X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kollaps
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
    Outfit minus Samurai gillet and goathair beanie, with just some combat boots, black LS and a regular beanie ( might be RO) would have been better.
    I think you just almost got what you asked for.

Comment

• tlack
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kollaps View Post
      I think you just almost got what you asked for.
      I don't know who that is or why everyone hates him, but that looks is tremendously better than the hat-n-samurai version. Has anyone seen that pattern on the skirt up close? Looks interesting but perhaps an unnecessary touch..

Comment

• tricotineacetat
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
        I actually like the outfit, just drag the top down a bit.

Taller side zips and the pants cuffed would have been perfection, but it looks good I think. The skirtdrops is such a statement piece and should not be mixed up with other too "fashionable" or detailed pieces at all, then it looks too much like a costume. I also like the Black cotton/black leather/black cotton( or wool)/ black leather layering.
        I'm not too keen on the proper 'leather skirt' thing worn over pants, the shape is way too a-line for my taste, compared to the panelled swing pants which have an overall rather flat silhouette. This looks very much like the leather skirt he's had in the women's line, which we bought for the store, and which also has the diagonal seams in the front:

Comment

• Silk
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
          Could you develop ? Imo, it's one of the most interesting innovations in the FW 09 collection. Id addition, it's a evolution of his work as well, since he already did may times the pants+stitched shorts combination.
          I don't want to piss anyone off who may like those "skorts", but they just don't seem to be adding anything appealing on a male. It is so short it should be classified as just a skirt(Is there a seam dividing the two sides, which makes them "shorts" like? I cant tell). I am all for a new interesting concepts that are away from the usual, but wearing a skirt over my pants isn't my idea of trend setting. Sure it was one of the most innovative parts of the collection as it was used on almost every look, but it just doesn't work too well in the real world in most cases.
          I can't see anyone pulling this off successfully anywhere but the fashion capitals of the world, sure someone might be able to take a cool picture in front of their bathroom mirror, but can they rock it the whole day out in the public and not be scrutinized and chastised by families,friends,peers; I doubt it. If I wore that around where I live(typical USA), I would be stared at and whispered about every place I went. Also everyone would assume I was some sort of gothic vampire cross dresser wearing a leather mini skirt over my black pants and combat boots, and there would be about 0% chance of finding an attractive female around here if I were wearing those. And seeing that guy wear it with a bunch of random RO pieces that don't really go together very well, just really put me off the piece.

I think I saw a pic of you wearing it, and it actually looked good and somewhat natural because of the way you are able to wear RO and carry yourself and also being in Paris where nothing is too extreme as far as clothing. Your height also helps because everything looks proportionate on you and the "skort" looks more like a mid-layer piece like you describe it, making it seem more natural and in sync with your whole outfit, you also choose better pieces to complement it in your outfit as opposed to what this guy chose to wear with his.

So in conclusion, I think it is a interesting concept that RO could build on and eventually make more appealing and versatile,but it just doesn't work for my life.

Comment

• Ivans On High
            Banned
            • Oct 2008

I think the second picture is infinitely better than the first, however, I feel that the skirt requires an additional top layer to 'work' properly. I think the RO NY gallery does this best with a blazer.

I also agree with Chant that this is one of the most interesting innovations in the FW 09 collection.

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

I don't think either of these work visually. I can live with the man skirt and, indeed, have seen it down well around here.
              Never has a piece depended so much on the rest of an outfit to really work aesthetically.
              I think the layers make it interesting and the rest of the outfit has to really meet the skort half way, so to speak.

The longer ones are really impressive when done right...CDG, I believe I remember seeing in the WAYWT via Mike Nouveau or Andrew.

This RO one in both photos looks like a disused black leather miniskirt from one of Satan's cheerleaders or something. I can see the appeal of it in very, very limited outfits (and it works in the lookbook shots) but very few people could pull this off without looking like they are heading to the local anime convention.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• editevening
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                I think the second picture is infinitely better than the first, however, I feel that the skirt requires an additional top layer to 'work' properly. I think the RO NY gallery does this best with a blazer.

I also agree with Chant that this is one of the most interesting innovations in the FW 09 collection.
                i agree with this. The skort is dropping the waistline in appearance and requires a longer layer on top. Wearing a short top and a skirt doesn't look good on any dude, in any way.

I can't see anyone pulling this off successfully anywhere but the fashion capitals of the world, sure someone might be able to take a cool picture in front of their bathroom mirror, but can they rock it the whole day out in the public and not be scrutinized and chastised by families,friends,peers; I doubt it.
                If you're buying a skort and you live in bumblefuck, arkansa than you probably already know what you're getting into.
                #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• Originally posted by Silk View Post
                  I don't want to piss anyone off who may like those "skorts", but they just don't seem to be adding anything appealing on a male. It is so short it should be classified as just a skirt(Is there a seam dividing the two sides, which makes them "shorts" like? I cant tell). I am all for a new interesting concepts that are away from the usual, but wearing a skirt over my pants isn't my idea of trend setting. Sure it was one of the most innovative parts of the collection as it was used on almost every look, but it just doesn't work too well in the real world in most cases.
                  I can't see anyone pulling this off successfully anywhere but the fashion capitals of the world, sure someone might be able to take a cool picture in front of their bathroom mirror, but can they rock it the whole day out in the public and not be scrutinized and chastised by families,friends,peers; I doubt it. If I wore that around where I live(typical USA), I would be stared at and whispered about every place I went. Also everyone would assume I was some sort of gothic vampire cross dresser wearing a leather mini skirt over my black pants and combat boots, and there would be about 0% chance of finding an attractive female around here if I were wearing those. And seeing that guy wear it with a bunch of random RO pieces that don't really go together very well, just really put me off the piece.

I think I saw a pic of you wearing it, and it actually looked good and somewhat natural because of the way you are able to wear RO and carry yourself and also being in Paris where nothing is too extreme as far as clothing. Your height also helps because everything looks proportionate on you and the "skort" looks more like a mid-layer piece like you describe it, making it seem more natural and in sync with your whole outfit, you also choose better pieces to complement it in your outfit as opposed to what this guy chose to wear with his.

So in conclusion, I think it is a interesting concept that RO could build on and eventually make more appealing and versatile,but it just doesn't work for my life.
                  I see you wear clothes for completely different reasons. Do you realise people might do it for a higher level of creativity in their life, rather than looking "hot" so they can find a girl/boyfriend?

Being ridiculed isn't an argument as to why you shouldn't dress the way you want. If you let those powers control you, you will have no voice of your own. Who are you living your life for? Are you living to satisfy others who are unsettled by *gasp* a skirt on someone without a vagina? OMG THE HORROR.

seriously. Cher said that being fashion forward is a dirty job. You clear the path for the rest of the world to feel comfortable in their own crazy ideas, but you will get thorned on the way. people will think you look like an ass. Someone with a vision doesn't care.

I've been harassed, ignored, assaulted and abused since I was a little boy, because I didn't fit in. And not until recent years have I made anything good with it exactly by expressing myself, whereever I am, whatever I do. There's no other way for me where I can feel healthy and true to myself. My life is full of creative people that pour their hearts out for their art each day and they value what I am. People afraid of men in skirts don't.

So, wearing a skirt will get you ridiculed. That's not an argument for dismissing it as bad taste.

Isuck is actually one of the very few in here I find have a fun and easygoing relation to their clothes. I thought I was the only one. I'd pick his waywt over almost anyone else in here. I read humour into what he does, something which many people lack. they want to be taken seriously, look tasteful, dark, somber, intelligent, cultivated.

I'm not dismissing their relation to clothes, but pouring shit over someone who has a different approach and might not follow the classic ancient greece rules of proportion of it is not a valid reason imo.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• dolochov
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                    My facial expression while reading through your post went from to to .

As strongly as I agree on your point of clothing being more than merely a means to increase your attractivity, as emphatically do I have to dissent from your interpretation of iSuck's outfit.

All I see in his fits is the same superficiality you denunciate above while talking about people only dressing to get laid, it's just that his shallowness materializes through jumping on each and every high fashion bandwagon he can lay his hands on.

Comment

• and that's exactly whats so funny about him. But maybe i'm overappreciating the intelligence of his humour.

Comment

• Silk
                        • Jan 2009

I don't dress to impress anyone but myself, as I always have. I also don't dress to get laid, the type of girl I'm interested in would be into more than just my clothing. People don't get into fashion to get laid...I have a serious interest in the art form, but not everything is feasible for me to wear.

I still dress with standards that I was raised on based on my location, family, friends, etc. I was raised where women wear skirts and men wear pants, and me wearing a skirt isn't gonna change their minds, except maybe them questioning my sexuality. I still dress somewhat conservatively, even though I am wearing full designer, I am still wearing pants, shirt, and boots. I think everyone has their own standards on what they find acceptable for people to wear, with this forum being about as open as it gets. Sure I could wear the skirt and take the ridicule, but I'd rather not. Not that I couldn't wear it and wear it well, but I don't want to, because I think it is ridiculous. More power to ya if you want to spend the money on it and wear it a couple of times, because I bet that is all the use it would get, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

Comment

• I'm sorry if my post came across as somewhat harsh against you in particular, it just triggered a train of thought that was barely connected to what you said. I just want to make sure I didn't mean anything I said in an aggressive way.

One thing I need to make clear is though, that men wearing skirts WILL change their mind. In the long run. Fundamental changes take time.

Have you questioned why you think it's ridiculous? I know, you might not find interest in wearing a skirt, but it's actually much harder to find out what really interests you when it comes to "taboo" subjects , just because we're trained to censor ourselves to what's appropriate. and we rarely question why. When I was younger I was obsessed with long hair, I brushed my cousins and braided their hair all the time when they came over. It wasn't until 4 years ago, when I was 16 that I realised I could have long hair myself. And I had been exposed to normcritisive friends for 2 years prior to that since I had come out as homosexual when I was 14. so 2 years of hanging out with people who bent rules was needed for me to even consider growing my own hair. And not until 2 years ago did I realise I could wear high heels if I wanted to. And took about another year before I dared to actually do it in public without fearing being beaten up in public.

It's not as easy as you think being yourself. And you're probably way "weirder" than society lets you. So I find what Rick Owens does amazing. He makes straight men wear skirts and high heels. it's quite an achievement!!!

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                            I can't say I like the outfit at all. He looks like the ultimate fashion victim. I think I would say the same no matter who wore the outfit.
                            apparently people who've met the guy in person say he pulls it all off with a certain aplomb. That not considered, the way he puts his clothes together is the zenith of fashion victimhood.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                              He makes straight men wear skirts and high heels. it's quite an achievement!!!
                              With you on the heels, but I never think of the "skirts" as such, to me they feel actually very masculine. I never once thought I was wearing a skirt, especially with the layering it takes on a different meaning for me. I recently bought the woven cashmere sleeveless top, which even in a size S goes all the way to your knees when you're 6' and while you could say it's a dress, it very much feels like something a medieval knight would have worn, the contrast being the material it's made of, which is softer than soft. This is what interests me and this is how I understand what Rick is doing - it's not about making men cross-dress, but about defining a new masculinity playing with things that actually go way back.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• it's not about crossdressing at all. crossdressing is an invalid term.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎