Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Halfway through michael cisco's the great lover and starting member next. Might write something (short) about his work once I've finished both, but for now, you can click both images below to read reviews. This is the strangest 21st century literature that I am aware of, and I could see it nourishing the imagination of (/vaguely fitting into the aesthetic universe of) someone like iris van herpen.

"He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by trentk View Post
      Halfway through michael cisco's the great lover and starting member next. Might write something (short) about his work once I've finished both, but for now, you can click both images below to read reviews. This is the strangest 21st century literature that I am aware of, and I could see it nourishing the imagination of (/vaguely fitting into the aesthetic universe of) someone like iris van herpen.
      Would really like to see your thoughts on Member Trent, Ben's review really piqued my interest in the book.
      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• SuE
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
        RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez. One of the finest authors :(

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...a-marquez-dies
        RIP. His works introduced me to magical realism. I'm browsing Love in the Time of Cholera again and reminiscing
        One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Senpai
          • Apr 2014

Normally read a few books at a time. Just finished the following
          Taipei - Tao Lin

Kafka On The Shore - Haruki Murakami

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

Comment

• bukka
            • Sep 2011

Kouhai, could you at least say smth about the books you read!?!?
            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• julian_doe
              • Mar 2013

http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2014/04/cold-cave/

I don't know if this is the place to write this, but I just finnished reading Faust's interview with Wes Eisold from AN/GUTG/SG/XO/YOM/CC (etc., haha) and I am very happy to read that you had an opportunity to chat with this obscure poet.

When I was a teen, one of the first hardcore music shows I went to was American Nightmare, and throughout my life I have seen Some Girls and many other performances by his musical projects. Back then, only a niche group of very passionate people (a lot like the SZ community) knew about the guy and followed his work. Now, Cold Cave has launched him to reach the recognition he deserves (even Plokhov treasures the guy). If anyone is interested, Eisold also runs a small independent publishing company called HEARTWORM Press and released an awesome collection of his poetry in a book called Deathbeds (which also includes most of the lyrics he has written).

Faust, this was an awesome SZ article!

Comment

• returningson
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Highly recommended, you will get a boost of wisdom and inspiration.
                One of the first books I ever read in college. I went around striking up conversations and then ending them with "god is dead" and then just walking away.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
                  I don't know if this is the place to write this, but I just finnished reading Faust's interview with Wes Eisold from AN/GUTG/SG/XO/YOM/CC (etc., haha) and I am very happy to read that you had an opportunity to chat with this obscure poet.

When I was a teen, one of the first hardcore music shows I went to was American Nightmare, and throughout my life I have seen Some Girls and many other performances by his musical projects. Back then, only a niche group of very passionate people (a lot like the SZ community) knew about the guy and followed his work. Now, Cold Cave has launched him to reach the recognition he deserves (even Plokhov treasures the guy). If anyone is interested, Eisold also runs a small independent publishing company called HEARTWORM Press and released an awesome collection of his poetry in a book called Deathbeds (which also includes most of the lyrics he has written).

Faust, this was an awesome SZ article!
                  Ah, thank you!!! We've become quite the paypals over the course of the past few months. He's one of the most endearing human beings I have ever come across - genuine, earnest, and kind. I am flying to Europe at the end of May to see Cold Cave and NIN in Antwerp and Paris

Here is the link to the article. http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2014/04/cold-cave/
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Scmick Schmowens
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SuE View Post
                    RIP. His works introduced me to magical realism. I'm browsing Love in the Time of Cholera again and reminiscing
                    yeah, a truly magnificent writer. Hundred Years will go down as one of the absolute best of the 20th century.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Ah, thank you!!! We've become quite the paypals over the course of the past few months.
                      lol...
                      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Lol. Oh, God. PENpals :)
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• julian_doe
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Ah, thank you!!! We've become quite the paypals over the course of the past few months. He's one of the most endearing human beings I have ever come across - genuine, earnest, and kind. I am flying to Europe at the end of May to see Cold Cave and NIN in Antwerp and Paris

Here is the link to the article. http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2014/04/cold-cave/
                          No worries!

To be honest, I am very jealous, as that should be an incredible experience. I only spoke to him once at a Some Girls show in Orlando, Florida (ages ago), and from our brief conversation and further reading of his material I've felt likewise. It must be super cool to have someone with his artistic approach and genuine emotion at close reach.

I hope you guys become BPP's! (Best PayPals)

Comment

• 550BC
                            • Jan 2013

Bushido by Inazo Nitobe

Stopped reading it not long ago, gonna catch up again.
                            Best book when it comes to Samurai and the ancient soul of Japan
                            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Resonkuken
                              • Oct 2012

I`m not reading it yet but I recently received a copy of Yukio Mishima`s "The Temple of the Golden Pavillion" (a great find to get in english and not have to settle with spanish). I first need to finish reading a couple of other books I`ve got on rotation and I`m gonna dive straight into this. I`ve been aching to read some Mishima after watching Paul Schrader`s film.

Comment

• therawbook
                                • Sep 2013

Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov is definitely worth your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎