Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kamsky
    • Jan 2007

@fit magna caedes, Thanks for your post. Upon rereading mine, found it sounded a bit sanctimonious and a little more paggro than I'd've liked. Neither was intentional. So, bear with me, I'm gonna try to respond a little out of sequence to some of the things you bring up.

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
    I'm feeling thread-hijack guilt again.
    While I think we're veering a little into thoughts about academia (I know I was), and some of the problems inherent in how we receive texts and knowledge (I think I can safely say that your posts have touched on this), they seem pertinent and relevant to the topic. They're to do with what and how we read (at least it's so for me). Hopefully this thread isn't to be limited to a simple list of book titles and others won't mind too much. Mods & other members are welcome to tell me otherwise.

Lucky you. I've moved on from this area myself [...] Just another deluded amateur.
    Lucky us/cheers to us, then. Granted, I've a bit of an axe to grind with academia, but it is, to my mind, a largely unrewarding, exploitative, insanely cloistered, sheltered and hermetic field. Enough ink's spilled elsewhere regarding this, so enough said.

But the moment of education is by its nature one of reduced agency - as knowledge is power, descending into an area one has no knowledge in will leave one open to influences that one does not even recognise as influences. The good conscience of the teacher does not help much here [...] This can be seen in the students of any teacher, however good - it's no coincidence that most of Heidegger's pupils were in some way Heideggerians, and not Wittgensteinians, or the like. [...] [I]n a situation where one is reading a difficult book like Capital for the first time, especially if it is not the beginning of an ongoing study but just an attempt to grasp the book and move on, all this is amplified. In any moment of doubt, it becomes easier and easier to agree with your guide...
    Interesting point, and maybe one that I've failed to appropriately take into account on my previous post. To put it somewhat self-flatteringly, I think I'm willing to extend a little more generosity towards the putative reader and assume s/he is discerning and smart enough to both digest whatever point the (primary or secondary) text is making and disagree with it if need be. So yes, there is an unequal distribution of power in the relationship between a student and teacher, but I'm not sure it inexorably leads to the student adopting the teacher's view. At least not permanently? (See, for example, the number of people that were initially associated with the psychoanalytic movement and later broke away from Freud.)

Not saying this always happen, but I've seen it happen many times to postgraduates rushing through things so as to possess an "understanding" of them, and younger students who take a course that sets up their prejudices about an author for life. Have seen it in particular with Harvey [...] Or perhaps I'm wrong... haven written that, I'm already doubtful. It may be that I'm simply judging Harvey unfairly, based on the improper use others have put him to.
    Going back to your previous post, it occurs to me that I am far less familiar with Harvey's older texts (his career going back 'round fifty years by now), and it may well be the case that he's taken to explicitly acknowledging his subjectivity relatively recently. This wasn't as wide a practice in the 1960s as it is nowadays.

With regards to the use others make of Marx/Harvey's arguments: I think a good number of my academe cohort frankly knew they were at best making a selective reading of them that best suited whatever agenda they needed to espouse to complete whatever monograph they happened to be working on at the time. To be honest I was pretty guilty of this myself (not really with Marx or Harvey, but certainly with, say, Gayatri Spivak), and it was one of many reasons I didn't stay in that field. One may properly understand a text and yet misuse it pretty cynically. Note: not defending this practice.

If people who were deluded in some aspects of their subject were prevented from teaching, we'd have no teachers.
    Certainly appears so.

Comment

• TolleyAlways
      • May 2012

The Teleportation Accident by my friend Ned Beauman. I met him at a party and noticed he was wearing all Rick and figured I'd read the book.
      It's amazing so far. Only about 70 pages left.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TolleyAlways View Post
        The Teleportation Accident by my friend Ned Beauman. I met him at a party and noticed he was wearing all Rick and figured I'd read the book.
        It's amazing so far. Only about 70 pages left.
        Haha, next level.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
          • Oct 2010

just started this book on music, materials science, and mathematical category theory earlier today:

here's a taste of the type of thing contained in it:

I wonder what some of the fabrics admired on this forum would sound like if translated into music.
          "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• kamsky
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by trentk View Post
            just started this book on music, materials science, and mathematical category theory earlier today
            Looks pretty fascinating; never heard of this field before. (The word 'biomateriomics' has amazing balance, is very euphonic.) What drew you to this text?

Just started Eugène Ionesco's Le Solitaire earlier today.

Comment

• Czx
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by trentk View Post
              just started this book on music, materials science, and mathematical category theory earlier today:

I wonder what some of the fabrics admired on this forum would sound like if translated into music.
              Very interesting and very relevant to my interests, thank you for that.
              Btw. if anyone likes scientif approach to music (and methods of it's creation) then "Microsound" by Curtis Roads is a must read.
              néant
              Last.FM paranoia
              Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
              0 > ∞

Comment

• bukka
                • Sep 2011

Finished "The unbearable lightness of being" and actually loved it. So many clever writing tricks
                What do you guys think of his definition of "Kitsch", last section, ch.5.

Next on the list is Mishima's tetralogy. This is going to take a while I guess.
                I'm reading "Sayonara, watashi no hon" (2010) from Ôe at the same time. Someone was reading Ôe here, I definitely recommend to read most of his novels before this one, because this one is "autofiction" and you can find a lot of similarities shared with his previous stories. Truly an amazing writer.
                Last edited by bukka; 02-15-2014, 03:56 AM.
                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• stagename
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                  ... have just started Latour's "We have Never Been Modern". Anyone here read it?
                  I did a few years back and I will have to revisit it to enjoy the sequel. I preferred re-assembling the social, though, as i found it more actionable, which I guess fits my interest better.

I'm enjoying Illouz's "Why Love Hurts" at the moment. It was the perfect book to mind fuck your date for Valentine's.

Since Harvey was mentioned, I have "A brief history of neoliberalism" on my wait list. Worth it?
                  Last edited by stagename; 02-16-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• noise
                    • Oct 2012

the charterhouse of parma by stendhal
                    unspecial effects for graphic designers by bob gill (highly recommended for anyone in a design-related field. bob gill is amazing and a very common sensical writer.)

Comment

• therawbook
                      • Sep 2013

In preparation for my first half marathon, I am reading Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk about Running". Many of his quotes resonate with me and are applicable to my life. Before spring arrives, I hope to read "Snow Country" by Yasunari Kawabata.

Comment

• flicers
                        • Sep 2009

Regarding Latour: Here's a critique from an anthropological perspective featuring awesome fieldwork with reindeers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMCytCAqUQ
                        Main points are that his supposedly modern prinicple of symmetry rests on the premodern distinction human/animal and his methodology which is at times questionably. However I found it very refreshing and enjoyable (plus it's quite influential so you're at the least reading sth. relevant).

Started Markson's Wittgenstein's mistress, not sure what to think of it.

Comment

• stagename
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by flicers View Post
                          Regarding Latour: Here's a critique from an anthropological perspective featuring awesome fieldwork with reindeers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMCytCAqUQ
                          Main points are that his supposedly modern prinicple of symmetry rests on the premodern distinction human/animal and his methodology which is at times questionably. However I found it very refreshing and enjoyable (plus it's quite influential so you're at the least reading sth. relevant).

Started Markson's Wittgenstein's mistress, not sure what to think of it.
                          Thanks flicers I just transferred this to a friend due to his current research.

Latour has a FUN MOOC class at the moment on scientific humanities, if anybdoy is interested.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                            I'm part of a reading group working through the various 10 lb tomes of the 20th C. At the moment, Underworld, by DeLillo. So far so good!
                            Picked it up again today, as promised.

Dropped 2666 by Bolano with a heavy heart, but after 80 pages I found myself losing interest.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kamsky
                              • Jan 2007

Just about to start re-reading Moby-Dick; first read it about eight or so years ago.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Once is not enough?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎