X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viv1984viv
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by pilgrim View Post
    I just purchased a print subscription (in addition to the digital subscription I had already) of Foreign Affairs. Foreign Affairs is a publication released every 2 months by the Council on Foreign Relations. As some of you may know already, the Council on Foreign Relations is a non-partisan think tank and publisher headquartered in New York.
    As a student moving forward with an appreciation of public service, I'm hoping to sharpen and develop a focus and appreciation of a global perspective that is so important to someone who is starting out in their academic career.
    The articles are well considered, thoughtful and intelligent and provide a thorough sense of perspective on international problems and goals.
    Thank you kindly for sharing such a considered and thoughtful publication. Moving forward, I welcome you to share the granularity of particular content from Foreign Affairs.
    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• pilgrim
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
      Thank you kindly for sharing such a considered and thoughtful publication. Moving forward, I welcome you to share the granularity of particular content from Foreign Affairs.
      Thank you for that. That's great.

Comment

• josecc
        • Feb 2012

Starting this, I hope to find some practical insights for my research

Comment

• pilgrim
          • Apr 2014

Written by the first non-family investor of Amazon Nick Hanauer and co-written by former Clinton speech writer Eric Lium, The Gardens of Democracy: A New American Story of Citizenship, the Economy, and the Role of Government is a dark but thoughtful perspective on what should be realized by the country, in terms of the economy and basically the financial "garden" or financial ecosystem in America and of course globally.

This author also had an interesting piece that gained attention recently about the 1% and how the shift of wealth displaces the middle class and how to think about what could be done now.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...2#.U7srzo1dUad

It's funny how after hearing things about this topic, some of it seems like common sense, but it takes someone with an influential voice to articulate an idea to catch the attention of people. The uncertain financial future of younger people and even most people has created a strange environment.

From what research I've done on the author, from his banned Ted talk to writings/interviews and apperance in Robert Reich's film Inequality for All, he seems to sincerely care about and understand the feedback loop that creates value in a society and investing in the middle class through a better regulated tax structure. I've heard one of his critics decry his argument as a "moral argument" implying it's not valid, but things are so strange in this country now I think we are ready to have a moral approach to how we build our economy.

An interview with Charlie Rose for the book,

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ I'd rather read Game of Thrones - probably has more truth about politics than this or any other book written by a Clinton speech writer and an Amazon investor. I guess I'm into realpolitik.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
              • Sep 2011

Finished this today, mandatory after visiting naoshima. Absolutely amazing book with a good analysis of each building one by one, plans and great pictures. Highly recommended.

Finished Runaway Horses, second novel in the sea of fertility by Mishima. The ending was absolutely breathtaking. Fun fact: the french version was translated from the english version. I couldn't comprehend why till I found another novel by Mishima today in a second-hand book store with an indication at the beginning: "This book was translated from the english version as requested by Mishima itself". English speakers here, you should definitely read Mishima, it's probably way closer to the japanese version. I really can't understand why Mishima would order this. Any idea?

Reading for the next months: Cendrars, Sarraute and Mishima.
              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

R.I.P. Nadine Gordimer
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                  • Sep 2011

This thread is so dead, it's sad.

I'm still on the Mishima train, but way further than last time. Tetralogy finished, 2 others novels and a short story compilation read as well (Confession of a Mask, Forbidden colors and death in midsummer). I also read the absolutely fascinating biography by John Nathan, who was a personal friend of him and his translator (Mishima cut all ties with him after he refused to translate another novel because he wanted to translate a Personal Matter from his only rival: Ôe Kenzaburo).
                  I'm currently reading The Death of Radiguet, a short novel, published in a french/japanese edition, and The Sailor who fell from grace with the Sea, both from Mishima. Both good. I recommend to start with Confession of a Mask or the bio by John Nathan, as Mishima's life is more or less a novel itself.

I also start re-reading Henri Michaux, because it only gets better with time. I'll probably try to go a bit deeper with his texts written while taking Mescaline, I'll try to write a comment once my understanding of those texts improves.

I ordered Michel Bitbol's Pour une philosophie et une science des relations. I just read a few pages last week, it looks exactly what I'm looking for in philosophy. Anyone reading french and interested in up to date philosophy should check it. Will try to tell more about it in the next post.

Comment

• malaesthetique
                    • Mar 2009

Still working through this but mind blowing so far

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks for resurrecting, Bukka.

As some of you might have guessed by the quote thread I recently finished Sabbath's Theater by Philip Roth. What a crazy and daring book. I find it sad that Roth will probably not get a Nobel prize, since half the population (women) hate his guts.

Started on Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow. Last major Saul Bellow work, who has become my favorite writer, I have not read. It's fine so far, but does not stand up to his other novels.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Thanks for resurrecting, Bukka.

As some of you might have guessed by the quote thread I recently finished Sabbath's Theater by Philip Roth. What a crazy and daring book. I find it sad that Roth will probably not get a Nobel prize, since half the population (women) hate his guts.
                        I've only read The human stain, I'll check this one as soon as I finish a few of my current readings. Or is there another one that you preferred?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

This, Portnoy's Complaint and American Pastoral.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Landadel
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2014

Read this while on holiday:

EDIT:

I like Houellebecq, because he´s good at describing people, there´s a depth to the characters he creates. I´ve also read "The Map and the Territory" and if you watch some of his interviews you can clearly see the autobiographical elements in the his characters.
                            Last edited by Landadel; 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

^and? At least try to say smth about what you read.

I quite liked Houellebecq Extension du domaine de la lutte and La carte et le territoire but after reading all his novels at once, I was feeling fed up with his "écriture blanche": he certainly is a great writer and you need a big amount of talent to write this way but I can't really see myself reading more Houellebecq, the last one was the acme of his style imho.
                              Never read his poems, did you have a look?

Comment

• Landadel
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2014

I edited my post.

It was a fun read, but you´re right, you shouldn´t read all of his books at once.
                                Has this experience turned you into an smoking alcoholic?

EDIT 2: There´s a nice little Arte film about Houellebecq being kidnapped, maybe you´ve seen it:

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnSubscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgLike us on...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎