Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Jogu: Um, care to name the scent Mystery Man?

I just went to Barneys and walked out with two scents that I realized were love/hate kind of scents.

M/Mink by Byredo and Un Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfum/Frederic Malle. I'd gone in with no expectation of what I'd buy, if anything. The only plan I had was to check out Oud Immortel (from which I smelled no Oud, btw) and hopefully to find a unisex rose inflected with woods and cat pee.

M/Mink smells exactly like asian stick inks - the ones you rub into a stone to turn into a paste. Stick ink, tallow and temple incense. I had very strong, and not necessarily positive associations, with each other those things separately. Over time, they'd withered in my memory. Somehow putting those three things together made a fragrance that really startled me.

Un Fleur de Cassie is also a strange one if you've never smelled the cassie flower. I think it's a stunner.

That said, I think you have to test both these fragrances first - I'm sure they're divisive ones...as with most niche fragrances, these are "unisex." (In any case, you should just wear what you want, in my opinion. who is to say that only women can wear rose?)

MBD

bee-tee-dubs: evidently, there was no such thing as a gendered fragrance until the 20th century, when it was created by modernizing perfume houses (and their equivalent of perfume marketers.)
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
      • Oct 2010

I just looked back a few pages in this thread and noticed that Dane mentioned Mmink - and I'd forgotten he did. I smelled all the byredo, l,a., the frederic Malle stuff and what little nassammottoo they had left.

From byredo: the accord oud was preferred over the immortel, which had sweet, red berry notes on patchouli. The accord was a spicy, incense oriental - not very original. I liked chembur-no surprise there. Took samples home of bal'afrique, which seemed so pedestrian at first sniff, the oud immortel, and the m/mink. I'll try the oud immortal for a whole day and then comment here.

Got three l'A samples, including 10, the barneys exclusive. From Malle, I got 5 huge spray samples: portraits of a lady, carnal flower, noir epices, dans tees bras (in your arms.) love the portrait of a lady - a dirty rose in flight - and a sample of fleur de cassie. Am trying Carnal Flower by ropion first. Very promising...

Mbd
      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• munch
        • Aug 2008

hey umm I went and tried the Odeur 71 this weekend - actually prefer the 53 after all. kinda think it was a bit sweeter than the 53?

also went to try the Laurel one by cdg / monocle - pretty nice actually. not for me but but still nice. they didn't have the Hinoki in stock at all so I didn't even get to see it, after reading about it here :( not a huge fan of all the other perfumes they had by CdG though... can't really remember the names of them. incense and guerilla and 888 and stuff.

moar rekommandations for unusual ones please! no fruity or too wood-y/musky or whatever that is popular right now, not strong etc.

thanks

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Une Fleur de Cassie is one of my all-time favs...it's a bit less almond-y as of late, but still beautiful stuff. Very strange, erotic, carnal...more so than Carnal Flower even.

munch - samples in the mail for you...hoping that S-ex is the winner. Will think of other ideas in the meantime...
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

dearest dane, any recommendations for a dark and earthy scent without even a hint of sweetness?

if it helps (though my experience is limited) I found encre noire to be a touch heavy and headache inducing and cdg avignon to be slightly too linear
            I like incense, wood, ink
            I dislike citrus and vanilla

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by aussy View Post
              dearest dane, any recommendations for a dark and earthy scent without even a hint of sweetness?

if it helps (though my experience is limited) I found encre noire to be a touch heavy and headache inducing and cdg avignon to be slightly too linear
              I like incense, wood, ink
              I dislike citrus and vanilla
              If you want a more subtle version of Encre Noire, try Sycomore by Chanel or Vetyver by Givenchy.

Dry, smoky things - Dzonkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur; any of the Incense Series from CDG; Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange; Gucci Pour Homme (the original brown one); Bois d'Iris by The Different Company.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

ah god dammit... was waiting to buy that damir six scents from luckyscent until after my bday (just in case) and of course it's sold out now. does anyone have another line on a bottle?

Edit: found it on sevennewyork.com, here's hoping they actually have it and ship it.
                Last edited by t-bone; 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• nahneun
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                  ah god dammit... was waiting to buy that damir six scents from luckyscent until after my bday (just in case) and of course it's sold out now. does anyone have another line on a bottle?

Edit: found it on sevennewyork.com, here's hoping they actually have it and ship it.
                  glad you were able to find another bottle! it's a great fragrance

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

Thanks, Dane! really appreciate the more mainstream suggestions which I can find thereby sniff easily

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I want to sell my sealed bottle of Gareth Pugh for Six Scents. What should it fetch on an open market?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I want to sell my sealed bottle of Gareth Pugh for Six Scents. What should it fetch on an open market?
                        50-60

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Really? Meh. I thought it's become a collector's item of sorts...
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Really? Meh. I thought it's become a collector's item of sorts...
                            Maybe on a fashion forum...but not on a perfume forum. Are there forums were Pugh is popular?

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

How about this one?
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

I do think I remember somebody around here calling him
                                the 'John Cage' of fashion or 'Genius' or something ...

So yes why not.

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM.
                                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍