• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genevieveryoko
    • Sep 2009

but you can buy knock-offs...

i don't.

most good designers get knocked-off, some even take it as a compliment ;)

it's inevitable...
    it's life!
    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
      You didn't describe rick owens...you described skateboarding circa 1992.
      Were they wearing chain wallets?

I perceive a backlash...

genevieveryoko, you are right that it is inevitable, but it could mean that some people who bought RO until now will stop buying his clothes. I have nothing by Rick and my desire for a RO leather has vanished. And, you are right again, that's life. So I moved on and want a Julius leather now.

Comment

• Castor
        • Nov 2009

I think RO may have a broader appeal, now that I myself have gained interested and purchased my first leather this season. However, that does not diminish his talent or the unique and special quality of his clothes. People will always "move on" as a fashion designer gains popularity, but that typically is the person who must always have what is "new" and "insider" above all else. I suppose once RO opened a store in NYC, he was bound to both gain a new clientele and lose some existing ones for going too mass in their eyes.
        Originally posted by DRRRK
        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post

it's inevitable...
          it's life!
          basically. the only one immune from this is yohji. then again, pretty much in a way everyone copies yohji sooner or later in the fashion cycle.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• genevieveryoko
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
            genevieveryoko, you are right that it is inevitable, but it could mean that some people who bought RO until now will stop buying his clothes. I have nothing by Rick and my desire for a RO leather has vanished. And, you are right again, that's life. So I moved on and want a Julius leather now.
            Jeffrey Campbell knocked off the Ann D. Spring 09 sandal booties and the triple lace talon heel boots. Does that mean I want them any less? No.

Do I follow Rick Owen's clothing? No. But I follow the things he says. And he doesn't mind that his clothes are gaining mass appeal.

p.s. when I visited the RO store in NY all the sales people were black...that guy with the facial tats is so hot
            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• tricotineacetat
              • Aug 2009

My worst nightmares became true today - I had some pieces ordered for myself from the current winter season, as part of the re-orders that the store I am buying for had made... unfortunately all of the pieces I got were too large for me, I would have loved to keep these otherwise...!

This is what I got:

Sleeveless stand collar doeskin 'Samurai' jacket, size S

I'm really liking the collar to be left open without the top button fastened. Like that, it makes sense that it flares out slightly around the hips as some of the other jackets he's done this season. The wrapped look would have come out nicer if the jacket was more adjusted in the waist, though... I was thinking that it would look nice indoors with a long or short sleeved tee underneath and for outdoors with a coat over it, with just the high neck revealed.

Poplin/wool gauze layered swing pants, size S

Definitely my favourite material combination for this style (actually love the wool in all available pants, it drapes so nicely) - they look okay in the image but are altogether a bit too puffy, resulting from having to tie them in a lot... I'm sure they would look nice and less 'bell-shaped', if they weren't as strongly gathered in the waist.

Waxed leather 'Elephant' boots, size 40

I must say, these boots are by far the most impressive piece of men's footwear I've seen from Rick Owens - Having seen them in a few other images before and especially unworn as they are, they made a very weird impression to me at first (similarily to certain designs by Pierre Hardy or Helmut Lang in his late heydays) and I had worried if they would fit securely on the foot, since they do not really 'fit' around the ankle by design - actually, once you put them on, the boots are surprisingly flattering, with the bunched volume at the bottom and the narrowing shaft. The waxy, matte luster is also a nice touch for these, I'm sure the boots would wear in very nicely... They're unfortunately a bit small too small for me in 40, maybe one half size would have been better... I'm wondering if anyone else in here got the boots and what you guys are wearing them with?

I'm sorry to mention it here, but if anyone would be interested in these pieces, please feel free to send me a PM (I don't have 100 posts yet for me to permit opening a thread in the market forum).

Comment

• DANSER
                • Nov 2008

those boots are fantastic although it takes a certain man to pull em off i think

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post

For the record. I ordered the Dom coat in silk, since I couldn't find anywhere the wool/mohair version. I won't keep it (the fabric is too stiff, to shinny and to thin, i.e. not warm enough for the winter), but I thought I should share some pictures, since some members are interested in RO's formal design.

Shape is very interesting and original, especially the back, with the two lateral tails envelopping the central one, the oversized collar and the front tails forming an inverted V. No problem of bell shape btw.
                  As usual, shoulders are very narrow (more than CCP's ), and armholes are very tigh and high.

The shape looks like an unholy union between Damir Doma and CCP...
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
                    Indeed. I would also rather have that kind of fabric in a jacket than a coat, like that you find more ocassions to wear it out! Anyway, I thought that this season's Rick Owens collection - albeit very beautiful - didn't leave too many choices for effortless, day-to-day dressing. It will remain more of a dress coat in the wool, it's more of a jacketing fabric, rather than a coating wool... :/

Paul Harnden made a great black silk jacket...
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                      Jeffrey Campbell knocked off the Ann D. Spring 09 sandal booties and the triple lace talon heel boots. Does that mean I want them any less? No.

Do I follow Rick Owen's clothing? No. But I follow the things he says. And he doesn't mind that his clothes are gaining mass appeal.

p.s. when I visited the RO store in NY all the sales people were black...that guy with the facial tats is so hot
                      Of course he does not mind. It means more money.

To be honest, my problem was always my reaction to, or better against any form of hype. It is unbearable for me, no matter if it is music, fashion or the Iphone, the subject of endless discussions already. I know that beautiful music or clothes do not lose anything of their beauty if heard or worn by thousands and millions. It just irritates me. But I applaud everyone who is in no way irritated and acts like you do.

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

Still keep on trying each and everything I liked in the FW 09 runway show :

Comment

• DRRRK
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                          Still keep on trying each and everything I liked in the FW 09 runway show :

In spite of my post above I like most of the RO stuff you try. Even these boots.

Comment

• DamageX
                            • Dec 2008

You look great as usual Christian, the jacket looks good on you. That was one of my favorites from Crust.

Last edited by DamageX; 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                              • Nov 2006

Crust must be making you a poor man Christian

But that aside, your taste for this collection is very much in sync with mine [only I'm still playing catch up...]

Comment

• ardeetee
                                • Apr 2007

<3 palais royal

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡