Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

The John Cage bit might have been me. But obviously you are quoting out of context.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
      The John Cage bit might have been me. But obviously you are quoting out of context.
      Full post here.
      I hope you don't mind me linking mrbeuys, I just think it's a great post.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• TheThief
        • Mar 2011

Any recommendations on the dark, churchy inscense front (other than Messe de Minuit and CDG Avingon)? I'm looking for something that smells like Cire Trudons' Spiritus Sancti or Carmelite but for my skin!

Merci d'avance.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
          Any recommendations on the dark, churchy inscense front (other than Messe de Minuit and CDG Avingon)? I'm looking for something that smells like Cire Trudons' Spiritus Sancti or Carmelite but for my skin!

Merci d'avance.
          Other than the two you mentioned, the closest I can think of would be Armani Prive's Bois d'Encens. Very pricey though...keep an eye open for the refill bottle.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• TheThief
            • Mar 2011

Hey Dane - I've actually been on the hunt for that one for quite some time. Any suggestions on where to look?

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Hey Dane - I've actually been on the hunt for that one for quite some time. Any suggestions on where to look?
              If you're talking about something other than paying retail, keep an eye on this site:

Also, Basenotes, and the usual discounters like Fragrancenet, Fragrancex, Beautyencounter, etc. You never know when things will pop up...TJMaxx actually had a huge shipment a few years back.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                • Oct 2010

Merci d'avance.
                I'm into churchy, incense-y scents, too (Spiritus Sancti has been my #1 favorite to work to for the last few years - I'd burn it and turn up the Messiaen organ pieces).

Fragrances in that direction are many since the incense accord has been, heh, on fire recently. Obviously, there's the CDG incense series: Zagorsk and Avignon are the closest to Spiritus Sancti, in my opinion. Heeley's Cardinal is very, very similar to Avignon, though with an astronomical price tag. Olivier Durbano's White Crystal, L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer and my favorite in the incense genre, L'Artisan's Timbuktu (incense that manages to distinguish itself in a saturated field through the use of an unusually cool, white smoke note.) All are worth trying.

MBD
                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

^^ good choices.

Thought of another - Aesop's Mystra.

Comment

• TheThief
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks for all the help, I have a lot of smelling to do!

Comment

• Castor
                      • Nov 2009

I also think Andy Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain would qualify as a dry incense with loads of spice.
                      Originally posted by DRRRK
                      The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• bryantyj
                        • Jun 2010

Finally got to test the nasomatto scents. Pretty interesting but I must say that somehow it manipulates itself quite quickly on the skin.

Comment

• Jouw
                          • Jul 2009

I currently use Dior Eau Noir and Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur. Love them both!

Comment

• aussy
                            • Jul 2011

I caved and ordered Avignon after enjoying a sample. Wanted an extra bit of oomph to the scent, another note to make it a bit less linear. BUT, could take me a while to find Time to start sampling your suggestions, Dane.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by aussy View Post
                              I caved and ordered Avignon after enjoying a sample. Wanted an extra bit of oomph to the scent, another note to make it a bit less linear. BUT, could take me a while to find Time to start sampling your suggestions, Dane.
                              I used to wear it layered with Montale's Original Aoud, which is also fairly linear. Together they made a whole fragrance.

Comment

• TheThief
                                • Mar 2011

So after all the suggestions I went with the Heely Cardinal, While similar to avignon, on my skin it smells exactly like Cire Trudons spiritus sancti. Plus I had a gift certificate which greatly reduced its otherwise inflated price.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎