• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yes or No?

$450 :-) I think it was around $1200 at Barneys, not uber crazy (cheaper than the plain Margiela ones!)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Per your request:

If this was a purchase that wouldn't limit your ability to buy other things (i.e. a substantial bargain) I would say "yes" to this piece. Like you said, it's pretty amazing, and it looks like it fits amazingly. However, as you mentioned, if you think some of the pieces from the new Junya collection are nicer, I would say save the money! I think Minya put it best when he said that if a piece only even satisfied him 80%, he wouldn't pick it up even it was marked 75% off. This doesn't satisfy me enough even to warrant the pretty decent markdown (which still leaves it in a price range I would consider "expensive" anyway). Personally, I like most of the new Junya collection better than this particular piece, but that's probably just because of the way my head is working at the moment, and it's obviously not your head. Save for one of those Polka dot dresses!

(unless you really need a light casual jacket, aside from the leathers I only saw one lighter MC jacket from said collection, and as far as light jackets go this is up there for me)

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Thanks, Servo! You pretty much articulated my thoughts.....I will wait and see if it does wind up being a serious bargain. I do need a light jacket, but this is definitely still expensive. Need to consider what I absolutely "need" for spring first.

Faust, $450 was my max. last time, you mind reader. [:P] I think it's still the highest I will go....

Very much appreciate the feedback, guys. [51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Seventh
          • Dec 2006

Laika,

just throwing in my 2 cents. It is a very cool jacket, but the color bothers me. Can you wear that color (tan/khaki) without problems? I second the opinion that if a choice about money must be made, save for the fall...

I do love the shoulders of the jacket though... (wavering a little...[:D])

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

Laika,

just throwing in my 2 cents. It is a very cool jacket, but the color bothers me. Can you wear that color (tan/khaki) without problems? I second the opinion that if a choice about money must be made, save for the fall...

[/quote]

Looks good with the basic black and white, I think.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Seventh"]

Laika,

[/quote]

Looks good with the basic black and white, I think.

[/quote]

I had thought to wear it with black and white actually. [:)] Seventh makes a good point though--beige is not such a good color for blondes. It is the best color for the jacket, I think--brings out the classic side of the trench, plus shows all the construction details--but it could potentially wash me out. Hmmmm (as the f/w list grows longer by the minute...must not be greedy, laika [A]).

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

It's funny you should say that Laika. I have an old style manual for well educated English ladies, from the 1940s and there is a whole chapter on how my blondes should dress. They say fair-haired girls look good in sand-coloured clothes. I'm always trying to persuade my girlfriend (very blonde) to wear beige clothes on this basis and she's not convinced, but I think it looks cute.

Comment

• nambla
                  • Sep 2006

xcoldricex regarding the nn sweater

NEY! seen this irl. the price is insane as posted and it's just too simple. i was really dissapointed seeing it live because it was one of my favourite looks from the catwalk

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]It's funny you should say that Laika. I have an old style manual for well educated English ladies, from the 1940s and there is a whole chapter on how my blondes should dress. They say fair-haired girls look good in sand-coloured clothes. I'm always trying to persuade my girlfriend (very blonde) to wear beige clothes on this basis and she's not convinced, but I think it looks cute.
                    [/quote]

They probably disapprove of grey, correct? Hitchcock had to fight Edith Head (head of costume department) to get Kim Novak to wear pale grey for Vertigo, as it went against the diktats of the time. As we know, the results were memorable. I'd encourage Laïka to find the exact colour, it might marry suprinsingly well with her complexion.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

margiela wallet

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Martin-Margiela-1...QQcmdZViewItem

oui ou non

still looking for a wallet for my brother, but this one looks good enough for me to keep myself. x:

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="dontbecruel"]It's funny you should say that Laika. I have an old style manual for well educated English ladies, from the 1940s and there is a whole chapter on how my blondes should dress. They say fair-haired girls look good in sand-coloured clothes. I'm always trying to persuade my girlfriend (very blonde) to wear beige clothes on this basis and she's not convinced, but I think it looks cute.
                        [/quote]

They probably disapprove of grey, correct? Hitchcock had to fight Edith Head (head of costume department) to get Kim Novak to wear pale grey for Vertigo, as it went against the diktats of the time. As we know, the results were memorable. I'd encourage Laïka to find the exact colour, it might marry suprinsingly well with her complexion.

[/quote]

dontbecruel, I have heard that as well, mostly from well educated sales associates. Those old manuals also say that blondes should never wear all black, because it makes them look like floating heads. [:^)] I know the look your talking about though--I've seen very pale blondes looking very striking in beige. I'm more honey-colored, so the effect is a bit different.

Fuuma, is that a no? What do you think an alternative/better color for a trench would be? I was thinking dove grey, which has a bit of brown in it...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"]margiela wallet

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Martin-Margiela-1...QQcmdZViewItem

oui ou non

still looking for a wallet for my brother, but this one looks good enough for me to keep myself. x:[/quote]

I say keep for yourself. There are certain things you don't get for certain people who don't have a certain appreciation for certain style, so be certain when you buy something like this. My wife makes that mistake all the time, and then she gets dumbfounded looks from the giftee.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
                            • Sep 2006

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ hahahahaha, nice!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

LOL.....Oh dear, that's very encouraging....

thanks, Buckwheat! [:D] I'll have to hold on to that and remember it for Fall (not that I need motivation [:S]) xx

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎