment that some people on the board may relate to.

I feel its a character that so many can relate to... who hasn't 'accidentally' lost their accent for used a nice suit as a costume etc etc.

Highsmith's genius was that she could provide an amoral character that pretty much anyone could relate to... who doesn't want to move up a class or be more independent or richer or more cultured...and who doesn't think about their appearance, whose reflexivity doesn't stray into a little fantasy or anxiety?

Comment

• returningson
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
              The Anthony Minghella film is a slanted take, not awful. But a film that bears only a passing resemblance to the book - although some aspects it picks up on are great.

I mentioned it hear because of the mirror/persona/fashion/style aspect of Tom. Wanting to appear a certain way, adopt an identity; and thus become another person... surely a sentiment that some people on the board may relate to.

I feel its a character that so many can relate to... who hasn't 'accidentally' lost their accent for used a nice suit as a costume etc etc.

Highsmith's genius was that she could provide an amoral character that pretty much anyone could relate to... who doesn't want to move up a class or be more independent or richer or more cultured...and who doesn't think about their appearance, whose reflexivity doesn't stray into a little fantasy or anxiety?
              I guess you are right that the film, when consider as stand alone material, is "ok" but I read the book first then watched the film which when considering the film's deviations from such wonderful source material they had the possibility to use, it left me wanting...that why the old adage that the films are never as good as the books holds true.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                • Sep 2008

Did you guys see the French version of Mr Ripley? Plein Soleil? I thought it was a lot better than the Minghella version.

Comment

• bukka
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
                  Did you guys see the French version of Mr Ripley? Plein Soleil? I thought it was a lot better than the Minghella version.
                  Cinema thread maybe?
                  Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• viv1984viv
                    • Feb 2008

Under The Skin by Michel Faber is a fantastic book I read recently. Read it before you catch the Glazer adaptation.

Read Banks' The Wasp Factory the other day too, enjoyable but not that impressed.

Comment

• ahn
                      • Jul 2012

I am currently making my way through all of Donna Tartt's books. Which is to say, there's only three. I greatly enjoyed The Secret History and The Little Friend, now I'm about halfway through The Goldfinch. I especially like it when she writes from the perspective of the protagonist, so I think I'm probably enjoying The Goldfinch more than The Little Friend for that reason.

Now that I'm spending so much time on Public Transport I'm getting a lot more time to read. Will need something new in the next week I think.

I like well written fiction I can 'fall into'.
                      some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Magic1
                        • Jan 2011

Almost done with Erich Fromm's Marx's Concept of Man. Having read some marx, it reads like an introduction rather than a dive into his deeper ideas. Sort of disappointing. But I guess that was it's intent: re-introduce the American public to what Marx meant, after so many years of misunderstanding and misrepresentation by communist countries.
                        Now back to the Reader.
                        Last edited by Magic1; 04-01-2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                          I am currently making my way through all of Donna Tartt's books. Which is to say, there's only three. I greatly enjoyed The Secret History and The Little Friend, now I'm about halfway through The Goldfinch. I especially like it when she writes from the perspective of the protagonist, so I think I'm probably enjoying The Goldfinch more than The Little Friend for that reason.

Now that I'm spending so much time on Public Transport I'm getting a lot more time to read. Will need something new in the next week I think.

I like well written fiction I can 'fall into'.
                          One thing I miss after getting a car. The consolation prize is that I listen to much more music now.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

Is giacomo leopardi's zibaldoni worth reading? The prospect of an Italian novalis or goethe is tantalizing, but this negative review has me worried: http://quarterlyconversation.com/zib...acomo-leopardi .
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• 550BC
                              • Jan 2013

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Highly recommended, you will get a boost of wisdom and inspiration.
                              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I've been flipping through it too from time to time.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎