X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DamageX
    • Dec 2008

The Forever War & Starship Troopers

I've been trying to catch up on some classic Sci-Fi other than Philip K. Dick. I'm really enjoying these books that take the character from boot camp to frontline.

Comment

• Magic1
      • Jan 2011

Reason and Revolution -- Marcuse

Comment

• gawkrodger
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Has anyone read the Thomas Piketty book, Capitalism in the Twenty First Century, yet?

BSR, bukka, what's his reputation in France?
        Reading it currently and its a bit shit. Don't get me wrong, his statistical work is impressive and will no doubt but useful but his conclusions he draws? fuck me.

And he really, really needs to read some Marx

Comment

• gawkrodger
          • Jun 2013

I do like his writing style - it is engaging and fairly easy to read

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
            Reading it currently and its a bit shit. Don't get me wrong, his statistical work is impressive and will no doubt but useful but his conclusions he draws? fuck me.

And he really, really needs to read some Marx
            You think Piketty has not read Marx?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gawkrodger
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              You think Piketty has not read Marx?
              Well, he has repeatedly claimed to have never read Capital, and this book would add further weight to that!

Comment

• gawkrodger
                • Jun 2013

C: Can you talk a little bit about the effect of Marx on your thinking and how you came to start reading him?

TP: Marx?

IC: Yeah.

TP: I never managed really to read it.
                The French economist is a rock star of the left thanks to a book called Capital. But in an interview, he shrugs off Das Kapital.

Comment

• Magic1
                  • Jan 2011

I'm not about to read 700 pages to reach the conclusion I've already come to, so can you speak to why/how having read marx would have improved his book? Is it just repeating marx? His economics lacking? What? Just curious.

I heard that though he's well-respected in France, the book wasn't regarded as anything special; it claims and proves, in an innovative way, what everyone already knows. It's regarded as sort of an academic study. Whereas here in the US we treat it as a revelation.You mean, like, capitalism and inequality are like, linked?

Comment

• gawkrodger
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
                    I'm not about to read 700 pages to reach the conclusion I've already come to, so can you speak to why/how having read marx would have improved his book? Is it just repeating marx? His economics lacking? What? Just curious.

I heard that though he's well-respected in France, the book wasn't regarded as anything special; it claims and proves, in an innovative way, what everyone already knows. It's regarded as sort of an academic study. Whereas here in the US we treat it as a revelation.You mean, like, capitalism and inequality are like, linked?
                    Your second part I completely agree with - it's one of those books which seem to catch a certain zeitgeist (eg Klein's No Logo) by stating the fairly obvious - capitalism makes rich people richer and keeps poor people poor.

What he does do is put together one of the best statistical evidence based arguments for this (hence my reference to stats).

His inability (or even unwillingness?) to explain what causes this inequality (his rate of return of 'capital'> rate of growth of income) is a major failing, his defining of capital as a thing not a process and his naive tax solutions all let the book down

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
                      Your second part I completely agree with - it's one of those books which seem to catch a certain zeitgeist (eg Klein's No Logo) by stating the fairly obvious - capitalism makes rich people richer and keeps poor people poor.

What he does do is put together one of the best statistical evidence based arguments for this (hence my reference to stats).

His inability (or even unwillingness?) to explain what causes this inequality (his rate of return of 'capital'> rate of growth of income) is a major failing, his defining of capital as a thing not a process and his naive tax solutions all let the book down
                      Except the interesting insight isn't that one, it is that the 30 or so years of growth and lowering social inequalities following WWII were the exception to this capitalistic rule of increasing polarization so all the theories about why this isn't working anymore are moot. The idea that capitalism furthers democracy, equality, human rights etc needs to be torn down so even some sort of middle of the road social-democrat loving his meritocracy like Piketty will do.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• 550BC
                        • Jan 2013

read this a long time ago, but as I interpet it as a sort of small bible/guide, I read it once a while again, ''In Praise of Shadows'' by Junichiro Tanizaki
                        a fish out of water dies

Comment

• AHutching
                          • Sep 2012

A good friend recommended a book that i just received in the mail today.Very excited to start reading it.
                          storm of steel by Ernst Junger

Comment

• abouta6oy
                            • Jun 2014

A Dance with Dragons ...2nd time

Comment

• k3mist
                              • Apr 2013

2nd In Praise of Shadows, wonderful read.

anyway I read this is lit class years ago, reading it again now and enjoying it way more.

Comment

• bukka
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by k3mist View Post

anyway I read this is lit class years ago, reading it again now and enjoying it way more.

It was part of the corpus I taught a few years ago. I remember spending 1h30 detailing this sentence: Revenez, mon cher vicomte, revenez. Incredibly well thought novel.
                                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎